Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN Community,
So here's the deal. This past application cycle, I applied to a few Canadian schools thinking I had no chance of getting in (there's no reapplicant stigma in Canada) and that I would just reapply this year. My ugrad GPA was A-OK so during the year, I focused on improving my ECs (which I have, rather *significantly*) so I'd have a solid application come summertime (now). The only real blemish on my app is my VR score for the MCAT which was 3 points lower than my average practice scores - I think the noise level got to me because I had been doing practice exams alone. So I was planning on re-writing the MCAT in Aug.
The thing is I did get in this year, but I'm not thrilled about the school. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful and thrilled I got in, I'm just not that thrilled that I got into *this particular school*. And I know people always say that you should only apply somewhere you'd go but at the time, I really didn't think I was getting in anywhere and just thought I'd give it a very irrational go and maybe get an interview which would be good practice for the following year (I know, very stupid)... Also, there aren't any real rankings in Canada and therefore I should be beyond ecstatic because getting into a Canadian school, is well... getting into a Canadian school... But for some reason, I can't get past the fact that I had my heart set on another school. So I was thinking of deferring BUT if I defer, I won't be able to apply to my dream school since it's in the same province. BUT, I can apply to schools in the States. Now, I'd only attend a top-15 school from the States over the school I've gained admission to and I know I'd be pretty bummed out if I deferred a year to end up to going to this school anyways.
So basically, what would you do in my situation? Has anyone deferred and gotten into a better school or a school that they had preferred over the one they had gotten into the year before? And if not, did you regret deferring?
Also, I'm basically guaranteed 3-4 pubs if I stick around and finish up the research project I'm working on. Do any of you guys know if pubs you got before getting into med school will help you come residency apps time? I'm just trying to justify deferring even if things don't necessarily work out as planned!
Sorry for rambling (I'm up way past my bed time) and I really would appreciate any feedback asap because I'm running out of time.
Also, please don't flame me - I've been wrestling with this decision for some time and am perfectly aware that some may think I'm being ridiculous - in fact, I feel that way some of the times which is why I'm having such a hard time making up my mind... Anyways, I really do need some advice and was hoping you guys would give me your opinions on the situation...
Thanks a tonne!
Monette 🙂
So here's the deal. This past application cycle, I applied to a few Canadian schools thinking I had no chance of getting in (there's no reapplicant stigma in Canada) and that I would just reapply this year. My ugrad GPA was A-OK so during the year, I focused on improving my ECs (which I have, rather *significantly*) so I'd have a solid application come summertime (now). The only real blemish on my app is my VR score for the MCAT which was 3 points lower than my average practice scores - I think the noise level got to me because I had been doing practice exams alone. So I was planning on re-writing the MCAT in Aug.
The thing is I did get in this year, but I'm not thrilled about the school. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful and thrilled I got in, I'm just not that thrilled that I got into *this particular school*. And I know people always say that you should only apply somewhere you'd go but at the time, I really didn't think I was getting in anywhere and just thought I'd give it a very irrational go and maybe get an interview which would be good practice for the following year (I know, very stupid)... Also, there aren't any real rankings in Canada and therefore I should be beyond ecstatic because getting into a Canadian school, is well... getting into a Canadian school... But for some reason, I can't get past the fact that I had my heart set on another school. So I was thinking of deferring BUT if I defer, I won't be able to apply to my dream school since it's in the same province. BUT, I can apply to schools in the States. Now, I'd only attend a top-15 school from the States over the school I've gained admission to and I know I'd be pretty bummed out if I deferred a year to end up to going to this school anyways.
So basically, what would you do in my situation? Has anyone deferred and gotten into a better school or a school that they had preferred over the one they had gotten into the year before? And if not, did you regret deferring?
Also, I'm basically guaranteed 3-4 pubs if I stick around and finish up the research project I'm working on. Do any of you guys know if pubs you got before getting into med school will help you come residency apps time? I'm just trying to justify deferring even if things don't necessarily work out as planned!
Sorry for rambling (I'm up way past my bed time) and I really would appreciate any feedback asap because I'm running out of time.
Also, please don't flame me - I've been wrestling with this decision for some time and am perfectly aware that some may think I'm being ridiculous - in fact, I feel that way some of the times which is why I'm having such a hard time making up my mind... Anyways, I really do need some advice and was hoping you guys would give me your opinions on the situation...
Thanks a tonne!
Monette 🙂
