Please help me make an important decision!

Started by Monette
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Law2Doc said:
You have a warped view of what creates a best doctor and have unrealistic expectations of the top 15 schools. The best doctors in the US come from throughout the ranks of US med schools. The credentials of students in schools 11-15 is indistinguishable from, say, schools 16-20. In some cases, schools ranked lower actually have better teaching because the ranking is driven by research grants and those profs at the higher ranked research schools have a stronger focus on things outside of the classroom. A number of schools outside of the top 20 have match lists as strong as the top 15. I think you are buying in too much into the US News mystique. I also think from your posts that you continue to exude an air of entitlement that may not be borne out in your application cycle, and will be wasting some time and money. But if you think you know best, go for it. :luck:

👍 Awesome post. I definitely echo this sentiment. Attending a top 15 school certainly does not transform you into a better physician than a student attending a middle tier school. I don't even believe there is a correlation to this. There is so much more involved in becoming "the best darn physician you can be." I now that you will respond to this that you know that, but I question if you really do. You seem so hung up on rankings. You're still dwelling over turning down a scholarship at a more prestigious undergrad. Maybe you should go for it, but I think the reason is more centered around prestige than being the best physician you can be.

I also wonder why you are not ecstatic about getting into this school since you thought you were not going to get in at all this application cycle! I'm not trying to be harsh, but there are many students that have the credentials to get into medical school that don't every year.
 
docmode said:
Monette,
I just read the entire post. I think you should give it a try. Unless you are an older applicant you can't lose. I think you should be having a true feeling about your MCAT score by now since you are teaching at Kaplan. The only bad thing that could happen is that your MCAT score might not change. I think you should be mentally prepared to have that happen and if it does still be satisfied with deferring. Your GPA is so high that you should get interviews here if your MCAT is at least 33 or 34. It sounds like that is possible with a significant improvement in V. I don't think it is the end of the world to postpone med school for one year, especially if then you will be satisfied you gave it everything you had to go to a top US school. Personally, I think it would be a great change for you, especially since you are so research oriented. Go for it agressively now, I think you can do it. Good luck.

I think I'm actually gonna need a 36+ on the MCAT for me to have any chance whatsoever. And, thanks for the vote of confidence, and the encouraging words.

Sending virtual happy thoughts your way 🙂
Monette
 
braluk said:
one thing i do ponder is, why did you apply to these schools if you figureed that you would not be very happy being there? Was it a safety that you did not choose to further research in?

It sounds like she didn't really realize that it might be a bad fit for her until the interview. That's part of what interviewing is about - they want to see if you're a good fit for them, and you want to see if the school is a good fit for you. No harm in that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Law2Doc said:
You have a warped view of what creates a best doctor and have unrealistic expectations of the top 15 schools. The best doctors in the US come from throughout the ranks of US med schools. The credentials of students in schools 11-15 is indistinguishable from, say, schools 16-20.

I don't think I necessarily have unrealistic expectations of the top-15 schools. I have not said nor do I believe that the prestige and recognition associated with these institutions alone will automatically grant me the success I desire in my career. I am well aware that I will have to work extremely hard to accomplish my goals and that my success (or failure) to do so primarily and ultimately depends on my work ethic and attitude (regardless of what medical school I attend). However, there are outside factors that may influence the latter; namely my general level of happiness and psychological well being which I think can be largely determined by the school itself. Now, this may not hold true for you, but I believe it does for me. You may see it as superficial and the majority may agree but I can't help the fact that the general atmosphere of the school and how I feel I fit there affects my level of enthusiasm. Maybe an example at the other end of the spectrum may make you see things from my point of view. There are many people who turn down top school acceptances to stay in-state, near family, etc because that's what makes THEM happy. They follow what they believe will make them most comfortable because that will ultimately have a positive effect on their performance in medical school. I do not judge those people and I'm going to venture that you don't either. I don't see how those two situations are any different.

Also, not once have I said that graduates from top schools will become better doctors than those from other schools. If this truly were my belief, I would RESCIND the acceptance I have for fear that I am destined to become a crappy second-rate doctor should I choose to attend this particular school because I take that pretty seriously. But, as I have mentioned several times, I have no intention of following this course of action because that simply is not my belief system.

Law2Doc said:
In some cases, schools ranked lower actually have better teaching because the ranking is driven by research grants and those profs at the higher ranked research schools have a stronger focus on things outside of the classroom.

Again, to you this may actually render them lesser teachers. I, however would think that interdisciplinary work would broaden my horizons, enrich my career and provide me with greater personal satisfaction. In fact, it is for such opportunities I yearn to attend a top-15 school.

Law2Doc said:
A number of schools outside of the top 20 have match lists as strong as the top 15. I think you are buying in too much into the US News mystique. I also think from your posts that you continue to exude an air of entitlement that may not be borne out in your application cycle, and will be wasting some time and money. But if you think you know best, go for it. :luck:

I really do appreciate your feedback because you see things so differently from me which really allows me to ensure that I'm not neglecting some aspects in making this rather important decision. So, although I respect your opinions which have been thought-provoking as they have catalyzed some introspection and have forced me to re-evaluate what I really want, I really cannot understand where you see that I have a sense of entitlement. I am extremely bothered by that because to me it connotes arrogance which I consider to be one of the worst character traits for anyone, let alone for a physician. I hope the fact that it bothers me so much will convince you that I do NOT in fact exude the arrogance that would lead to some misconceived sense of entitlement.

Thanks again for your feedback. 🙂
Monette
 
Monette said:
However, there are outside factors that may influence the latter; namely my general level of happiness and psychological well being which I think can be largely determined by the school itself. Now, this may not hold true for you, but I believe it does for me. You may see it as superficial and the majority may agree but I can't help the fact that the general atmosphere of the school and how I feel I fit there affects my level of enthusiasm. Maybe an example at the other end of the spectrum may make you see things from my point of view. There are many people who turn down top school acceptances to stay in-state, near family, etc because that's what makes THEM happy. They follow what they believe will make them most comfortable because that will ultimately have a positive effect on their performance in medical school. I do not judge those people and I'm going to venture that you don't either. I don't see how those two situations are any different.

Again, if you were going to apply to a variety and range of other schools because of a specific deficit in the current school you were admitted to, or some reason you wouldn't be happy there (family, etc), I could accept that. But then to apply only to the top 15 schools because only at these places will you find what makes you happy is what I find misguided. Each of the top 15 schools is different, and most have their own sets of plusses and minuses and are often more similar with other schools lower on the US News list than they are to each other. And you will find ample research opportunities, high quality teaching, etc. at at least the top 50, and your odds of getting into one if you applied broadly would be significantly better. So clearly that's not it - it's not merely that you want more research opportunities -- only the top 15 will do. Thus we are forced to conclude that you are all about the prestige.
That's cool if that's what you are about, but fess up already.
 
megaman1x said:
Monette - You are Canadian right? And you were accepted into a Canadian school. I think you should accept it. I myself have been accepted into a Canadian Medical schol

Yes I'm a Canadian. Congrats on your acceptance! 🙂 👍 👍

megaman1x said:
Actually I read a few posts up that you will most likely want to practise in the US. However, you said you were uncertain. Why not keep your options open? It's easier as a Canadian doc to go to the US than it is for a US doc to come to Canada (because of different regulatory standards).

Yeah I'm not sure where I'll end up practising. Right now, I'm leaning (ever-so-slightly) to the option of going south. Also I have heard this before and it certainly is something I have tried to keep in mind.

megaman1x said:
PLUS, all 17 med schools in Canada are pretty much on par. Yes there are slight differences between them, but they are all generally considered to be very similar.

This is what everyone keeps on telling me and I do believe it is true because we don't really have "province" schools that would be equated with what is termed a "state school" in the US.

Thanks for the insights and again congrats on getting that coveted acceptance. 🙂

Monette
 
Monette said:
Also, not once have I said that graduates from top schools will become better doctors than those from other schools.

You said "My ultimate dream is to be the best darn doctor that I can be making my penultimate dream attending the best darn school that will take me." and then went on to say only the top 15 US schools would do. The inference is that to be the best darn doctor, you need to go to one of these schools...
 
Learfan said:
You got into a very good school. Congratulations.
Why Thank you!

Learfan said:
Now stop chasing illusions and dreams and mythical rankings that have zero relation to the business of becoming a licsensed physician and go there. Any attempt to chase a dream could result in the loss of everything you have worked for to date. The medical school application process is fickle beyond all belief. There is no reason to believe that if you have J number of publications or Z MCAT scores that some portal will swing open. People with great MCAT scores, terrific ECs and top notch grades get turned away from schools rated as only fair on whatever rating system you choose to employ. Where you get your basic medical education matters very little. Getting excellent board scores, letters and grades will help you score that dream residency after you are admitted to the profession with an MD. You already have the prize in hand. Accept it and move forward.
Is that really possible simply by deferring? I can't disagree with anything else you've said but my reasons for considering deferral focused on the fact that I didn't feel this school will be a particularly good fit for me and that the opportunities that I may be interested in are rather limited there.

Learfan said:
I go to a school that was not a dream. It was, however, in state so the tuition is low and the institution places people in good residencies in all areas of medicine. Since I have no desire to enter academic medicine, this worked just fine.
That's another thing I was concerned about - most of the students from this school matched into fam medicine, which is one of the few specialties I'm pretty sure I do NOT want to enter.

Learfan said:
Do not chase dreams based on criteria set by people who do not matter and who you will never meet. Chase reality.
Martin Luther King would be mightily disappointed in you. I'm absolutely sure of it. 😀

All kidding aside, your points are extremely valid which is why I'm in such a pickle right now.

Monette
 
Orthodoc40 said:
Nice - I like that...
😀

Orthodoc40 said:
Wow - I don't really understand how it could bother any person so much. Even so, Monette, if you defer a year and don't get into one of the schools you're dying to get into, will you be able to put it to rest at that time, or will it still bother you? If you tried 2 more times to get in, would it still bother you? 3 more times?? When are you definitely going to be able to let it go? If you are sure that you could let it go next year at this time, then maybe you need to try it.
Pathetic I know. And no, I won't apply a gazillion times just to get into a top school - I think just giving it A shot will give me the closure I need.

Orthodoc40 said:
It seems to me that the application process skews most people's thinking to some degree. It's tough to keep focused on the bigger picture. I don't think you've neglected it - I think if you focus on it, you'll find some way to be able to make your decision easier. Bigger picture is usually how the type of struggle you're having right now gets resolved.
I absolutely agree with this - focusing on the big picture really does help resolve most struggles... But four years is a long time...

Orthodoc40 said:
BTW, I don't really get the sense you feel entitled to anything, just that you are being bothered by something that really doesn't matter in the bigger picture. And yes, I definitely meant it when I said Congratulations on getting the acceptance!
Thank you and Thank you! Did I mention that you're awesome already because you clearly are - in my book at least 🙂

Monette
 
ssc_396 said:
That is simply not true. If you do your MD at an American school you can apply in the first round of the match along with Canadian grads in all provinces except Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Nova Scotia. See: http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/applying/eligibility
You are not treated as an IMG. The only problem is if you do residency in the US, then it can be difficult to practice in Canada.

Monette, as I said in the other forum I turned down an acceptance to a top 10 school in the US to stay in Canada. My reasons for doing this are mainly financial. I did prefer my American option overall, but this was because I liked the city (New York), the patient diversity and variety of options that go along with a huge center. But I decided that these are not worth the extra 150-200K debt I would incur studying in the US. There is no difference at all in the quality of training between any of the top 10 schools I interviewed at and Canadian schools. In fact, I think the clinical exposure is better in Canada. US schools are only vastly superior when it comes to research opportunities. If you’re a lab rat it might be worth the extra cost to study in the US.

See at this point, I don't care about the money - I think you only live once and I'd rather be in debt and happy than debt-free and always wondering about what may have been. Not very economically sound from the perspective of cost-benefit analyst, I know.

But you're right - the training here in Canada is absolutely superb which is why I'll only trade it for a top school in the US. And the research opportunities are enticing - I would rather explore that option before ruling it out so that I have no regrets in the long run...

Monette
 
braluk said:
one thing i do ponder is, why did you apply to these schools if you figureed that you would not be very happy being there? Was it a safety that you did not choose to further research in?

I addressed this earlier - I REALLY thought there was absolutely NO WAY I was getting in. I basically applied to apply as there is no reapplicant stigma in Canada. Also, I didn't find it to be a very good fit on interview day and was rather unimpressed by the lackluster/nonexistent research opportunities. Also, I've improved my application significantly since then which gives me a ever-so-tiny ray of hope that I may have a shot at a top-15 school. I guess a part of me feels that I've worked so hard that I should at least give it a shot...

Monette
 
AmyO said:
👍 Awesome post. I definitely echo this sentiment. Attending a top 15 school certainly does not transform you into a better physician than a student attending a middle tier school. I don't even believe there is a correlation to this. There is so much more involved in becoming "the best darn physician you can be." I now that you will respond to this that you know that, but I question if you really do. You seem so hung up on rankings. You're still dwelling over turning down a scholarship at a more prestigious undergrad. Maybe you should go for it, but I think the reason is more centered around prestige than being the best physician you can be.

I also wonder why you are not ecstatic about getting into this school since you thought you were not going to get in at all this application cycle! I'm not trying to be harsh, but there are many students that have the credentials to get into medical school that don't every year.

You're absolutely right! No harshness there. It's an incredibly random process and anybody who garners an acceptance (myself included, heck you can even put my name at the top of that list) should consider themselves vastly lucky as there are many equally if not more qualified applicants that get turned away for seemingly mysterious reasons that no rational being can account for. With regards to the rest of your post, please refer to my response(s) to Law2doc's posts since you seem to echo his sentiments.

Monette
 
How can YOU mess up your Verbal Reasoning Section of the MCAT, when obviously you can articulate your thoughts VERY WELL?

Anyways, I really have no advice for you(College Sophmore Pre med), but good luck with your dilemma. :luck:
 
Alright I've been reading through this thread and there have been a lot of good points made. I think it is silly for you to have wasted money applying in the first place if you thought there was absolutely no way you were going to get in, but that's water under the bridge. I think it is obvious what you want to do, and although others may think it is silly, selfish, unrealistic, etc it is your decision that you will have to live with. There is no way I would have attended and graduated from college had I listened to my family who thought I was all those things for wanting to get an education past HS, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't be going to med school if I didn't follow my heart 4 years ago. Coming to CA was not the "smart" thing for me to do (paying OOS tuition w/ absolutely no family support is never a good thing), nor was it practical (I couldn't convince my family paying for school would be better in the long run than getting a job right away.) Reapplying for you is not smart or practical either, but if you know you will regret it if you don't (which I knew I would with my decision) then do it and don't look back. You said yourself there is other things you can do this next year that will be beneficial to you so even if you end up going to the same school you're accepted at now, it will not have been for loss (except the $$).

That being said, I highly encourage you to look beyond US News & World Report rankings of the top 15. I would do some extensive research on the top 30 or so, think about what else you want in a med school other than research opps and prestige. These top schools move around every year, some may not accept applications from international students, and several except very very few international students that it might be worth concentrating on the others instead. There are fabulous schools that may not be in the top 15 according to US News now but are definitely on par with that caliber (U of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Pitt, etc.)

One last thing...as a Canadian, you will be considered an international student, right? Several schools require money upfront for all 4 years, plus you will have OOS tuition at any public school (UC's, U of Wash, etc). Make sure you know what you're getting into.
 
Monette said:
😀


Pathetic I know. And no, I won't apply a gazillion times just to get into a top school - I think just giving it A shot will give me the closure I need.


I absolutely agree with this - focusing on the big picture really does help resolve most struggles... But four years is a long time...


Thank you and Thank you! Did I mention that you're awesome already because you clearly are - in my book at least 🙂

Monette

Gee thanks! I hope something I've written has been useful for your decision making. Again, I don't want to tell you one way OR the other, but it does really seem to me like you want to give deferring a try. And as long as you know that if it doesn't work out in a year, you won't be in this same position next year, I think it sounds like you'll be happier giving it a try. Don't worry about it being unpopular, "wrong", "bad" or whatever, if that is what it's going to take to settle your mind about it. If you DO defer, though, spend a little time this year finding out more about the school you defer at, and talk to some graduates about it there somehow. Find out why people are matching into family medicine for real, so you're not left wondering later on.

BTW, as an undergrad I started school somewhere I wasn't that thrilled to go to. (I had applied to 3 music schools, and the one I wanted to go to didn't accept me that year.) After a couple of months there, I left, miserable. Ended up taking the year off, studying with the teacher I wanted to study with on my own, who taught at the school I wanted to go to, improved immensely in that year as a result, and got into the school I had originally wanted to go to the following year. This had nothing to do with prestige or ranking, though. And that's undergrad, a totally different case from medical school, where I don't think there's all THAT much difference b/w one and another (yes, there's some...), but I just wanted to let you know taking a year off can be a good thing, too. And you aren't forfeiting the acceptance, so if in your heart that's what you want to do, I think you might want to just do it. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These are the stats for the 2006 match from the carms (canadian resident matching service) website:

http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/statistics/report/re_2006-1

There are no schools that are drastically higher than the rest in terms of % of grads matching into FM -- they all fall within the ~ 20-40% range (except Memorial but you had 2 interviews in the same province so I presume you're not going there). I'm pretty sure I know what school you are talking about and there is A LOT of research going on there. Also, at the very least (no matter what school), 60% of grads will match in something other than FM. That means if you really want to specialize, there is a very good chance you will be able to. In fact, this will probably be no more difficult than if you went to your 'dream school'.

Anyway, congrats on your acceptance and I hope you can make some decision soon so you can be at peace with this.

Best of luck...
 
I missed your posts last night as I was trying to respond to all the other posts. Because I do appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out, I have tried to answer each post but I really don't want this thread to become a discussion about prestige. Here are my thoughts on the subject but I hope we can leave it at that...

Law2Doc said:
Again, if you were going to apply to a variety and range of other schools because of a specific deficit in the current school you were admitted to, or some reason you wouldn't be happy there (family, etc), I could accept that. But then to apply only to the top 15 schools because only at these places will you find what makes you happy is what I find misguided. Each of the top 15 schools is different, and most have their own sets of plusses and minuses and are often more similar with other schools lower on the US News list than they are to each other. And you will find ample research opportunities, high quality teaching, etc. at at least the top 50, and your odds of getting into one if you applied broadly would be significantly better. So clearly that's not it - it's not merely that you want more research opportunities -- only the top 15 will do. Thus we are forced to conclude that you are all about the prestige.
That's cool if that's what you are about, but fess up already.

OK – as I established in a previous post, we seem to have sharply contrasting views of what constitute pluses and minuses at different schools. And although certain minutiae or otherwise more significant characteristics may be shared by a top school and an unranked one, there is a common thread, an overriding theme if you will for the “top schools”. I’m thinking more along the lines of the big picture, the grand scheme of things… And it is this element that I am pursuing.

You accuse me of chasing a poorly defined and seemingly abstract variable for which we have concocted the term “prestige”. Fair enough, let’s define prestige then, shall we? What do you mean when you say “prestige”? Do you believe it simply refers to a name, a brand that will yield Oh’s and Ah’s of admiration from the masses, even from the most unsuspecting barefoot children in Sri Lanka? Do you think it simply epitomizes the grandeur and eliticism that is sure to widen the eyes, drop the jaws and induce the drools of the easily impressed Jon Does and their glassy-eyed significant others, the Jane Does? Do you think it is simply easy-on-the-eyes-purty buildings at Hahavad (long A, silent R of course)? To me the above description could easily pass for Paris Hilton (only replace buildings with something less thought-provoking; have mercy on the poor bricks – they can hear you) and the qualities embodied in her/that are certainly not things I would chase in anything… Really, if you mean that I want to go to a top school like Harvard to make people go ga-ga every time I drop the H-bomb, then you are surely and sorely mistaken. Most people I know are far more impressed with Canadian medical schools and would think that I only went to the States because I couldn't cut it here. But I don't care what people think of me or the school I attend (this includes people who work at US News), I only care what will ultimately make me happiest and most successful.

So you ask, and rightfully so, what is it that makes a school prestigious to me? What is this “prestige”, this “it” factor that is so elusive? It really is a myriad of qualities and aspects that result in an atmosphere every ambitious student will invariably want to be a part of. It is where unique and rare interdisciplinary and/or research opportunities are abundant. It is where you are more likely to be exposed to wonderful somethings that will trigger your imagination and make you think in dimensions and on levels you had not thought possible. It is where you start thinking outside the box. It is where you can make long-lasting connections with faculty who are widely and highly recognized in your field. It is where you will have access to top-notch facilities. It is where you will indisputably find yourself with equally motivated students who share your penchant for academic achievement and who themselves celebrate diversity to a level that matches the proclamations of the school in this regard. And it is where, being around some of the most diverse and unique students, you will be even more inspired to challenge yourself and achieve everything that you are capable of and more. It is where you will find yourself immersed in an environment where things simply click, and the quirks make sense. It is where you will have the opportunities to extend yourself beyond the classroom, even beyond medicine and allow your full potential to be realized through the integration of several fields. It is where you will be empowered to truly effect change. It is where doors open and the possible becomes probable, and the probable comes into being. (I am clearly an eternal romantic 😍 – I blame the music I listen to for that.) And maybe I’ve got it all wrong and I've been fooled but I think I've got a lot of people who are equally fooled who would back me up on this one...

If all the above is prestige, then yes that is certainly what I’m pursuing and what I think will make me happiest! But do not assume that I am saying simply by arriving at the grand gates of Harvard (let's just use Harvard as an example), I will suddenly have a transcendental transformation that leaves each of my thoughts suddenly and magically sprinkled with utter and sheer brilliance-dust. Just like at any other medical school, you have to put in the work and take advantage of the opportunities before you, at Harvard, you have the added responsibility of making use of those extra opportunities – you make of it what you can and what you want to make of it, it is up to you. I am just saying that there is more there and the environment is more conducive for you to capitalize and to achieve more. And maybe, that’s what it will take for me to drop a Canadian school. Because you know, Canada is pretty awesome despite what Conan may lead you to erroneously believe… 🙄

Also, I am not saying that any or all that is mentioned above (two paragraphs up) cannot be found at schools that fall outside of the top 15 or 20 or what have you – I just think these are the qualities that have bequeathed the schools in the top 15 with the reputation they have. You know, Harvard’s long history of commitment to excellence is what has allowed it to become synonymous with excellence today, yes, even to children in Sri Lanka. These things are earned, not handed. There’s more to Harvard than a nice ring to it. And there’s more to me than the pursuit of superficial rankings. But go ahead and dissect the above and argue in very lawer-ly terms about how my utterances lead you to the unflinching belief that your conclusions were in fact on target and that I am being a shallow Jane Doe. I expect little else from a lawyer, or an ex-one at that 😛

But hey, I still think you’re cool Law2Doc. This is in spite of the fact that you’re probably a Republican. 😎
 
Law2Doc said:
You said "My ultimate dream is to be the best darn doctor that I can be making my penultimate dream attending the best darn school that will take me." and then went on to say only the top 15 US schools would do. The inference is that to be the best darn doctor, you need to go to one of these schools...

I most certainly said that. And that only further substantiates my argument while weakening yours. What you have seemingly neglected to notice are the MYs and the MEs in the above statement. I was simply referring to MYSELF and by no means made the sweeping generalizations of which you accuse me. So once again, this reiterates the fact that I believe going to an institution that is deemed to be prestigious (by as misguided a ranking system as USNews) will, to my current and perhaps limited understanding make ME happier and allow ME to reach my full potential. And yes make me a better doctor for it. ME ME ME and MOI 😛

And now that even Narcissus would blush in shame for having used the words me, myself and I more times than previously thought possible in a single sentence, I’m going to avoid all the mirrors in my house for at least the next hour. It’s tougher than you think. We have a lot of mirrors 😛
 
Monette said:
I just think these are the qualities that have bequeathed the schools in the top 15 with the reputation they have.

Um no, the top 15 schools on the US News research ranking are there because they have the highest research funding. Nothing more. That is the driving force of that ranking. The rest is all mystique created by having a ranking system. None of the other qualities you suggest are ones that these schools have a monopoly on. And no, I'm not a republican, just a realist. Good luck.
 
monami said:
How can YOU mess up your Verbal Reasoning Section of the MCAT, when obviously you can articulate your thoughts VERY WELL?

Anyways, I really have no advice for you(College Sophmore Pre med), but good luck with your dilemma. :luck:

Well thanks for that... And you know, I've had many people wonder in amazement about this same issue. And I know they (and you) mean well, but it actually saddens me every time every time it comes up... It re-establishes my being a VR failure... 🙁

Ah well,
Monette
 
Law2Doc said:
Um no, the top 15 schools on the US News research ranking are there because they have the highest research funding. Nothing more. That is the driving force of that ranking. The rest is all mystique created by having a ranking system. None of the other qualities you suggest are ones that these schools have a monopoly on. And no, I'm not a republican, just a realist. Good luck.

I said I didn't want to go there... But why do you think they get more funding than other institutions?

And really? Not a republican? I'm genuinely though pleasantly surprised...
 
Monette said:
So once again, this reiterates the fact that I believe going to an institution that is deemed to be prestigious (by as misguided a ranking system as USNews) will, to my current and perhaps limited understanding make ME happier and allow ME to reach my full potential. And yes make me a better doctor for it.

This is just messed up. I feel bad for you.
 
chandelantern said:
Alright I've been reading through this thread and there have been a lot of good points made. I think it is silly for you to have wasted money applying in the first place if you thought there was absolutely no way you were going to get in, but that's water under the bridge. I think it is obvious what you want to do, and although others may think it is silly, selfish, unrealistic, etc it is your decision that you will have to live with. There is no way I would have attended and graduated from college had I listened to my family who thought I was all those things for wanting to get an education past HS, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't be going to med school if I didn't follow my heart 4 years ago. Coming to CA was not the "smart" thing for me to do (paying OOS tuition w/ absolutely no family support is never a good thing), nor was it practical (I couldn't convince my family paying for school would be better in the long run than getting a job right away.) Reapplying for you is not smart or practical either, but if you know you will regret it if you don't (which I knew I would with my decision) then do it and don't look back. You said yourself there is other things you can do this next year that will be beneficial to you so even if you end up going to the same school you're accepted at now, it will not have been for loss (except the $$).

I hope I can be as brave as you...

chandelantern said:
That being said, I highly encourage you to look beyond US News & World Report rankings of the top 15. I would do some extensive research on the top 30 or so, think about what else you want in a med school other than research opps and prestige. These top schools move around every year, some may not accept applications from international students, and several except very very few international students that it might be worth concentrating on the others instead. There are fabulous schools that may not be in the top 15 according to US News now but are definitely on par with that caliber (U of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Pitt, etc.)

Very true - U Chicago is definitely one I would be ecstatic to attend...

chandelantern said:
One last thing...as a Canadian, you will be considered an international student, right? Several schools require money upfront for all 4 years, plus you will have OOS tuition at any public school (UC's, U of Wash, etc). Make sure you know what you're getting into.

Hmmm... I thought they do just for the one year but I should definitely research that further...
 
Law2Doc said:
This is just messed up. I feel bad for you.

*Sniff* *Sniff*

Now that you've made me cry, you should make it up to me and explain yourself...
 
Orthodoc40 said:
Gee thanks! I hope something I've written has been useful for your decision making. Again, I don't want to tell you one way OR the other, but it does really seem to me like you want to give deferring a try. And as long as you know that if it doesn't work out in a year, you won't be in this same position next year, I think it sounds like you'll be happier giving it a try. Don't worry about it being unpopular, "wrong", "bad" or whatever, if that is what it's going to take to settle your mind about it. If you DO defer, though, spend a little time this year finding out more about the school you defer at, and talk to some graduates about it there somehow. Find out why people are matching into family medicine for real, so you're not left wondering later on.

HAHA... I didn't just say you're awesome because you were telling me that deferring wasn't that insane a move. It was because you didn't think I had a sense of entitlement... Yeah, I think I'm still torn... I'm not sure the closure gained from giving it a try will override the feelings of disappointment should things not work out in the application cycle...

Orthodoc40 said:
BTW, as an undergrad I started school somewhere I wasn't that thrilled to go to. (I had applied to 3 music schools, and the one I wanted to go to didn't accept me that year.) After a couple of months there, I left, miserable. Ended up taking the year off, studying with the teacher I wanted to study with on my own, who taught at the school I wanted to go to, improved immensely in that year as a result, and got into the school I had originally wanted to go to the following year. This had nothing to do with prestige or ranking, though. And that's undergrad, a totally different case from medical school, where I don't think there's all THAT much difference b/w one and another (yes, there's some...), but I just wanted to let you know taking a year off can be a good thing, too. And you aren't forfeiting the acceptance, so if in your heart that's what you want to do, I think you might want to just do it. :luck:

Then I'm surprised you don't understand that I still have regrets about staying in my undergrad school... You said that this stuff usually gets resolved within a few months which it clearly didn't in your case as you still decided to leave... How would you have felt had you stayed there after being miserable the first few months? Don't you think you would still have regrets today?

Monette
 
Monette said:
So you ask, and rightfully so, what is it that makes a school prestigious to me? What is this “prestige”, this “it” factor that is so elusive? It really is a myriad of qualities and aspects that result in an atmosphere every ambitious student will invariably want to be a part of. It is where unique and rare interdisciplinary and/or research opportunities are abundant. It is where you are more likely to be exposed to wonderful somethings that will trigger your imagination and make you think in dimensions and on levels you had not thought possible. It is where you start thinking outside the box. It is where you can make long-lasting connections with faculty who are widely and highly recognized in your field. It is where you will have access to top-notch facilities. It is where you will indisputably find yourself with equally motivated students who share your penchant for academic achievement and who themselves celebrate diversity to a level that matches the proclamations of the school in this regard. And it is where, being around some of the most diverse and unique students, you will be even more inspired to challenge yourself and achieve everything that you are capable of and more.
😎

Hi again Monette,

This was something I wanted to also mention to you before. It's understood that you used Harvard as 'an example' in your post, but I've been around a TON of students there for the past 4 years, and the descriptions above are farthest away from what goes on in that institution. Students there that I've met & spent time talking to are consistently disappointed in the total LACK of faculty presence, never mind faculty interest in teaching or mentoring. They (students) basically pay tuition to teach themselves. This is a message I've gotten from probably 95% of the students I've met there.
So, although I love your vision of what these schools might offer, again, I'm not exactly sure you're really going to find it where you think you're going to find it.
 
Orthodoc40 said:
Hi again Monette,

This was something I wanted to also mention to you before. It's understood that you used Harvard as 'an example' in your post, but I've been around a TON of students there for the past 4 years, and the descriptions above are farthest away from what goes on in that institution. Students there that I've met & spent time talking to are consistently disappointed in the total LACK of faculty presence, never mind faculty interest in teaching or mentoring. They (students) basically pay tuition to teach themselves. This is a message I've gotten from probably 95% of the students I've met there.
So, although I love your vision of what these schools might offer, again, I'm not exactly sure you're really going to find it where you think you're going to find it.

You know I've heard this mentioned before on these boards and it usually turns hostile when the Harvard-teers jump in with defensive rebuttals. Do you think it holds true for all the top schools? And why do people continue to attend said schools if they aren't representative of the excellence that students generally pursue them for in the first place?
 
Monette said:
Then I'm surprised you don't understand that I still have regrets about staying in my undergrad school... You said that this stuff usually gets resolved within a few months which it clearly didn't in your case as you still decided to leave... How would you have felt had you stayed there after being miserable the first few months? Don't you think you would still have regrets today?

Monette

Umm, let's just say there's more to miserable than I'd like to go into. It was really a necessity, not solely based on my not liking that school. It more had to do with me not wanting to go to any school at that particular time. If I had stayed, I would have been fine. I'm sure it would have allowed other possibilities that I missed out on by going where I did go. But, I'll never know now, and that's okay with me. Maybe I shouldn't have written it, because it was a different situation for me. But my point was just that if you feel strongly that you won't like it where you got in, deferring for a year isn't the end of the world, and could land up being really good for you.
 
jmnykrkts said:
These are the stats for the 2006 match from the carms (canadian resident matching service) website:

http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/statistics/report/re_2006-1

HAHA, I just looked this up today:
http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/statistics/report/re_2006#table3

Thanks for the link!

jmnykrkts said:
There are no schools that are drastically higher than the rest in terms of % of grads matching into FM -- they all fall within the ~ 20-40% range (except Memorial but you had 2 interviews in the same province so I presume you're not going there). I'm pretty sure I know what school you are talking about and there is A LOT of research going on there. Also, at the very least (no matter what school), 60% of grads will match in something other than FM. That means if you really want to specialize, there is a very good chance you will be able to. In fact, this will probably be no more difficult than if you went to your 'dream school'.

Very reasonable and true... Also, I think this needs to be mentioned.

To all the Canadian Sherlock Holmes detectives-turned-pre-meds, could you please refrain from announcing the school that you think accepted me? Although I got a few very encouraging and informative PMs, I got one yesterday from someone who apparently found this so intriguing that they decided it warranted becoming a member of SDN just so they can PM me to ask me what the school was! They hadn't even made a single post at that point. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were just really really curious and not particularly in tune with e-etiquette but that really came across as an anonymous cyber freak being uber creeptacular! Why is SDN a public forum again?

jmnykrkts said:
Anyway, congrats on your acceptance and I hope you can make some decision soon so you can be at peace with this.

Best of luck...

Thanks and I really do need to make a decision soon because this is driving me mad. I should either be focusing on studying for the MCAT or out having a good time and right now the weight of the situation is preventing me from accomplishing either to the glorified extent that would appease the bookworm and fun-lover (respectively) in me. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Monette said:
You know I've heard this mentioned before on these boards and it usually turns hostile when the Harvard-teers jump in with defensive rebuttals. Do you think it holds true for all the top schools? And why do people continue to attend said schools if they aren't representative of the excellence that students generally pursue them for in the first place?

I have no clue about other places - having only witnessed the Harvard scene. There's all kinds of reasons people attend these places. A lot of people chase rankings and prestigious names, especially uptight, competitive premed students. A lot of people are convinced they won't get a "good" residency unless they go to the highest ranked school they can get into. There's a ton of premed myths out there.

Of course the institution represents excellence, but it doesn't mean that is the educational environment you'll meet once enrolled. All I wanted to do was report that almost every student there I've talked to has told me it wasn't what you'd expect.
 
Just finished reading your posts. It is so clear that you would be shortchanging yourself not to give the US schools a try. You have nothing to lose. You are quite articulate and I can't imagine you will end with as low of a V score. Your GPA is so high that you will always regret it if you don't, you simply have worked too hard to stop now. So many med students think taking a year off is the only way to go anyway. If the money is not your biggest concern stop torturing yourself and hit the KAPLAN Verbal books. We think you can do it. With that GPA I can't imagine you'll let this test get you. Just do it! Good luck.
 
Orthodoc40 said:
Umm, let's just say there's more to miserable than I'd like to go into. It was really a necessity, not solely based on my not liking that school. It more had to do with me not wanting to go to any school at that particular time. If I had stayed, I would have been fine. I'm sure it would have allowed other possibilities that I missed out on by going where I did go. But, I'll never know now, and that's okay with me. Maybe I shouldn't have written it, because it was a different situation for me. But my point was just that if you feel strongly that you won't like it where you got in, deferring for a year isn't the end of the world, and could land up being really good for you.

Wow, I’m glad you had the presence of mind (even when evidently in a compromised emotional state) to pinpoint the problem, and the courage to take the steps to rectify it. I’m glad things turned out well for you and quite frankly from the sounds of it, it seemed like this experience really allowed you to grow and mature as a person as evidenced by the bolded statement… I really do envy your sense of peace and contentment – I think being haunted by the lack of these is what I fear the most in the event of things not panning out as planned.
 
Orthodoc40 said:
I have no clue about other places - having only witnessed the Harvard scene. There's all kinds of reasons people attend these places. A lot of people chase rankings and prestigious names, especially uptight, competitive premed students. A lot of people are convinced they won't get a "good" residency unless they go to the highest ranked school they can get into. There's a ton of premed myths out there.

Of course the institution represents excellence, but it doesn't mean that is the educational environment you'll meet once enrolled. All I wanted to do was report that almost every student there I've talked to has told me it wasn't what you'd expect.

Once again, you bring up a valid point. What I have been harping on at length is what I expect from these institutions as a direct result of what they have historically come to represent and what they boast they continue to epitomize to this day. I like to think that I have acknowledged that I may be sadly mistaken, which you say is seemingly the case at least at Harvard. What I do wonder is whether these opinions were exclusive of students in the NP program or whether students in the HST program expressed similar sentiments/concerns. But you know, it is rather unfortunate that institutions that have come to be synonymous with high standards throughout the world, and that have placed a price tag reflective of this, fail to meet these expectations and uphold the excellence that they expect and have mandated from their students. Particularly when so much is invested in the process of both gaining admission and attending those schools - and I don’t just mean in terms of finances.
 
Monette said:
Wow, I’m glad you had the presence of mind (even when evidently in a compromised emotional state) to pinpoint the problem, and the courage to take the steps to rectify it. I’m glad things turned out well for you and quite frankly from the sounds of it, it seemed like this experience really allowed you to grow and mature as a person as evidenced by the bolded statement… I really do envy your sense of peace and contentment – I think being haunted by the lack of these is what I fear the most in the event of things not panning out as planned.

I was happy with the education I got & never thought twice about taking that year off once I was in the middle of it, or afterwards. In fact, I hadn't even REMEMBERED that I'd enrolled at that first school until applying to medical school, when my advisor asked me what I did during the year off, and I was trying to remember, and then realized I'd completely forgotten about the school I'd gone to for so short a time!

That's kind of why I feel reasonably sure that once you start somewhere, whether it is this year, or next year, you'll just be so involved in what you're doing that you won't really worry about too many "what if's". All my doctor friends have told me that you don't learn very much (that's useful) in medical school - it is all in residency training. And therefore, they say, it doesn't matter that much where you go.

Make a deal with yourself now, and stick to it a year from now. Write it down if you have to. Tell your friends to remind you if you forget! Agree that you'll take this year to reapply, and if it doesn't work out, you'll promise yourself to just move on. It may work out, you know?! If it doesn't, you tried, but then it will be time to get started at this school you already have an acceptance to. And you remind yourself that you promised you would let it go, if that's what happens.
 
Monette said:
To all the Canadian Sherlock Holmes detectives-turned-pre-meds, could you please refrain from announcing the school that you think accepted me? Although I got a few very encouraging and informative PMs, I got one yesterday from someone who apparently found this so intriguing that they decided it warranted becoming a member of SDN just so they can PM me to ask me what the school was! They hadn't even made a single post at that point. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were just really really curious and not particularly in tune with e-etiquette but that really came across as an anonymous cyber freak being uber creeptacular! Why is SDN a public forum again?

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you by posting that information earlier. I didn't think my post revealed much (or anything, really) but at this point I can certainly understand your desire to not want people to know the school in question. Anyway, I think this whole discussion might be moot because I'm pretty sure you can only get a deferral under exceptional circumstances. I don't think re-applying to get into a "better" school would qualify.
 
docmode said:
Just finished reading your posts. It is so clear that you would be shortchanging yourself not to give the US schools a try. You have nothing to lose. You are quite articulate and I can't imagine you will end with as low of a V score. Your GPA is so high that you will always regret it if you don't, you simply have worked too hard to stop now. So many med students think taking a year off is the only way to go anyway. If the money is not your biggest concern stop torturing yourself and hit the KAPLAN Verbal books. We think you can do it. With that GPA I can't imagine you'll let this test get you. Just do it! Good luck.

Gosh… Really, a heart-felt thank you, you’re far too kind… You know I’ve always thought that I must come across as someone who’s verbose and rambly because I don’t take the time to edit … But (not so ironically) I digress… The single positive that I have derived from the irony that lies in my verbal score’s failure to reflect my being “articulate” is that once I get to the interview stage, at least then I can prove to them that I’m not verbally challenged. And I’ve got at least one interviewer’s verbal confirmation of this! I think I like to see how many times I can use the same word over and over again without it necessarily becoming verbally redundant. 😛
 
Orthodoc40 said:
I was happy with the education I got & never thought twice about taking that year off once I was in the middle of it, or afterwards. In fact, I hadn't even REMEMBERED that I'd enrolled at that first school until applying to medical school, when my advisor asked me what I did during the year off, and I was trying to remember, and then realized I'd completely forgotten about the school I'd gone to for so short a time!

That's kind of why I feel reasonably sure that once you start somewhere, whether it is this year, or next year, you'll just be so involved in what you're doing that you won't really worry about too many "what if's". All my doctor friends have told me that you don't learn very much (that's useful) in medical school - it is all in residency training. And therefore, they say, it doesn't matter that much where you go.

Make a deal with yourself now, and stick to it a year from now. Write it down if you have to. Tell your friends to remind you if you forget! Agree that you'll take this year to reapply, and if it doesn't work out, you'll promise yourself to just move on. It may work out, you know?! If it doesn't, you tried, but then it will be time to get started at this school you already have an acceptance to. And you remind yourself that you promised you would let it go, if that's what happens.

Pearls of wisdom. Seriously. I'm gonna make sure to save a copy and keep it somewhere safe. Thanks again for your valuable insight. 🙂

Monette
 
jmnykrkts said:
Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you by posting that information earlier. I didn't think my post revealed much (or anything, really) but at this point I can certainly understand your desire to not want people to know the school in question. Anyway, I think this whole discussion might be moot because I'm pretty sure you can only get a deferral under exceptional circumstances. I don't think re-applying to get into a "better" school would qualify.

HAHA, no no, no worries. You didn't really reveal anything. But you did say you thought you knew where I had gotten in and someone had PM'd me an in-depth analysis of where they believed I had gotten in (and it was rather impressive, though if that person is reading this, don't take this as confirmation of your conclusion's validity 😛 ) so I was just concerned that if I didn't tell people to refrain from announcing it, someone might blurt it out inadvertently and that would not be cool. And you know, after I got that PM, I realized that with only 17 schools in Canada, I don't know what I was thinking posting all this... Oh and with regards to the deferral issue, yes you need exceptional circumstances, and re-application in order to gain admission to a "better" school certainly does not qualify as such. I was actually going to go with finishing up my research project, which really had been the plan from the very start.

Monette
 
Monette said:
Pearls of wisdom. Seriously. I'm gonna make sure to save a copy and keep it somewhere safe. Thanks again for your valuable insight. 🙂

Monette

Some of it comes with age. A lot of it comes from relentlessly beating myself up about stuff so many times, not letting things go so many times, having friends try to get me to let things go & move on so many times...that it's almost like life or death to figure out how to just STOP!! Ha ha.. umm.
So - be firm, draw the line with yourself - know your reasons. Be clear about what your reasons are for doing it - write those down too - if you forget them, it's easy to lose sanity! Please let us know what you decide & how it goes!! Good luck, either way! You'll clearly succeed, whatever path you take. :luck:
 
This is in resopnse to a comment that was made in the Canadian forum.

konverse said:
monette

i apologize in advance for the harshness of this post but.

No need to apologize. I posted on a public forum because that is generally a good way to get a varied and representative sample of people’s opinions. I asked for people’s feedback and ALL feedback is in fact appreciated. So thank you for providing yours. 👍 👍

konverse said:
you NEED to start thinking straight. it is painfully, painfully obvious that you have a serious issue reconciling your ego here.

Alright, I’ve already addressed this but I will again. You seem to imply that I am an egomaniac. Really that couldn’t be any farther from the truth. You want to attribute my present (and perhaps pitiable) situation to my being foolish, ill-advised, misguided, naïve, unrealistic, or any combination of the aforementioned, by all means, do so. But please refrain from calling me arrogant. I don’t know why it bothers me *this* much that a bunch of anonymous pre-meds that I will never meet (and who will never identify me in the rare event that I do meet with them) would think that I’m arrogant, but it does, and I take it pretty seriously. So please don’t. OK, now that that’s out of my system… 🙂

konverse said:
and this makes absolutely no sense. you're a premed. you want to be a doctor and NOW YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY.

please re-consider what this word means. opportunity. a real and tangible one. see the problem with university kids is that they believe that grades etc is really what matters. and to some extent it is, but i firmly believe it is what YOU DO and how you do it that can count for more.

True. I have an opportunity. And I have no intention of throwing it away. But with each opportunity comes a choice, the making of which I’m wrestling with right now. But man, people really don’t like this idea of deferring, eh?


konverse said:
so you think you're too good for this canadian school? ok, i can understand that, I'm too good to wear Levi's jeans.

BUT LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY.

this school is giving you A PAIR OF JEANS to wear. i want to commend you for having high personal and professional ambitions of wanting to reach and aim higher towards the better institutions etc (and in this analogy say Diesel, or Paper Denim).

Alright, I never said I was too good for this school. In fact, my thinking that I would not get in should convince you that I actually believed the contrary to be true. And yes, I realize that would make it seem ironic that I would want to defer. But I’ve already given my reasons – again, briefly: limited opportunities in areas of interest, poor fit, bad vibes on interview day. Also, I have significantly improved my application during this past year and feel that I should give it another shot since this school is not my dream school and I have other plans for the upcoming year which would further prepare me for the gruels of medical school. And really, the reason I’ll only go to a top 15 is because those are the only schools that I will consider giving up my Canadian acceptance for. That’s how HIGHLY I think of the school. Cool? 😎

And dude, I appreciate the analogy. But seriously, Levi’s jeans? The fashion police is going to have a field day once they catch you and I’m afraid I feel fashionably, heck even morally, obligated to report you. It is for your own good, I promise. Do not compare this school, or ANY school, no matter how craptacular, to Levi’s because the crappiness of Levi’s jeans is in a craptitude err latitude all their own. Yes, that is how crappy they are. *In a valley girl voice* They are like so ten years ago… *Flips hair, rolls eyes* 🙄 The fashionista in me is most seriously displeased and is shaking her head in supreme disappointment. Order a copy of In Style and have it shipped Federal Express. Nothing else will do. Except if you’re a guy? Then, (and I mean this in the best way possible) get a female and/or metrosexual shopping buddy. A-SAP. 😛 😉


konverse said:
life isn't linear. neither is success. IF YOU WANT TO GET TO THE TOP, PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN AND GET THERE.

Again, my head is down. But you speak the truth. Gems indeed.

konverse said:
but please don't be foolish by defering a year to give it another shot. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE WORLD WILL BRING tomorrow.

your priorities/wishes/hopes/desires could change in a BLINK OF AN EYE and you will be left crying on the street.

Could you please elaborate? What is it that could go so awfully wrong besides the fact that I may very well not get in elsewhere and end up going to the same school only a year later?

konverse said:
re-writing the MCAT and applying etc IS BEHIND YOU NOW. put this positive energy you have bubbling in you towards a running start in med school.

please be smart and start med school in canada come august. canadian medical education is GOOD. and affordable. you will meet the top 15% of all applicants in the country in that entering class. these are FACTS.

also you may want to keep in mind that MED SCHOOL DOES NOT DEFINE YOU.

WHAT DEFINES YOU IS THAT YOU WANT TO BE THE BEST MED STUDENT OUT THERE.

and you will work hard towards it. because that is what you want. you will make it.

this is called PASSION, monette. do you have it in you?

Again, words to live by. And passion you ask? Oh darling, it guides my every move. It defines my every decision. It resonates with my every action. It is echoed in my every word. I speak it. I act it. I live it. Always. With passion. 😛

Passionately,
Monette

P.S. I still can’t believe that not a single deferrer exists on these boards. I am patiently awaiting your response. Oh and if any SDN adcomm members come across this, *cough* LizzyM/adcomm *cough* your insight would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
 
Law2Doc said:
It's actually not surprising. Only one or two schools in the US allow you to keep your acceptance while applying to other schools.

Interesting. But I could swear I've seen a lot of deferral threads here on pre-allo.
 
Law2Doc said:
You can defer (although not as a matter or right and necessarilly without a good reason). But only a few schools allow you to defer to reapply.

Ah I see. That's an important distinction. Thanks Law2Doc. Hope we're still cool 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Law2Doc said:
It's actually not surprising. Only one or two schools in the US allow you to keep your acceptance while applying to other schools.

I think there was someone last cycle who was accepted to U Iowa but was allowed to apply to other schools, which he/she did this cycle. I can't remember his/her screen name, though. 😳

Edit: found her MDapps profile: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4219

But it's true--not many US schools will allow you to defer and still apply to other schools, so there shouldn't be too many people that fit into this category!
 
the brown note said:
I think there was someone last cycle who was accepted to U Iowa but was allowed to apply to other schools, which he/she did this cycle. I can't remember his/her screen name, though. 😳

Edit: found her MDapps profile: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4219

But it's true--not many US schools will allow you to defer and still apply to other schools, so there shouldn't be too many people that fit into this category!

Yeah Iowa was one. I think the other one mentioned was one of the Ohio or DC schools. Other than that you are generally SOL.
 
the brown note said:
I think there was someone last cycle who was accepted to U Iowa but was allowed to apply to other schools, which he/she did this cycle. I can't remember his/her screen name, though. 😳

Edit: found her MDapps profile: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4219

But it's true--not many US schools will allow you to defer and still apply to other schools, so there shouldn't be too many people that fit into this category!

Hmmm, do you have a link to the MDapps profile of her second application cycle - if she made one that is?

Thanks a lot for providing that!