New Applicants - PLEASE READ!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leeuwenhoek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, this year new applicants will check this out before reposting redundant questions. If anyone experienced with the application process has anymore insightful information for new applicants, they should post it here and hopefully it won't be overlooked and the same questions asked (over and over again).

For example:

Verified vs Submitted:
The date you submitted your application online (i.e. the date your application is available to other schools online) is NOT the date your GPA is verified. The date your GPA is verified is the final step before your application begins processing for mailouts. This also means if you delay sending your transcripts from your school(s), it doesn't matter when you submitted your application.

As other posts have mentioned, if you do not know the date you GPA was verified, call them and ask. It is not located anywhere on the AADSAS application.

The transcript received date is just that, the date they received your transcripts but it is NOT the date your GPA was verified.

Supplemental materials:

There is a tab when you are on the AADSAS website under Instructions, Dental School Supplemental Information, where it will tell you the supplemental information to send, where to send it, and when to send it. If the information for the school to which you are applying says to wait until an admissions officer contacts you, then wait! If it says to send stuff at the same time as your e-submission to AADSAS then you should do so.

LORs:
Missing LORs do NOT hold up mailing of your application from AADSAS to different schools. AADSAS will mail the missing LORs when they receive them. Only the schools themselves won't consider your application complete until they receive all of them.

AADSAS 2008 has implemented a new Letter of Evaluation (LOE) process that provides the option for each individual to submit a Letter of Evaluation as either an online electronic document or as a paper letter that is mailed to AADSAS. Applicants may submit a maximum of four individual Letters of Evaluation or one Committee Letter/Report plus the option of one additional individual Letter of Evaluation.

DAT:
If you list on your AADSAS application that you are writing a future DAT, the schools won't review your application or consider your application complete until they receive your latest scores. This means your application from AADSAS will still occur, the hold up will be at the schools.

Lateness for applying:
There really is no guidelines for when it is too late to apply. Every year is different. It is also dependent of many factors. For example, if you have good DAT and good GPA including dental experience/shadowing hours you could apply in August (or later) and still get in. Just keep in mind Dec. 1st is the day dental schools notify for first round admissions. If you are late, this only means you will be considered for rolling admissions.

From AADSAS:
Do not wait to the last minute to submit your AADSAS application! You are strongly encouraged to submit your AADSAS application at least four weeks prior to the earliest application among your designated schools.

Many dental schools begin interviewing candidates in August and September. December 1 is the date that dental schools begin extending offers of admission. Applications received early have a much better chance of being seriously considered.

Dental school Application deadlines:
There is a tab when you are on the AADSAS website under Instructions, Dental School Supplemental Information. Under the specific school is the dealine for applying to the school.

From AADSAS:
The AADSAS deadline date indicates the date by which your application must be received by AADSAS. Dental schools will consider applicants whose AADSAS application, fee payment and official transcripts are received at AADSAS by the stated deadline. Your AADSAS application must be completed by 11:59 pm eastern time.

After you e-submit your application and your official transcripts are received, allow 4-8 weeks for AADSAS to process your application. Deadline dates are not extended if they fall on a weekend or holiday

Adding Additional Schools after e-Submission:

From AADSAS:
To apply to additional schools after you have submitted your AADSAS application, log on to your application, go to "Dental School Designations" and select additional schools. The processing fee for additional designations is $75 for the first school and $70 for each additional school to which you are applying. You cannot apply to a school after its deadline date has expired.

Do not create a new AADSAS application to apply to additional dental schools!

Dental school rankings/stats:
There is no official dental school rankings for best dental schools. For admission statistics, go to: www.predents.com

The AADSAS link for this year is:
https://portal.aadsasweb.org/
ADEA (AADSAS) Customer Service is available at 800-353-2237, 202-289-7201 or by email at: [email protected]
Customer Service Representatives are available to speak with you from 9 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time).

Lastly, there is a search feature on SDN which allows you to search for answers to a question which may have been posted previously similar (the same) as yours.

Good luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
trust me this guys (the op) knows his stuff ....thx leuk. i forgot to send you a thank you for your help.

i have one quick question, i am sending my LOR at the same time when i submit my apps. if the designated school requires you to send your LOR during the supplementary apps, do i have to send my LOR again?

I have a question. I am retaking the DAT in sept. So should i take it off the aadsas application that i am retaking it so that my application is complete?. Then i can just update it once my scores come in. What do you think?

gsJ said:
trust me this guys (the op) knows his stuff ....thx leuk. i forgot to send you a thank you for your help.

No thanks are necessary, just glad I could help. Thank you for the compliment. Feel free to PM me with any further questions/concerns.

wigglytooth said:
Holy cow, make that a sticky... it was so clear! Thanks leeuwonhoek!

Hi, no thanks required. I just hope new applicants actually read this before reposting threads.

Leeuwenhoek said:
Hi, no thanks required. I just hope new applicants actually read this before reposting threads.

I agree. But if tradition holds up, chances are they won't once this thread gets past page two.

Sprgrover said:
I agree. But if tradition holds up, chances are they won't once this thread gets past page two.

Is there any way of making this a sticky (at least for this year) as others have suggested?

I have answered two threads today, essentially the same but worded differently with regard to supplemental applications/monies. I just had them refer to this thread as it answered their questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Stickied. :D

(But be forewarned that new guests seem to glance right over the stickies)

Thanks. ;)

isnt anyone here applying for the UK universities??

moody_muddy87 said:
isnt anyone here applying for the UK universities??

Primarily people here inquire about dentistry and and are applying to dental schools in the US. Once in awhile there are questions about Canadian schools.

I guess I have my own bit of advice although I am applying right now.

Do some research before you apply to a school, don't just pull them out of a hat. I have seen countless threads with questions about pre-reqs, competition, tuition, ect. These threads are often started by people who have already applied, submitted, and wasted money.

My advisor gave me a great tip. Use excel or something similar and make a spreadsheet with every school on it. Go to their websites and read their "prospective students" section. That usually has a wealth of info regarding pre-reqs, minimum DAT, out of state chances, and so forth.

Make sections on your spreadsheet regarding pre-reqs, app fees, LORs types, ave GPA/DAT, ect. Print it out when you finish, and carefully look over every school. All of this information at hand is invaluable and will save you time and money. Yes you could just look at one school at a time on the web..but it really helps to see them all together for instant comparisons.

Throw a few reach schools in there if you want, but don't apply to a school notorious for favoring instate applicants if you don't have an amazing application. Don't apply somewhere if you won't have the minimum pre-reqs done. Don't apply to research oriented schools if you have zero research experience. Every school is unique, it is important to know if you even have a shot before throwing away money you can't get back.

Good luck to everyone.

Although it's not up-to-date, the following link should give you a pretty good idea on where you should apply. It's listed under links of interest. Most new applicants probably don't see it.
http://dentalstats.tripod.com/index.htm

Is it possible to apply to UF before you take the DAT?

thanks a lot.. being a new member this has helped out a TON!!! im still waiting for my gpa to be reviewed.. its been almost 4 weeks now and i can't wait

Sorry that i am totally of topic but for some reason i cant post a new thread. I studied my ass off this summer, actually from August to September 14. I did all the Kaplan things and a did 2 tests on topscore. what more could i have done? AA:18 Bio:17 GChem: 18 Ochem:19 RC:18 QT;19 Pat:19

Also i am only sending my application out to ADEA in a couple of days, do you think its too late????

I'm a little confused on the verified/submitted section for GPAs and transcripts. I sent my transcripts in to get verified, but won't I see the transcript and GPA on the site when they are finished? The rest of my application is complete.

thanks leeu and chrono for your great tips!!!

Now we just need more people to come here before they start posting:D

hi,
I am new member to SDN , :) hello everybody. Iam preparing for part 1 looking for anybody who can do combined study with me.I am in virginia and also looking to buy dental decks 2006-07 .can any body pls help me out .

This semester i'm taking second semester physics and lab+A&P and lab+ a higher bio class and some PEs...as my physics class is taking a lot of time, I won't be able to study for my DAT which I wanted to take in May and be an early applicant. So, I thought I drop physics and use the time to study for DAT and take Physics in the summer........

What do you think?

I only have a few days to drop W/o WP......so plz let me know what you think:)

Thanks,
lilietta

Leeuwenhoek, Thanks for the info..I'm a newbie to the forum as of a couple days..I have already found many threads that are extremely helpful. Most of these people have great info. Hope I can be as helpful too..Good to know about the search available...wouldn't want to be one of those that repeats the same question that has been answered 20 times!!

Does this great information apply to the TMDSAS?
all of the transcripts verification etc.. info?

To prepare for the application to dental school, besides Personal Statement, how many LOR's and what type of LOR's (science, etc.) should be included? What other documents should be included?

Thanks.

To prepare for the application to dental school, besides Personal Statement, how many LOR's and what type of LOR's (science, etc.) should be included? What other documents should be included?

Thanks.

I would recommend a minimum of 3, although you should check with the specific schools to which you apply. Some schools will also require a LOR from the dentist you shadowed. But again, refer to the specific school for which LORs are required/acceptable. Good luck this coming cycle.

Once the cycle begins, I will edit the original post as necessary to correspond with the new cycle. However, for the past 3 years, not much has changed with regard to AADSAS and their application procedures (unfortunately, some may say). Good luck everyone on this upcoming application cycle.:)

Hey Lee, what types of 3 LOR's involved? Do I need one from Chemistry, Biology, and Social Science professors? Thanks.

anyone notice that AADSAS application isn't available today at 3pm like they said it would be? Or if it is, how to you log onto it? I can still get into my old application from last year, which I never submitted. Strange.

I know most pre-dents completely ignore this thread, but I can't justify starting a new one when this fits in perfectly right here.

This is a quick link to every dental school's website. You will find that most of the threads asking questions about different schools can be answered with about 5 mouse clicks and a little common sense. Good luck to all future applicants.

http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/56_websites.htm

The only change for AADSAS which I've noticed for this cycle is with regard to the Letters of Evaluation/Reference (I've updated the original post) but here it is for those familiar with it:

AADSAS 2008 has implemented a new Letter of Evaluation (LOE) process that provides the option for each individual to submit a Letter of Evaluation as either an online electronic document or as a paper letter that is mailed to AADSAS. Applicants may submit a maximum of four individual Letters of Evaluation or one Committee Letter/Report plus the option of one additional individual Letter of Evaluation.

I thank to whom helps me to answer this!
I want to buy the official guides to admission for class of 2008 from ADEA but I am wondering if it is helpful to have the booklet in hands.. Is anyone here that bought it. What do you guys think about it?
And I also want to say hello to all of you as a new member!;)

what is the difference between LOE, and LOR? Do dent schools accepts either of the two?

i took the dat july 2nd and scored average, and i'm thinking of retaking the dat in september/october, then should i wait to complete my AADSAS application and call the schools i've attended to have my transcripts sent.

Thanks a lot Leeuwenhoek
Hopefully, this year new applicants will check this out before reposting redundant questions. If anyone experienced with the application process has anymore insightful information for new applicants, they should post it here and hopefully it won't be overlooked and the same questions asked (over and over again).

For example:

Verified vs Submitted:
The date you submitted your application online (i.e. the date your application is available to other schools online) is NOT the date your GPA is verified. The date your GPA is verified is the final step before your application begins processing for mailouts. This also means if you delay sending your transcripts from your school(s), it doesn't matter when you submitted your application.

As other posts have mentioned, if you do not know the date you GPA was verified, call them and ask. It is not located anywhere on the AADSAS application.

The transcript received date is just that, the date they received your transcripts but it is NOT the date your GPA was verified.

Supplemental materials:

There is a tab when you are on the AADSAS website under Instructions, Dental School Supplemental Information, where it will tell you the supplemental information to send, where to send it, and when to send it. If the information for the school to which you are applying says to wait until an admissions officer contacts you, then wait! If it says to send stuff at the same time as your e-submission to AADSAS then you should do so.

LORs:
Missing LORs do NOT hold up mailing of your application from AADSAS to different schools. AADSAS will mail the missing LORs when they receive them. Only the schools themselves won't consider your application complete until they receive all of them.

DAT:
If you list on your AADSAS application that you are writing a future DAT, the schools won't review your application or consider your application complete until they receive your latest scores. This means your application from AADSAS will still occur, the hold up will be at the schools.

Lateness for applying:
There really is no guidelines for when it is too late to apply. Every year is different. It is also dependent of many factors. For example, if you have good DAT and good GPA including dental experience/shadowing hours you could apply in August (or later) and still get in. Just keep in mind Dec. 1st is the day dental schools notify for first round admissions. If you are late, this only mens you will be considered for rolling admissions.

From AADSAS:
Do not wait to the last minute to submit your AADSAS application! You are strongly encouraged to submit your AADSAS application at least four weeks prior to the earliest application among your designated schools.

Many dental schools begin interviewing candidates in August and September. December 1 is the date that dental schools begin extending offers of admission. Applications received early have a much better chance of being seriously considered.

Dental school Application deadlines:
There is a tab when you are on the AADSAS website under Instructions, Dental School Supplemental Information. Under the specific school is the dealine for applying to the school.

From AADSAS:
The AADSAS deadline date indicates the date by which your application must be received by AADSAS. Dental schools will consider applicants whose AADSAS application, fee payment and official transcripts are received at AADSAS by the stated deadline. Your AADSAS application must be completed by 11:59 pm eastern time.

After you e-submit your application and your official transcripts are received, allow 4-8 weeks for AADSAS to process your application. Deadline dates are not extended if they fall on a weekend or holiday

Adding Additional Schools after e-Submission:

From AADSAS:
To apply to additional schools after you have submitted your AADSAS application, log on to your application, go to "Dental School Designations" and select additional schools. The processing fee for additional designations is $75 for the first school and $70 for each additional school to which you are applying. You cannot apply to a school after its deadline date has expired.

Do not create a new AADSAS application to apply to additional dental schools!

Dental school rankings/stats:
There is no official dental school rankings for best dental schools. For admission statistics, go to: www.predents.com

The AADSAS link for this year is:
https://aadsas.adea.org/
ADEA (AADSAS) Customer Service is available at 800-353-2237, 202-289-7201 or by email at: [email protected]
Customer Service Representatives are available to speak with you from 9 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time).

Lastly, there is a search feature on SDN which allows you to search for answers to a question which may have been posted previously similar (the same) as yours.

I don't want to continue in case I'm wasting my time and this goes unread. :rolleyes:

Sorry for ranting, I'd like to help people new to the application process, it's just that it gets annoying to reply to the same question every couple of days.

Good luck this cycle!

I just did it!:D
Figured it out myself before this was stickied.

Awesome! That was so helpful! I won't be annoying with a ton of posts now;)

any one know how I can get a hold of the latest evaluation form before mid May.:confused:

any one know how I can get a hold of the latest evaluation form before mid May.:confused:

There is not evaluation form. There is a matching form that you create when the cycle opens. You send that with the type letter of evaluation signed by the recommender.