New Applicants - PLEASE READ!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no idea what I'm doing, so I thought I should ask some questions.

I just took my DAT yesterday (8-24-10). I know it's late but I took summer classes which took care of the first ~10 weeks of my summer and then my sister got married about 2 weeks after that.

1) Anyways, this is the second time I took the DAT and I was wondering how do I make the schools that I'm applying to aware that I don't want them to use my "current" scores. Do I e-mail them? Do I send them a letter when I send in my supplementary apps?

2) To my understanding if I submit my AADSAS application today it won't get sent out for a few more weeks (GPA calculation, etc.). Do I send the supplemental stuff out right away still even though the main application isn't there?

Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just have a couple of questions.

1. I'm taking the DAT is a few months. How long does it take for them to get you back your results?? I know it's computer based...Is it an automatically graded??? A few hours, days, weeks, months??? How does it work? I've only taken the PCAT and it takes 6 weeks for them to grade it (it is a written test, not computer).

2. Does the chemistry and organic chemistry portion based on calculations/reaction?? How is that part of the test like?

3. Why do people worry about pre-Dec 1 interviews? Is that the only time schools give out interviews??

Just have a couple of questions.

1. I'm taking the DAT is a few months. How long does it take for them to get you back your results?? I know it's computer based...Is it an automatically graded??? A few hours, days, weeks, months??? How does it work? I've only taken the PCAT and it takes 6 weeks for them to grade it (it is a written test, not computer).

2. Does the chemistry and organic chemistry portion based on calculations/reaction?? How is that part of the test like?

3. Why do people worry about pre-Dec 1 interviews? Is that the only time schools give out interviews??

1. You get scores right away. But they do not show up to schools for another 2-3 weeks.

2. Easy calculations. No calculator. Look at the dat discussion area.

3. Say a school has 50 seats and gives out 200 interviews. If 150 competitive people apply, then 150 interview spots are all taken. December 1st, is the first day that schools can accept you. So if they send out 40 acceptances on December 1st and all of the people accept, then there are only 10 spots left. Less spots = harder for you to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. You get scores right away. But they do not show up to schools for another 2-3 weeks.

2. Easy calculations. No calculator. Look at the dat discussion area.

3. Say a school has 50 seats and gives out 200 interviews. If 150 competitive people apply, then 150 interview spots are all taken. December 1st, is the first day that schools can accept you. So if they send out 40 acceptances on December 1st and all of the people accept, then there are only 10 spots left. Less spots = harder for you to get in.

Oh okay...I was looking through these boards and it seems like everybody is freaking out about that date. That clears things up a lot :). Thanx.

Couple of questions.

First of all... The "new" 2008 LOE part made me wonder - how exactly are LORs submitted. My husband just got accepted to pharmacy school, and their application process required the people writing the recommendations to submit them electronically themselves. Is it a similar process for dental school? Or does the applicant submit the LOR themselves via snail mail/email/etc?

Secondly... I am not applying until next cycle. I'm planning a trip to Europe that might mean that I am not in the states on June 1st (the first day you can submit an app, right?). Does that AADSAS "refresh" the site for the new cycle before June 1st, so I can at least look at what's going on and save my app to have my husband click the submit button on June 1st? Or does the site get totally wiped on June 1st and everyone has to start over?

Hope that was clear!
Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. I didn't want to start another thread on this, but I wish to get a quick reply..

I know that the application opens June 1st, but is it possible for me to go to my school and request transcript now (May 11th)?

Or do I have to wait on the transcript until I submit my online application??

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

This response is late but remember that there's no rush. Wait and ensure you have a file open with AADSAS before sending your transcript -- it's not worth having to send a second copy.

This notion applies to your entire application -- don't rush things to be the first to submit. Applications received during the summer months will all be considered in the same manner, regardless of the date they're received. Admission officers aren't waiting anxiously for every arriving application; rather, they review the applications in cycles, the first of which isn't until late August or early September for most schools. There are always those random schools to which this principle doesn't apply, but it's nearly universal.

So be sure to refine your application many times before submitting -- there's no rush (unless you're starting to write things up in September!).

If anyone is about to start the new application process and is looking for a little extra asterisk on their application, there is an opportunity at Midwestern Arizona you might want to look into. The ASDA Chapter at the school hosts a yearly Dental Simulation Course that allows pre-dents to get some hands-on experience about life as a dental student. I am a student there now, and I took the course the summer that I was applying. Basically, you get to tour the campus, speak with faculty/staff/students, and actually do some of the things that we do on a daily basis as dental students. You get to use hand pieces, do some waxing, work with composite, impressions, etc. There are a lot of fellow dental classmates that took the class when they were applying and we all think it was a great opportunity. Good luck in your application process, it alone is quite a task but well worth it once you finally get into Dental school!! (then the REAL work begins) I've got a link below for anyone who is interested:

http://www.midwestern.edu/asda_simulation_course.html

I've always wonder, does AADSAS send out the LOR you submitted to all the school you apply for? and do they so same for the PS ?

I've always wonder, does AADSAS send out the LOR you submitted to all the school you apply for? and do they so same for the PS ?

Yup. It all goes uniformly to all of the schools you apply to.

Thanks Leeuwenhoek and Tom! It was great help!!