what is URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_90210

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering what the term URM is refering to. Is it basically anyone who is not white? could someone explain to me what makes a person URM and not an URM? and why there are scholarships for URM?

Members don't see this ad.

dr_90210 said:
hi, i was wondering what the term URM is refering to. Is it basically anyone who is not white? could someone explain to me what makes a person URM and not an URM? and why there are scholarships for URM?

youre flirtin with fire dog

I've been wondering the same thing for a few weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_90210 said:

You should consult DR. EUGENIC about this issue... :sleep:

It stands for under represented minority. Example: If purple people are 20% of the population and only 5% of doctors are purple people, they are under represented. They give scholarships to entice them to go to their schools so they can get their numbers of "purple" people up. The AAMC defines under represented groups as blacks, mexican american, native American maybe? These are just off the top of my head... I'm not sure exactly.

ChymeChancellor said:
You should consult DR. EUGENIC about this issue... :sleep:

It stands for under represented minority. Example: If purple people are 20% of the population and only 5% of doctors are purple people, they are under represented. They give scholarships to entice them to go to their schools so they can get their numbers of "purple" people up. The AAMC defines under represented groups as blacks, mexican american, native American maybe? These are just off the top of my head... I'm not sure exactly.

oh, ok. so asians and jews are "URM" in the NBA and NFL? do they get affirmative action and scholarships to those institutions?

ChymeChancellor said:
The AAMC defines under represented groups as blacks, mexican american, native American maybe? These are just off the top of my head... I'm not sure exactly.

I think AAMC revised their URM definition recently (2004?) so your statement is no longer the precise case.

dr_90210 said:
oh, ok. so asians and jews are "URM" in the NBA and NFL? do they get affirmative action and scholarships to those institutions?

No they don't.... and judging from your attitude about this, you're going to say something that's going to get this thread locked pretty soon. There's nothing you can do about it if your white. Learn to live with it, it's not that bad! Just control what you can... GPA, MCAT, EC's and you'll be fine. In the whole scheme of things, the effect of affirmative action is quite small.

dr_90210 said:

yes

Teerawit said:
I think AAMC revised their URM definition recently (2004?).

Yeah... I was too lazy to look it up..

dr_90210 said:

I was under the impression that under represented minorities were those ethnic and racial groups whose representation in a certain field is less than their proportion of the population. For example, Asians comprised nearly 20% of the 2005 matriculants but are only 3.6% of the total US population in 2000 and so would not be considered an URM. African-Americans made-up less than 7% of the 2005 matriculants but are 12.3% of the population in 2000 and so are considered an URM.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone in the know will correct me.

Matriculant Data: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2003to2005detmat.htm
Census Data: http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

pyromatic said:
For example, Asians comprised nearly 20% of the 2005 matriculants but are only 3.6% of the total US population in 2000 and so would not be considered an URM. African-Americans made-up less than 7% of the 2005 matriculants but are 12.3% of the population in 2000 and so are considered an URM.
what about Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Filipino, etc.?

Teerawit said:
what about Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Filipino, etc.?

I'm curious about this point myself since there are alot of small ethnic group within the "asian" category that are definite minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_90210 said:

they do way before those bigots who use a beverly hills zip code as their user ids. what a *****.

Over-represented minorities are Indian-Americans, Chinese-Americans. Of these three I think Indian-Americans are the most overly represented, because they make up about .5 percent of the populations while Chinese-Americans make up about 2.3 percent of the population, and there are a larger or roughtly equal percentage of Indian-Americans in medical schools (AMCAS).
As far as Thai, Laotian, and Filipino, I am not sure. I know that in UCs they are traditionally underrepresented

I'm Asian. I plan to maintain a solid GPA, good EC's, good MCAT, and what not...the typical pre med stuff.

I know I am not a URM. People who benifit from AA because they are URM may think the "the social system" is unfair. Maybe some don't. But I keep this positive attitude: They think they system is unfair, hey, and so do I-being asian.

Like another poster said, I'm just going to control what I can and deal with what I see is unfair.

I don't think data are collected on groups smaller than the traditional white/black/Asian/hispanic groupings. If you fall into a category smaller than one of those and think there may be scholarships available to you because of it, it may be worth it to do some research.

what if i were a bigot and according to recent demographics, bigots are underrepresented in med schools? am i URM?

dr_90210 said:
what if i were a bigot and according to recent demographics, bigots are underrepresented in med schools? am i URM?
el_panda_flamethrower_wallpaper.jpg

BURRRRNNNNNN

humtorch.jpg

Lol, for real though. If you aren't benefiting from AA, then you wont' think its fair. If you still get odd looks from people when you walk into a department store, or an expensive perfume shop, then you'll think its fair. What matters in the end is becoming a physician. If we all strive towards that goal, it will happen for all of us.

I agree with the above post.

doctajay said:
humtorch.jpg

Lol, for real though. If you aren't benefiting from AA, then you wont' think its fair. If you still get odd looks from people when you walk into a department store, or an expensive perfume shop, then you'll think its fair. What matters in the end is becoming a physician. If we all strive towards that goal, it will happen for all of us.

ya it sucks how people like will smith and kobe bryant get odd looks when they walk into high end stores... i feel bad for their underprivileged kids, but good thing they will be considered handicapped to make up for it

dr_90210 said:

This is the thing dude. There are underserved communities such as inner cities, mainly composed of black people who do not have appropriate medical facilities to meet their needs. So for the sake of the healthcare of all populations, URMs are admitted into medical school because it is more likely they will serve their own people.

It isn't likely a rich white boy will be motivated to serve black people. It is just as unlikely that a URM will be extremely motivated to serve the wealthy populations. So if the healthcare system is to make an attempt at providing care for all people, then it would be appropriate for all types of communities to be represented as care providers.

DoctorPardi said:
This is the thing dude. There are underserved communities such as inner cities, mainly composed of black people who do not have appropriate medical facilities to meet their needs. So for the sake of the healthcare of all populations, URMs are admitted into medical school because it is more likely they will serve their own people.

It isn't likely a rich white boy will be motivated to serve black people. It is just as unlikely that a URM will be extremely motivated to serve the wealthy populations. So if the healthcare system is to make an attempt at providing care for all people, then it would be appropriate for all types of communities to be represented as care providers.
Its great that you are trying to push the conversation into a positive direction DoctorPardi, but it is obvious that dr_90210 is trying to get people riled up for no reason. Its sad to say, but I think Dr. Rey himself has more personality than this guy does.

doctajay said:
Its great that you are trying to push the conversation into a positive direction DoctorPardi, but it is obvious that dr_90210 is trying to get people riled up for no reason. Its sad to say, but I think Dr. Rey himself has more personality than this guy does.

Haha, well I thought I would at least make a reasonable post. From now on I will be replying with pictures of buildings of fire or massive forest fires lol.

Took three posts for someone to answer a simple question. Onward toward 9 pages of venting flame wars

Status
Not open for further replies.