Is This Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently passed the chspe in california it is a certificate that is equivalent to a diploma and it is given to teens under 18 who want to finish highschool early.My question is how can I go about setting a path to become a dentist? Since I took this test I don't think I can go straight to a 4 year university so what are other options? do i have to go to junior college for 2 years then transer to a university? or can i take two years of pre requisites courses at a junior college and then apply to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

maverick88 said:
I have recently passed the chspe in california it is a certificate that is equivalent to a diploma and it is given to teens under 18 who want to finish highschool early.My question is how can I go about setting a path to become a dentist? Since I took this test I don't think I can go straight to a 4 year university so what are other options? do i have to go to junior college for 2 years then transer to a university? or can i take two years of pre requisites courses at a junior college and then apply to dental school?

no such test.

TROLL ALERT.

WVUdental said:
no such test.

TROLL ALERT.

TOOL ALERT : Yes there is such a test

http://www.chspe.net/

As to the O.P. You can go either the junior college or four year route. I have seen many people get in through the juco or community college route. The most important thing you can do is earn good grades, make sure being a dentist is what you want to do, and have fun while in college. Perhaps even more important than what is mentioned previously, dont take bad advice from doorknobs like WVUdental. If you do all this, things should fall into place. Good luck,

Members don't see this ad :)
maverick88 said:

If by taking this test and passing it you cannot then go to a 4-year program then let me be the first to say this is one worthless ass exam.

most states require a person to be a certain age before they can treat patients in a medical setting, this includes dental school.

no Doogie Housers anymore man.

This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! I attended a cc in los angeles and there was this 15 (yes, 15) year old in my chemistry class. Anyways, he told me he took the test and then left high school at 9th grade to come to the cc. He transferred after 1 1/2 years to USC, and actually was accepted to the UCLA MEDICAL SCHOOL at the tender age of 19. I think he matriculated in '03 or '02. This is a fact - just go ahead and check the UCLA Medical Student profiles on line. He is absolutely a brilliant kid, and it just amazed the hell outta EVERYONE that he was so young -- including his professors.

PS, I tried to get my younger sister to go that route and she got all freaked out. Now, at 20, and in cc she has told me it was a huge mistake. But thats just her opinion, of course.

I know some Dental Schools let you apply to the school right out of high school. It is a couple of years quicker than the standard 7-8 years to get your DDS or DMD. University of Pacific has this program:

dental.pacific.edu/admissions1/DDS/for_high_school_student.htm

I don't know if any others do. Anyhow, look into it. Good luck!

Thanks this was very informative. So it is possible to get into dental school after two years of cc? I know this will have to do a lot with getting good grades but the reason I asked was because some websites I have been to have said that dental school preferred you didn't take all your classes at a community college, others then said that it didn't really make a difference.

maverick88 said:
Thanks this was very informative. So it is possible to get into dental school after two years of cc? I know this will have to do a lot with getting good grades but the reason I asked was because some websites I have been to have said that dental school preferred you didn't take all your classes at a community college, others then said that it didn't really make a difference.

It depends on the school. Some schools have a minimum number of hours you must have taken prior to applying to dental school.

WVUdental said:
most states require a person to be a certain age before they can treat patients in a medical setting, this includes dental school.

What's the age limit? Some of my classmates are only 19 and we're all treating patients.

crazy_sherm said:
What's the age limit? Some of my classmates are only 19 and we're all treating patients.

Probably about 10% of what wvudental says is correct so this would probably fall within that other 90%.

maverick88 said:
I don't know of any dental school that would take students after just two years (especially of CC). There are some students that get in after three years. there are a few in my class the UOP program has special arrangments to do two years of undergrad with three years of dental school. There are other dental schools that make these types of arrangments but you have to start in the undergrad program that they want you to go to. You have to start out in that program. You can't just go to any college and get into these programs. But if you are talking about going to community college then transfering to a university and graduating then going to dental school, Of course you can do this. This is what I and many people did. I would actually suggest doing this for anybody. I feel that CC is better education and naturally it is less $$.

crazy_sherm said:

you want me to waste my time to do the work for you?

are they treating patients without supervision??????????/

didnt think so.

WVUdental said:
are they treating patients without supervision??????????/

didnt think so.

Nobody in dental school is treating patients without supervision.

maverick88 said:

http://sdm.uchc.edu/predoctoral/combineddegree/index.shtml#babs

UCONN has a program which combines a BS with a DDS. It would be more work than just applying after 2 years of CC but worth looking into since you know you WANT to be a dentist and you're young.