Yes, I Am Doing Medicine For The Money!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Money is the only reason I am going into medicine and it is my TOP PRIORITY. Everything else is secondary for me. I will be spending most of my life studying, and I don't mind. If it wasn't for the money, I think people wouldn't waste their time studying most of their life. People who say that they are ONLY going in it only to help other people are LYING because if you want to do that why don't you just become a priest or something else. That way you won't waste time in helping others. Right?

Members don't see this ad.

cmon.. someone say it.. i banking!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Money is the only reason I am going into medicine and it is my TOP PRIORITY. Everything else is secondary for me. I will be spending most of my life studying, and I don't mind. If it wasn't for the money, I think people wouldn't waste their time studying most of their life. People who say that they are ONLY going in it only to help other people are LYING because if you want to do that why don't you just become a priest or something else. That way you won't waste time in helping others. Right?

when you burn out after ONLY entering the field for $ post again...then we can compare the differences between this post and your future post.

good luck

The money is a nice incentive, but it does not mean that you will be happy. I am in it for the challenge and I enjoy learning biology, chemistry, etc. I think the respect that the profession commands would be a bigger incentive than the monetary compensation.

Priests or "something else" can not help other people in the ways that doctors can utilize science and modern technology to help people. I am going to be a doctor becuase I will be able to "fix" people on a physical level and not just an emotional/spiritual level which is more important because if one lacks a physical existence then the spiritual and emotional can not exist for that person since they would lack a physical existence. Yes, I am looking forward to the large sum of money I will make as a doctor but I think that will pale in comparison to the emotional rewards I will experience as a doctor. Going into something for the sole reason of the money is a horrible reason to go into it and if you don't care about the patients then where do you get your motivation to save lives/make sick people better (which, btw is a doctor's primary responsibility)? Whether or not your patients survive, you as a doctor will still get paid, so if you are only in it for the money you obviously have no regard/motivation for saving people and I would hope you realize that you are trying to get into med. school for all the wrong reasons.

think about it this way
Ibanking = $$$
but how many hours do they work? 100 +?
How many hours do regular ppl work and make 60-80k? = 40 hours.
40 x 2.5 = just as much as an I banker. its just they dont work that much and dont get paid that much for overtime but they dont need to.
so of course ibanking makes money, but you can easily lose your job also.
Physicians are pretty stable, their job is interesting and they make money.

You're probably a troll, but if you're for real you are fooling yourself and will be miserable in your life going into medicine for money. Ask anyone who is already there.

I can only interpret this post as a blatant plea for a cookie. So here, have one:

cookie.jpg

You're probably a troll, but if you're for real you are fooling yourself and will be miserable in your life going into medicine for money. Ask anyone who is already there.

Maybe some, but I know plenty of rich doctors that are comfortable with their lives. For one, my friend's father who works biweekly and still collects 6 digits and enjoy the city life with nice cars, and a big house.

Maybe some, but I know plenty of rich doctors that are comfortable with their lives. For one, my friend's father who works biweekly and still collects 6 digits and enjoy the city life with nice cars, and a big house.

That doesn't mean they are happy. Whatever - I've learned from these forums already that if someone's a fool enough to chase money in medicine and not money somewhere else - they sure aren't going to listen to anyone's warnings until they're stuck with it and feel like they can't get out anymore, so it is pointless to comment further.

Reactions: 1 user
You aren't too bright, are you?
Not saying I disagree with what you said, just the way you said it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only interpret this post as a blatant plea for a cookie. So here, have one:

cookie.jpg

lolol

congrats on sharing your opinion/trying to start a flame war.

i heart money, i heart medicine... its all good

The ROI for medical school and residency for most specialties is pretty poor when compared to other professional programs (MBA, JD), so if your in it for the money, your financial acumen is damaged.

**Repeatedly slams head into wall for responding to the troll**

think about it this way
Ibanking = $$$
40 x 2.5 = just as much as an I banker. its just they dont work that much and dont get paid that much for overtime but they dont need to.

The ceiling for I banking isn't going to be 2.5 times the "regular ppl"s salary, even if the salary is. People go into risky careers because with increased risk comes increased chance of rewards. Some folks have been known to get 2-3 times their salary as a year end bonus in I banking during good years. Regular ppl don't have earning potential substantially higher than their set salary. Similarly physicians also generally have income ceilings, and thanks to insurance company reimbursement policies, some specialties need to do more and more procedures each year to get to those ceilings.

But I agree with the prior poster who suggested the OP is a troll. His thread isn't even as creative as some of the money hungry threads that have come earlier this year. I hope he brings more effort to his future career or he won't be making much bling.

The ROI for medical school and residency for most specialties is pretty poor when compared to other professional programs (MBA, JD), so if your in it for the money, your financial acumen is damaged.

**Repeatedly slams head into wall for responding to the troll**
That's OK. That means he'll probably make a good doctor, since one of the stereotypes of doctors is that they are not good at managing money/making financial decisions.

EDIT: So does that mean that anybody that goes into medicine for the money will make a good doctor since they are, therfore, not good at making financial decisions? Head spinning....too much circular reasoning.

i banking!;)

I think that if one puts the amount of effort required for medicine into another (white collar) field, he/she would be earning more than he/she would be as a physcian.

Priests or "something else" can not help other people in the ways that doctors can utilize science and modern technology to help people. I am going to be a doctor becuase I will be able to "fix" people on a physical level and not just an emotional/spiritual level which is more important because if one lacks a physical existence then the spiritual and emotional can not exist for that person since they would lack a physical existence. Yes, I am looking forward to the large sum of money I will make as a doctor but I think that will pale in comparison to the emotional rewards I will experience as a doctor. Going into something for the sole reason of the money is a horrible reason to go into it and if you don't care about the patients then where do you get your motivation to save lives/make sick people better (which, btw is a doctor's primary responsibility)? Whether or not your patients survive, you as a doctor will still get paid, so if you are only in it for the money you obviously have no regard/motivation for saving people and I would hope you realize that you are trying to get into med. school for all the wrong reasons.

I second that :)

don't say that around the U.S. history PhD crowd

i love how all the other threads on this topic mention i-banking bout 500 times but since i posted my post no one said it muahahahahah

OP Banned in ......3....2....1.....

Personally, I am going into medicine because like someone said earlier, I wil be able to help other people in a way only docs can. It's a job where you will basically sacrifice yourself for others, and that's something that I find honorable and that I want to be a part of.

You won't really need all that money when you die. But having people remember the way you influenced and helped others, no amount of money is worth that. That's why I could never settle for a nice paying yet boring ass job.
The way I see it is that you live only once, and that you might as well do something worthwile with your life. Like, if you die, and no one except your close ones remember and grieve for you, then you haven't really lived.

Are you serious? If you are doing this for the money then you are crazy. Y not go into another field that makes as much money or more. In my opinion if I was doing this just for the money I wouldve quit a long time ago because of all of the blood sweat and tears of trying to get into medical school. You have to really enjoy helping others and the practice of medicine in order to stay focused and really stay dedicated

If you haven't already worked this into your AMCAS statement, consider bringing it up when your interviewers ask "why medicine". Interviewers will appreciate your honesty.:thumbup:

HA ha ha ha! Are you for real? You might end up being one of those crazy people that walk out in the middle of an examination in medical school to never return again, with a 40,000 debt for the first year you regret having attended to begin with...

Look, I think it's safe to say we all are going into this field to earn our bread and butter...but if money is the one and only thing you desire, then medicine is not for you ...Hippocrates says " love of medicine is love of humanity"...as they said for the millionth time on this board...go into Ibanking, and give your seat in medical school to someone more deserving, that is if you do end up getting accepted....

People who say that they are ONLY going in it only to help other people are LYING because if you want to do that why don't you just become a priest or something else.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you spent four years at a junior college, have just transferred to a University with a 2.5 GPA, and you feel qualified to speak about the intentions of all premeds?

Walk a few more miles in those moccasins, cowboy....

If you haven't already worked this into your AMCAS statement, consider bringing it up when your interviewers ask "why medicine". Interviewers will appreciate your honesty.:thumbup:

Especially at schools I'll be interviewing at. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Why don't you get in touch with some Colombian Cartel? ThEy also make a lot of money...:smuggrin:

think about it this way
Ibanking = $$$

Managing Directors at Ibanks make tens of millions per year. However, only 1 out of about 50,000 ibanks get to that point.

Who would want that much money anyways? :p

Start working at a hedge fund if you want to make money. The top hedge fund manager had a paycheck at the end of the year at over $1 billion (yes, billion). The avg is about $2-3mm, though.

Edit: As for I banking, you start out as an analyst, they make crap and work almost 20 hours a day. Weekends are also assumed. Once you get up the ranks and put in the years, a bonus can easily be 1/2 million. VPs make a lot, too. You need to be a good salesman for I-banking and Merger/Acq, too. The days of $1mm bonus checks being handled out like raffle tickets died the day the internet/web company bubbble popped.

First of all: Do we really need another thread on this topic?

Second of all: For anyone who's considering i-banking, or just curious about that side of things ... read Monkey Business by John Rolfe and Peter Troob. One of the funniest and best books I've read, I'd say. Anyone heard of it?

Medicine is doomed!

The ceiling for I banking isn't going to be 2.5 times the "regular ppl"s salary, even if the salary is. People go into risky careers because with increased risk comes increased chance of rewards. Some folks have been known to get 2-3 times their salary as a year end bonus in I banking during good years. Regular ppl don't have earning potential substantially higher than their set salary. Similarly physicians also generally have income ceilings, and thanks to insurance company reimbursement policies, some specialties need to do more and more procedures each year to get to those ceilings.

But I agree with the prior poster who suggested the OP is a troll. His thread isn't even as creative as some of the money hungry threads that have come earlier this year. I hope he brings more effort to his future career or he won't be making much bling.

i agree with you mr. lawyer
but you say "some folks" in ibanking
just as "some folks" in medicine make an unbelievable amount of money but generally speaking, as you said, I agree that most ppl do not exceed their potential and thus earn their regular salary.

i agree with you mr. lawyer
but you say "some folks" in ibanking
just as "some folks" in medicine make an unbelievable amount of money but generally speaking, as you said, I agree that most ppl do not exceed their potential and thus earn their regular salary.

I would stress that I banking earnings are cyclical and riskier but with huge upside potential, while medical earnings have been more stable but the ceiling is pretty inpenetrable. (The days of "unbelievable amounts of money" in medicine pretty much have ended, today the expectation is "comfortable"). Someone purely focusing on money would likely take the riskier road for the better payoff, i would think.

Medicine is doomed!

Lol, most people who go in for the money are in for a very unpleasant surprise ;)
You work your ass off in undergrad, then work twice as hard in med school, and then work 10x as hard as an intern/resident earning about 30 grand/year.... and then to earn the nice amount of money the OP seems to be after, you'll still have to put in a lot of work every week, unless you do radiology/dermatology, which chances are, you won't be able to.

Meanwhile, your best friend the engineer/banker/businessman has been making five times as much during that time....

I don't see people who are in just for the money lasting very long... it's just not worth it...

Did you read this part " Everything else is secondary for me." If you did, doesn't that mean that everything else DOES matter to me.

Enroll in a MBA program...if you work just as hard in the business world, the sky is the limit financially whereas you can cap out pretty quickly in medicine. Also it's pretty difficult to bank like crazy in medicine when you're 55+ even in private practice. You can still make millions in business as long as your mind is intact. Medicine is, for the most part, too hard of a life to go into it for the money.

Did you read this part " Everything else is secondary for me." If you did, doesn't that mean that everything else DOES matter to me.

gee get a bit more defensive...to answer your question. The answer is NO...you're claiming an impossibility by saying that you're going into medicine only for the money yet you think you can care for your patients? You still get your money regardless of the outcome of any patient so if money is your main motivator how can you legitimately care for the patients if you get your money anyway?

Whats wrong with helping people and making money?

gee get a bit more defensive...to answer your question. The answer is NO...you're claiming an impossibility by saying that you're going into medicine only for the money yet you think you can care for your patients? You still get your money regardless of the outcome of any patient so if money is your main motivator how can you legitimately care for anything else?

if all his patients die, people might get a bit suspicious...

Whats wrong with helping people and making money?

That would be okay except that (1) the OP said the ONLY reason he is going into medicine is money (not helping people AND money), and (2) medicine is a very long, arduous and time intensive career, and if you don't actually enjoy it, it won't matter how much money you make -- what good is a nice paycheck if you dread almost every waking hour of your adult life? Thus money has to be secondary -- a nice perk, but not the primary motivation.

Are you serious? If you are doing this for the money then you are crazy. Y not go into another field that makes as much money or more. In my opinion if I was doing this just for the money I wouldve quit a long time ago because of all of the blood sweat and tears of trying to get into medical school. You have to really enjoy helping others and the practice of medicine in order to stay focused and really stay dedicated

I do enjoy helping others and making their lives less miserable and in return getting respect. That is the second reason I want to do it. After I retire, I will open free healthcare Hospitals for the poor and spend rest of my life out there helping the less fortunate.

I do enjoy helping others and making their lives less miserable and in return getting respect. That is the second reason I want to do it. After I retire, I will open free healthcare Hospitals for the poor and spend rest of my life out there helping the less fortunate.

See -- you really need to look at the prior threads on this same topic. You are clearly trolling, but not doing it as well as some of the threads that have come before you. I mean, money first, respect second. What's third -- the golfing or the trophy wife?

Nice Try........... but I think it's a little that for that BS