Are DO's recognized overseas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending DO med school next Sept. Just wanted to get some feedback on the recognition of DO's overseas and If they can be licence as Physicians OVereas??

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your post. It is very helpfull.
As stated in the article, it is evidently very difficult to obtain licensure in most of the overseas countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post. It is very helpfull.
As stated in the article, it is evidently very difficult to obtain licensure in most of the overseas countries.
No problem...anyway...whether they are recognized or not....getting a license in other countries apparently isn't very easy as a foreign doc, MD or DO (US doc is the foreigner in this case)...though for medical mission trips....DO's have no problems

The link you provided takes us to a page where the various responses of certain countries are listed with regard to practice rights of DOs...This was communicated to the AOA....However, I'm wondering if the AOA inquired in these countries with the assumption that there would be a difference in the response depending on whether the DO completed an MD or DO residency and then sought to practice in that country?

It just seems illogical to me that in certain countries, i.e. France or Britain, the practice of a DO is limited to manipulation (likely because they are following the British definition of an "osteopath?") when in fact an American DO can take the USMLE and complete an MD residency?

Sorry if I missed something, I really read over each post briefly. However, the britain statement is outdated. DOs have full practice rights in UK now. Many countries (yes many) accept DOs for full practice not only missionary work. In addition, conversations are being held as we speak with a number of other countries to obtain licensure. It is really only a minority of countries which are uncooperative. Hope that helps!

That's amazing! I've been hoping for this for years. Can you show where the publication is? I love the DO philosophy, but my fiance and I have always wanted to move to the UK at some point.

Just to reiterate, some practicing US doctors find it hard to get licensure in foreign countries.

If I remember correctly German has allowed DO's for at least the past 10 years and Britian since 2005.

Some links:

AOA's site about DO's around the world. If you are an AOA member you can access the member's only international information.

Also, ValueMD had a great post about this back in 2004/2005

This is straight out of an email from the AOA (the one current DO students get daily):

"Currently, approximately 45 countries accept US-trained DOs for full physician licensure, and many others grant limited licensure. Log in to DO-Online and click on State Government, then Licensure, to read our summary of licensure requirements in countries around the world. If you wish to investigate licensure possibilities in a country not listed in the summary or would like to have more information regarding one of the listed countries, please contact the AOA Division of State Government & International Affairs at (800) 621-1773 ext. 8196."