DO’s applying to IR residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN-2-Medicine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super interested in radiology.

Whats it like for DO graduates applying for residency?

Also, I am a bit confused as to why intern year in Surgery/IM is often done at a separate location from the home IR program. Can anyone clarify that for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look up charting outcomes in the match for DOs, it's about a 50-60% match rate for IR or DR.
It's often at a separate location because you apply for your intern year separately since the vast majority of radiology programs are advanced.

Look up charting outcomes in the match for DOs, it's about a 50-60% match rate for IR or DR.
It's often at a separate location because you apply for your intern year separately since the vast majority of radiology programs are advanced.

So you apply prelim IM / Gen Surg first, and then in year two apply radiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
You apply for everything at the same time (4th year of med school) but you will match intern year and advanced (radiology) separately

Last edited:
In the same application season, at the same time, you apply to intern years AND radiology programs. When you make a match list, you can list your radiology program and then underneath it is a separate supplementary rank list for your intern year.

Example: you rank university of Cincinnati as your number one. And then your associated supplementary top 3 prelim programs are at or near the university of Cincinnati. Your number two is university of Missouri. You have a different supplementary rank list associated with this location in Missouri. That way you don’t have to do the prelim and the rads residency in two different places, potentially on opposite ends of the country (unless you want to for whatever reason).

IR is very competitive, even moreso than DR but that gap is closing. If you apply DR, there is an alternative pathway through ESIR where you spend your 4th year of radiology residency doing IR and don’t lose anytime. The spot for ESIR is not guaranteed, but almost always available as it’s very common to switch from IR to DR (IR is considerably less sexy as a resident). This allows you to have better flexibility with where you train, especially as a DO. Worst case scenario is that you don’t have an opening for ESIR and have to do an extra year of training to be IR, but that’s pretty rare.

Reactions: 1 users
In the same application season, at the same time, you apply to intern years AND radiology programs. When you make a match list, you can list your radiology program and then underneath it is a separate supplementary rank list for your intern year.

Example: you rank university of Cincinnati as your number one. And then your associated supplementary top 3 prelim programs are at or near the university of Cincinnati. Your number two is university of Missouri. You have a different supplementary rank list associated with this location in Missouri. That way you don’t have to do the prelim and the rads residency in two different places, potentially on opposite ends of the country (unless you want to for whatever reason).

IR is very competitive, even moreso than DR but that gap is closing. If you apply DR, there is an alternative pathway through ESIR where you spend your 4th year of radiology residency doing IR and don’t lose anytime. The spot for ESIR is not guaranteed, but almost always available as it’s very common to switch from IR to DR (IR is considerably less sexy as a resident). This allows you to have better flexibility with where you train, especially as a DO. Worst case scenario is that you don’t have an opening for ESIR and have to do an extra year of training to be IR, but that’s pretty rare.
This!!! Thanks

Also, I am a bit confused as to why intern year in Surgery/IM is often done at a separate location from the home IR program. Can anyone clarify that for me.

Rads residencies are generally in more academic centers compared to IM. those same centers probably have competitive IM residencies that only want to take people who are actually going to do IM.

transitional interns aren't serious about IM and neither are IM residencies about them. its just that a whatever year before they go to the fields they want. they might as well just go to a more laid back community program for their transitional year.

entirely my guess. it does suck having to move again though

Rads residencies are generally in more academic centers compared to IM. those same centers probably have competitive IM residencies that only want to take people who are actually going to do IM.

transitional interns aren't serious about IM and neither are IM residencies about them. its just that a whatever year before they go to the fields they want. they might as well just go to a more laid back community program for their transitional year.

entirely my guess. it does suck having to move again though

Ahh ok.

I’m currently midwest theres a lot of DO’s out here. If I go DO route hopefully by 2028 there’s more radiology programs for me.