Why Pharmacy of all things? yeah, yeah, yeah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor_rigby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies for the question that you'll get thrown out at you enumerable times, but what is/are your motivations for wanting to go into the profession? I want honest answers only because we're not here for an interview and you're anonymity will keep you safe from scrutiny.

Money is a huge factor even if it's secondary for some, but it's not a sufficient answer and those that are delusional into thinking otherwise need not reply.

I've been working at a retail pharmacy for a bit over a year now and the pharmacists are all old bats who are jaded with life and hold negative views in regards to the entire health field in general. In addition, they're all chauvinist bastards who only talk about they're earning potential.

I'm tired of phony answers from people, so if you've have any fulfilling experiences or are getting something out of the job that I'm not, then please feel free to put in some input.

Out of anyone else who is qualified for the job, why of all people should YOU be taking the spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Because I'm good, I'm not old..nor jaded... and am very postive.

I'm good at math and science. Plus, I like helping and working with people, but like you said, I would be lying if I said I didn't consider the earning potential of the profession. LIke everything else, however, you have to earn a living somehow and work mainly to pay other people for things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, well Eleanor....

You'd probably consider me old (Zpack doesn't...but then that just proves how old he is - or that he's not a chauvinistic bastard - I hate using that word!) However.....I've been around the pharmacy block a bit. And..perhaps some techs & students think me an old bat. But..you did ask about me & why I wanted to become a pharmacist.

Now - enough silliness. I'll tell you honestly what I told my interviewer in 1973 and I think it still holds true in 2006. Too many people are too confused about their medications to understand what the medications are supposed to do, what the medications are capable of doing, what they can expect from medications and the things the medications cannot do. Now those people can be patients, prescribers and those who administer medications.

Having been in practice for nearly 30 years - I'd have to say - that is often the case. A prescriber is always familiar with the medications in his/her realm of practice - but sometimes needs some help with those that are outside. Patients still too often leave their prescriber's offices without a clear understanding of the medication they have been prescribed & what to expect. Most recently, we've heard of a terrible medication error - in part (& I would emphasize here - in part ONLY) caused by a lack of understanding of the different possible strengths that medication is available in & the devastating consequences when the strengths are not clearly read & understood.

I felt in 1973 & I still feel today I can make a significant & positive contribution to the practice of pharmacy. It has been a fulfulling and successful career, but not without its own stress & anxiety. Money is & always will be a side issue (I know you didn't want to hear that, but sometimes you get what you don't want).

I hope that has helped you formulate your own ideas. Perhaps you think them phoney - I can't help what your perception is, but that has been my own experience. However....I would like you to think about one thing. Is it at all possible that you may be limiting yourself in your own judgements of those you work with (those old bats who have such negative views of healthcare....etc...)? They may indeed hold such views of healthcare, but that doesn't mean you can't learn something from them. I only say that because one of my best preceptors ever was an older man (yeah - you'd say he was an old bat - he was grumpy) & perhaps chauvinistic (he wondered why such a cute thing like me didn't just marry that dental student I was dating & get on with living - in other words - start a family - which we did - but later...)...

Anyway...this older fellow...in spite of his negative comments was one of the very best pharmacists I ever learned from. He taught me some of the older compounding techniques which most of you probably never learn now & I've not used in years, but I have. He also taught me about how to deal with people. And pharmacy is a profession which has to deal with people who are often at their worst - he helped me learn the practical side of compassion, empathy, setting boundaries, learning my own limits.....

So Eleanor - more information than you wanted....but its a good lesson - be careful what you ask for!

im going for it because you get 100k+ salary, the pharmd program is only 4 yrs and u graduate with a "Dr." title. to me being a doctor is a plus.. also when u work..u get to be the boss on the floor.

My husband is the main bread winner, so I went into pharmacy to sock away money for retirement. I'm very interested in science and if money was not a factor, I think I would have been much happier in a lab.

If I was younger, I think I would have pursued medicine. To be honest, I have the ego for it.

At this point in my life, I want to work 40 hours a week, not have the headaches of running my own business (been there already), but have a job that I find interesting and that I enjoy. Pharmacy seemed a good fit.

Ok I'll bite...

1. My Grandmother has been severely mentally ill since I can remember. However, if I didn't know that she used to talk about gremlins fighting under her bed, I would never think that there was ever any problem. With the correct medications and dosages, she has become your everyday knitting, Hover Round riding, 70 year old. Therefore, I have seen first hand the positive effects of drugs, and I want to have a part in that.

2. I love science. LOVE IT. I don't find it easy by any means, but the challenge is what makes it more interesting to me.

3. I'm going to agree with Da Alchemist. The "Dr." title is a big bonus. Not having to go to med school? An even bigger bonus.

4. The money is good, but I don't think it comes by easy. I've talked to so many people that, when told I want to be a pharmacist, ask why I want to sit at CVS and count pills all day. This, as we all know, is not the case. Pharmacy is not easy...and money doesn't fall from the sky. We are all going to have to work hard to get that $100,000 a year.

5. And lastly, I want to work with patients, but I don't want to look down their throats, up their noses, or have to change someones disgusting sheets. I respect those who can do that...but I'm not that much of a people to people hands on person. I would much rather help someone without the risk of being thrown up on.

Well, well Eleanor....

You'd probably consider me old (Zpack doesn't...but then that just proves how old he is - or that he's not a chauvinistic bastard - I hate using that word!) However.....I've been around the pharmacy block a bit. And..perhaps some techs & students think me an old bat. But..you did ask about me & why I wanted to become a pharmacist.

Now - enough silliness. I'll tell you honestly what I told my interviewer in 1973 and I think it still holds true in 2006. Too many people are too confused about their medications to understand what the medications are supposed to do, what the medications are capable of doing, what they can expect from medications and the things the medications cannot do. Now those people can be patients, prescribers and those who administer medications.

Having been in practice for nearly 30 years - I'd have to say - that is often the case. A prescriber is always familiar with the medications in his/her realm of practice - but sometimes needs some help with those that are outside. Patients still too often leave their prescriber's offices without a clear understanding of the medication they have been prescribed & what to expect. Most recently, we've heard of a terrible medication error - in part (& I would emphasize here - in part ONLY) caused by a lack of understanding of the different possible strengths that medication is available in & the devastating consequences when the strengths are not clearly read & understood.

I felt in 1973 & I still feel today I can make a significant & positive contribution to the practice of pharmacy. It has been a fulfulling and successful career, but not without its own stress & anxiety. Money is & always will be a side issue (I know you didn't want to hear that, but sometimes you get what you don't want).

I hope that has helped you formulate your own ideas. Perhaps you think them phoney - I can't help what your perception is, but that has been my own experience. However....I would like you to think about one thing. Is it at all possible that you may be limiting yourself in your own judgements of those you work with (those old bats who have such negative views of healthcare....etc...)? They may indeed hold such views of healthcare, but that doesn't mean you can't learn something from them. I only say that because one of my best preceptors ever was an older man (yeah - you'd say he was an old bat - he was grumpy) & perhaps chauvinistic (he wondered why such a cute thing like me didn't just marry that dental student I was dating & get on with living - in other words - start a family - which we did - but later...)...

Anyway...this older fellow...in spite of his negative comments was one of the very best pharmacists I ever learned from. He taught me some of the older compounding techniques which most of you probably never learn now & I've not used in years, but I have. He also taught me about how to deal with people. And pharmacy is a profession which has to deal with people who are often at their worst - he helped me learn the practical side of compassion, empathy, setting boundaries, learning my own limits.....

So Eleanor - more information than you wanted....but its a good lesson - be careful what you ask for!

I found your story to be very touching and agree with you.

I initially decided to go into Pharmacy a little over a year ago. I have a BA in an unrelated field but was getting frustrated because I was unable to get anywhere with it. I started taking all of my science pre-reqs last summer and now have essentially completed them all. I also got a pharmacy technician position and am now certified.

Yes, I initially (solely) thought that Pharmacy would be great for the money. Like many Pharmacists, I find drugs to be fascinating but don't like touching patients or cleaning bedpans. But since I have become a pharm technician, I can really appreciate the profession on a much larger scale.

Here's the parts that I find appealing now:

1. Pharmacists are placed in such a position that they QC every drug dispensed which includes checking for interactions. Unlike the prescriber that conducts test after test to arrive at a prescription, a pharmacist just has to see that the prescription is within reason.

2. You will have patients who are sick that need your advice. However, as a pharmacist, you can suggest that they talk to their doctor about a drug, but you are not in the position to do the actual prescibing. Yes, you can call the doctor and see if a drug can be substituted or initiated, but the final decision rests with the prescriber. Therefore, a patient can never complain to you for not assessing their needs adequately.

3. You are your own boss and essentially set the mode in which the pharmacy will operate for your shift. I am a laid back person, but if the pharmacy gets busy, everyone needs to step up. Although not entirely routine, you know what you will be doing everyday when you go to work.

4. I enjoy people and love it when people come back to my pharmacy. That creates a sense of accomplishment knowing that you've made a difference to someone.

5. You don't have to bring your work home!

Pharmacy has its cons, like having to listen to rude customers and dealing with insurance companies. But what job doesn't have any cons?

because science is the only thing i'm good at!:oops:

Well, well Eleanor....

I ask a simple question in search for a straightforward answer and I get this rhetoric? Yeeshh! No need to digress with your dating life with your pre-health comrades either. :rolleyes:

I'm not so naive to stand for the whole "one represents all" ideal. But for all intents and purposes and as a forewarning to those that are going into pharmacy without experience, the job is no cakewalk. Neither is any job for that matter, but I just wanted to get the point across that there is plethoric amount of pharmacists who do find their misery in their careers, not just the three that I happened to work with as I'm sure there are others on the opposite side of the spectrum who find the job fulfilling, but most naive post-adolescents my age who are planning on going into the field are disillusioned in general.

I'm not much for petty human sentimentalities, so it's pretty difficult to find empathy or compassion for the junkies and argumentative shleps that come in every so often in retail and and the jobs pretty monotonous, but at least I'll be able to put my knowledge base into use.

I'm a very pragmatic person. I might not be the perfect person for the job, but as long as I'm adept at what I do, I'm good to go seeing that I've dealt with some pretty incompetent pharmacists at other pharmacies. Stability/job security, money, future prospects, etc. have a big hand in people's choices for picking pharmacy school. Otherwise, you wouldn't have such a large applicant pool. That's why I'm sick of hearing phony answers. I rather have someone who's able to pass the boards with flying colors and do the job fast, efficiently, and meticulously and it's amazing how many pharm grads are lacking in common sense which just drives me nuts.

And I'm not buying the whole "I love science!" spiel. You're not working with bunsen burners and titrations at the job. I feel sorry for the admin having to read thousands of the same phony answers.

And no one told you to use my word of choice for people who annoy me. Would you prefer shmuck over bastard? :D

I ask a simple question in search for a straightforward answer and I get this rhetoric? Yeeshh! No need to digress with your dating life with your pre-health comrades either. :rolleyes:

I'm not so naive to stand for the whole "one represents all" ideal. But for all intents and purposes and as a forewarning to those that are going into pharmacy without experience, the job is no cakewalk. Neither is any job for that matter, but I just wanted to get the point across that there is plethoric amount of pharmacists who do find their misery in their careers, not just the three that I happened to work with as I'm sure there are others on the opposite side of the spectrum who find the job fulfilling, but most naive post-adolescents my age who are planning on going into the field are disillusioned in general.

I'm not much for petty human sentimentalities, so it's pretty difficult to find empathy or compassion for the junkies and argumentative shleps that come in every so often in retail and and the jobs pretty monotonous, but at least I'll be able to put my knowledge base into use.

I'm a very pragmatic person. I might not be the perfect person for the job, but as long as I'm adept at what I do, I'm good to go seeing that I've dealt with some pretty incompetent pharmacists at other pharmacies. Stability/job security, money, future prospects, etc. have a big hand in people's choices for picking pharmacy school. Otherwise, you wouldn't have such a large applicant pool. That's why I'm sick of hearing phony answers. I rather have someone who's able to pass the boards with flying colors and do the job fast, efficiently, and meticulously and it's amazing how many pharm grads are lacking in common sense which just drives me nuts.

And I'm not buying the whole "I love science!" spiel. You're not working with bunsen burners and titrations at the job. I feel sorry for the admin having to read thousands of the same phony answers.

And no one told you to use my word of choice for people who annoy me. Would you prefer shmuck over bastard? :D

Eleanor - good luck with your approach. Somehow from your posts I don't think you've been accepted yet, so I have a hard time understanding how you can judge an "incompetent pharmacist" when you don't even know he/she decided to do or not do, what went into the decision - you have absolutely no capacity to judge at all!

I am one HELL of a pharmacist! I passed the CA board exams with flying colors & I'm fast, efficient & meticulous in what I do, altho none of that is any of your concern & certainly I could give a good g*d d*^n about what you think of my speed & efficiency! As for common sense - yours seems lacking even now - perhaps you'll be one of those grads you refer to?? However, I know you will get no where fast with the superior attitude & your "argumentative shlep".

Think about how you come across - you have to convince folks like me first to even get admitted (how do you know I don't sit on an admissions committee???? Your posts already identify some of who you are.) You come across surly & superior & indeed you are very adept at portraying yourself as an already judgemental person who lacks empathy & understanding.

However....if - & that is a big if you can pull off a positive interview with your attitude - you still have to suck it up & rein in your negativity for 4 years because you have all of your preceptors (who may be me - or others like me & the others here who just like what they do) who will be giving you written recommendations.

If you were my tech or intern....you can bet I would absolutely be a BASTARD - I'd make you do all the awful, repetitive jobs which are absolutely monotonous to the practice of pharmacy. Then....I'd have you make that morphine drip, day after day after day for that 4 year old who is dying of a leukemia in which the bone marrow transplant failed....AND I'd have you deliver it to the floor - day after day after day. Perhaps then you'd develop some "petty sentimentality".....or not.

Look at the length of time pharmacists spend in their careers??? Usually they don't change their careers - yes we bitch & sometimes daily. But for the most part we find it fulfilling. You've already judged that most of us don't like it - you're wrong!

Maybe you should think about a different career path?????

Did you just call me old?:eek:

Ok I'll bite...

1. My Grandmother has been severely mentally ill since I can remember. However, if I didn't know that she used to talk about gremlins fighting under her bed, I would never think that there was ever any problem. With the correct medications and dosages, she has become your everyday knitting, Hover Round riding, 70 year old. Therefore, I have seen first hand the positive effects of drugs, and I want to have a part in that.

2. I love science. LOVE IT. I don't find it easy by any means, but the challenge is what makes it more interesting to me.

3. I'm going to agree with Da Alchemist. The "Dr." title is a big bonus. Not having to go to med school? An even bigger bonus.

4. The money is good, but I don't think it comes by easy. I've talked to so many people that, when told I want to be a pharmacist, ask why I want to sit at CVS and count pills all day. This, as we all know, is not the case. Pharmacy is not easy...and money doesn't fall from the sky. We are all going to have to work hard to get that $100,000 a year.

5. And lastly, I want to work with patients, but I don't want to look down their throats, up their noses, or have to change someones disgusting sheets. I respect those who can do that...but I'm not that much of a people to people hands on person. I would much rather help someone without the risk of being thrown up on.

Sometimes it does...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP sounds like either fishing for good PS material or PO'd at not getting an acceptance.. ehhh...but I've been wrong many times. :love:

Did you just call me old?:eek:

No, sir....I did not.....for I, myself, am not old! And..that is in spite of what others might think....:D

You and I are....perhaps we can say..."experienced"?:)

I

Well, there are those of us who realized at some point that we really did love science, but we really did not enjoy being in the lab. The easy, 2 or 3 hour labs that you do in undergrad bio, chem, micro, etc. don't really have a lot to do with what being a research scientist and being in the lab 40 or 50 or 80 hours a week is like.

To me, pharmacy is a really good fit, in that I will have to have to study and apply extensive scientific knowledge, but I will not have to use that in a research setting (although PharmD's certainly can go in that direction if they are so inclined).

No, sir....I did not.....for I, myself, am not old! And..that is in spite of what others might think....:D

You and I are....perhaps we can say..."experienced"?:)

LOL...well, I'm 39 and my goal is to retire from Pharmacy at 40. So I have about 9 months to go. Of course this will depend on the progress of our business. I may have to readjust the goal to 41...

But when I do turn 4 - 0... I'm going to take a month off and party ...with family and friends. I'm having more fun today than I ever did in my 20's.

LOL...well, I'm 39 and my goal is to retire from Pharmacy at 40. So I have about 9 months to go. Of course this will depend on the progress of our business. I may have to readjust the goal to 41...

But when I do turn 4 - 0... I'm going to take a month off and party ...with family and friends. I'm having more fun today than I ever did in my 20's.

Yep! Have a huge party again at 40...but...it gets better & better even after that! (Don't forget to throw your wife a bigger party - she'll need it!)

I might have retired from pharmacy...but...my kids ended up being smarter than their parents....so....I've got one in college thinking about postgrad work & one in medical school and...most recently...a wedding to plan. But...we have a blast traveling around the country enroute to our visits with them.

Alas...a dentist can't take a month off at a time - too hard on the practice. So....we end up with many smaller vacations which surprisingly make coming back to work more interesting.

Think hard though about retiring from pharmacy altogether......the profession needs people like you!

flattery may get you somewhere...young lady.

Why pharmacy? Well, in my case, both of my parents are pharmacists, and my uncle is an MD. For YEARS, I only wanted to be an MD, be the next Dr. Syfrett in my home town.

However, in the past few years, I've started looking at the lifestyle differences between my parents and my uncle. (My dad and uncle are just 4 years apart, and graduated their respective schools on the SAME DAY). My uncle is just now retiring, and is burnt out. His health is failing due to the stress levels and the many years of call work. Malpractice insurance in Florida was eating him alive (even with no claims in years).

In contrast, my father owned and operated a retail pharmacy for years. On the day he turned 50, he sold the pharmacy, and "retired". He now works 10 days/mo as a consultant pharmacist. My mother went back to school and got her Pharm.D (from UF), and now is the director of pharmacy for a Veteran's Nursing home. After seeing the difference she makes in the lives of the people at her facility, I realized that I could do just as much good as a pharmacist. On top of that, not having to deal (typically) with being on call, and the ability to have TIME for my family (one day...hopefully), make pharmacy all the more appealing choice.

However, that is just my viewpoint...YMMV.
-Jeeves

Id like to add to this post. It seems interesting that one would post about pharmacy school and demand a reason from others as to why they want to be a pharmacist. A better place to post that question might be in the " future butt doctors" excuse me. But anyway, Pharmacy is the closest you can get to helping patients besides nursing or md's. Medication givers are in my opinion doctors. You may not be prescribing the medication however you are advising and delivering the medication to patients. Many people like the role. You learn a great deal through college and its a great profession.

hiya everyone.wel i just had a skim through some of the posts and i was wondering if ANYONE OF U GUYS COULD tell me, OTHER THAN THE MONEY FACTOR, why you would want to choose Pharmacy???....why pharmacy of all other careers and what can u gain from being a pharmacist and all the other questions linked to this.

THE RESON why i am asking this is because i want to become a pharmacist and i am applying for it THIS year, and i have to write a Personal Statement on why i want to choose pharmcy and what the roles of a pharmacist is....well basicallly i NEED MAYJOR HELP in construsting my statemnt so that i can GET INTo university and do this course.

wel...now i'll telll u why i want to do pharmcy? well my only reason is that u can get a job straight after the 5 yrs of this degree. (but then u might say...u can do that will other jobs too....)...but i want to do pharmacy and not another career, but that isnt a good enough answer...so this is why i AM TURNING TO ALL OF GUYS to give me a paragraph to talk about pharmacy. and this will be read by teh admission tutors and it really needs to be good, as teh compition is very high!!!pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...i'm begging YOU ALL, i reallly need your HELP!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

You can't apply to pharmacy school before you're out of elementary school, so you're just wasting your time.

hiya everyone.wel i just had a skim through some of the posts and i was wondering if ANYONE OF U GUYS COULD tell me, OTHER THAN THE MONEY FACTOR, why you would want to choose Pharmacy???....why pharmacy of all other careers and what can u gain from being a pharmacist and all the other questions linked to this.

THE RESON why i am asking this is because i want to become a pharmacist and i am applying for it THIS year, and i have to write a Personal Statement on why i want to choose pharmcy and what the roles of a pharmacist is....well basicallly i NEED MAYJOR HELP in construsting my statemnt so that i can GET INTo university and do this course.

wel...now i'll telll u why i want to do pharmcy? well my only reason is that u can get a job straight after the 5 yrs of this degree. (but then u might say...u can do that will other jobs too....)...but i want to do pharmacy and not another career, but that isnt a good enough answer...so this is why i AM TURNING TO ALL OF GUYS to give me a paragraph to talk about pharmacy. and this will be read by teh admission tutors and it really needs to be good, as teh compition is very high!!!pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...i'm begging YOU ALL, i reallly need your HELP!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

hmm..... I suggest you take Elements of English Writing 101 before you investigate philosophical aspects of the pharmacy profession...

i think i have gathered that all of you are from some part of America. i say this because when i mentioned school, you said elementary. i think which is lower than secondary school, or high school which you might say. my school IS a college which is joined together so its a 6th form college. i live in london so the system is COMPLELY DIFFERNT TO YOURS. i just need to know what a pharmacist involves and its roles other than just dispencing drugs. i have searched the net but it would be great coming from a REAL PHARMACIST.

OK - I'm a REAL PHARMACIST (not exactly sure what that means in all caps, but whatever...) I've met a few foreign pharmacists & have actually worked with a few here....so I know enough to know that our jobs are different & ususually dictated by our health systems.

I'd recommend trying to talk to a local pharmacist from Great Britian. I will admit I've never spoken with an English pharmacist....just Swiss, Austrian, French & South African via Canada. So...what I tell you I might do, have done or could possibly do here in the states might be meaningless in your area.

Perhaps pm Requiem - I think he's Canadian & he might give you some info or have some links to info which may be more beneficial.

Please ask me anything about pharmacists in the US system though. I'd just hate to lead you on or give you wrong info as it might apply to your system.

Good luck!