Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Freeze

Not right. (in the head)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured someone would have beat me to this, but I searched and didn't see one...

Paying it forward for all the help we got on here. I know you guys are out there 'cuz we saw your stressed faces all dolled up in your interview gear last week. But SOMEHOW I bet we looked more stressed, if not more SLEEPY...

There are more than ample resources on here to get all your questions answered...

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they're shy. :)

Ya know it didn't even click in my head the other day when I saw all those suits on my way out of the mod that they were interviewing...lol I was thinking "tourists" or something.

They were interviewing? Good thing they kept them away from me... I couldn't have told 'em my own name last week and probably would have just started mumbling incoherent things...

But, hey, happy to help others to come join us in the fun!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey-i'm new to this stuff...so are you all going to give us all the inside info that we need for acceptance? J/K...hey johnny! looks like you got in...congrats!!!

Hey-i'm new to this stuff...so are you all going to give us all the inside info that we need for acceptance? J/K...hey johnny! looks like you got in...congrats!!!

Sure, that's what we're here for. Seriously, the Class of 2009 did it for us, and we're happy to pass it on to you. The Class of 2010 Prospective thread was one of the most active on here last year. OU's a great school and answering questions is only passing on a favor that was given to us.

Heya Nick! How's it going?
Yea I made it...had to sleep with the dean's garbage man's ugly sister....but hey... its all red tape.

I was surprised you weren't in our class...was totally rootin for ya man...you'll be here in this coming august...my money's on ya.

Well, I figured since I was a 2010 hopeful, and I posted on there excessively last year, I'd go ahead and start posting excessively on here, too! Thanks, Mr. Freeze for getting it going. Here's to a good application year & keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get deferred & then waitlisted again!!!! :rolleyes: How nice it would be to know sometime in January that I really, truly am going to be a doctor.

Currently I am waiting for my AAMC transcripts to be verified. The admissions folks said that as long as I met the Nov. 1 supplemental deadline, they could wait for my AAMC application to finish the verification process.

Let the hurry up and wait begin!

Congrats to Jwax on the awesome MCAT score! You lucky thing, this time next year you get to spend hours and hours stressing out about learning every little detail involved in carbohydrate metabolism so that you can survive the hell that is test block! It's loads of fun, you should be really psyched.

I think if you have a specific class year in the title of the thread, they automatically move it to the "Class Threads" folder, and a lot of the pre-meds won't know to look here. I would suggest maybe opening a thread in PreAllo with a more generic "Oklahoma Applicants" type title?

I asked to move it there, but I only asked one person...I wasn't thinking when I put it here...

Oh sorry - I just assumed that you formed it in pre-allo and the mods moved it here

YEAH!!! WOO-HOOO!!!! Got my scores....excited...but modest! 32 was the total! I am pumped...looks like I'll be getting an interview...haven't heard yet, but I hope I will also be part of the class of 2011! :laugh:

I would not change the thread...was the prospective class of 2010 thread in pre-allo or allo? It got a alot of action where it was didn't it? Anyway, we'll follow it wherever it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAH!!! WOO-HOOO!!!! Got my scores....excited...but modest! 32 was the total! I am pumped...looks like I'll be getting an interview...haven't heard yet, but I hope I will also be part of the class of 2011! :laugh:

Congrats Nick...great score :thumbup:

Nice score - congrats! ;)

Hey, Smitty, thanks for the encouragement :laugh: . I'm so looking forward to cramming every little detail regarding the functioning of the human body - it'll be awesome!!! I'm hopefully going to get a leg up by taking Human Anatomy (w/cadaver lab) and Human Physiology in the spring at OU. I declared pre-PA so I could work on those pre-reqs (it's my back-up if I never get into medical school). So, I should know at least one of the 1,000,000 things you need to learn in med school! :rolleyes:

Just found this today off a link in the pre-med forums. I never visit the "medical students" forum because, well, I'm not one yet. :)

Hopefully I hear back from OU soon.. I interviewed at the end of September and loved the place. I think they said they would send out the first wave of acceptances in the first week or two of November. I've been counting down every day.

Just found this today off a link in the pre-med forums. I never visit the "medical students" forum because, well, I'm not one yet. :)

Hopefully I hear back from OU soon.. I interviewed at the end of September and loved the place. I think they said they would send out the first wave of acceptances in the first week or two of November. I've been counting down every day.

Yea I remember doing the "Mailbox Trot" 6 times a day waiting on the mail to arrive. Neighbors thinking I was a dork or waiting on my new blowup doll or something.

thank you guys so much for starting this thread! i interviewed at ou in september and loved it. i can hardly wait to see if i get in. any advice on making the time pass faster?

thank you guys so much for starting this thread! i interviewed at ou in september and loved it. i can hardly wait to see if i get in. any advice on making the time pass faster?

alcohol :D

Can anyone tell me how long post-interview until you got an acceptance from OU?

Can anyone tell me how long post-interview until you got an acceptance from OU?

Their usual turnaround time is about one to two weeks, but this year's different because they're interviewing earlier. I think you unlucky (or lucky because you got to interview earlier) people have to wait until November. I'm guessing they'll get the decisions our really fast then.

Oh yeah, if any of you don't know, OU sends your acceptance package in a huge red envelope. You can't miss it. :) G'luck! :luck:

Hey guys, I'm interviewing this coming thursday. Woo-hoo I got the third interview day. Is anyone else joining me? Dotty in the admissions office said letters will go out on November 2nd. I also pulled this off their website:

Admissions Updates
(updated 10/17/06)

Applications Received: 1328

Interviews
Offered: 77
Remaining: 173

Admissions
Offers made: 0

Hey guys, I'm interviewing this coming thursday. Woo-hoo I got the third interview day. Is anyone else joining me? Dotty in the admissions office said letters will go out on November 2nd. I also pulled this off their website:

Admissions Updates
(updated 10/17/06)

Interviews
Admissions

That's cool! I don't remember them being that open with the statistics before.

Good luck!

Talpa, I'll see you there. Hopefully our early interviews are a good sign!

Admissions Updates
(updated 10/17/06)

Interviews

Admissions

Sweet, thanks for the info! Good luck on your interview. :luck:

Admissions Updates
(updated 10/24/06)

Interviews
Offered: 89
Remaining: 161

Admissions

Weird.. only 12 more interviews offered as of the 24th? Tomorrow is another interview day. That's not a lot of people, no?

I imagine it is dwindling with the new number of applications until post Nov. 1st deadline. Unfortunately, I procrastenated on my transcripts & they are still being reviewed by AAMC so I have to wait on that until my application is complete :( . I'm so ready to get the interview invite & get this over with! I'm expecting better results than last year, except a Jan. interview instead of Dec due to the later application completion. We shall see...

Why do you have to tell them about the red envelope??? I really wished I hadn't know b/c it was so heartbreaking to get the plain manilla envelope saying "deferred" and then "waitlisted". Blah... I'd rather have not known what was coming until after I opened it!

I imagine it is dwindling with the new number of applications until post Nov. 1st deadline. Unfortunately, I procrastenated on my transcripts & they are still being reviewed by AAMC so I have to wait on that until my application is complete :( . I'm so ready to get the interview invite & get this over with! I'm expecting better results than last year, except a Jan. interview instead of Dec due to the later application completion. We shall see...

Why do you have to tell them about the red envelope??? I really wished I hadn't know b/c it was so heartbreaking to get the plain manilla envelope saying "deferred" and then "waitlisted". Blah... I'd rather have not known what was coming until after I opened it!

There's always a chance they could change it. :p

Dude, I am going through the same thing! I submitted my app in early Sep. and then my transcripts were received Sep 20th! Exactly 6 weeks before Nov 1st! I hope my app. completes this week at least a few days before the deadline. I am checking my application and compulsively calling amcas every freaking day! I am for sure it did not take this long last year for the verification thing.

Dude, I am going through the same thing! I submitted my app in early Sep. and then my transcripts were received Sep 20th! Exactly 6 weeks before Nov 1st! I hope my app. completes this week at least a few days before the deadline. I am checking my application and compulsively calling amcas every freaking day! I am for sure it did not take this long last year for the verification thing.

I might be misreading your post, but you're still fine with the Nov. 1 deadline. I think that's for submission of your AMCAS application, not for processing. Otherwise, you couldn't control it because processing time is so variable.

So how are they awarding interviews this year? Last year, they waited until all applications had been received and then gave interviews based your numbers. Are they breaking with that since they're interviewing lots of people before their application deadline?

Sorry about the red envelope info. :oops:

Yep breaking that old fashioned stuff. Come on RED ENVELOPE!! If they don't do that this year I'm going to be real depressed upon receiving one of a different color.

Good luck to those of you with interviews tomorrow!

It's test block 2 next week, so the folks giving tours are gonna look kind of stressed as well. ;) Unless, of course, Michael had to wrangle some MS3s and 4s to give tours.

Good luck to those of you with interviews tomorrow!

It's test block 2 next week, so the folks giving tours are gonna look kind of stressed as well. ;) Unless, of course, Michael had to wrangle some MS3s and 4s to give tours.

Yep, it's sort of bad timing. If anybody's really grumpy or looks horrible, just ignore them. :)

Ditto on the good luck to people interviewing and to people waiting! :luck:

Hey! Good luck to you guys on your interviews tomorrow! Hopefully you all get the 9:00 a.m. spots!!! Remember, use the bottled water...and remember to u:scared: nscrew the caps, don't fall for the sport-squirt tops...it kills time and you don't get water all over your face and suit!

I didn't submit my AMCAS app until the beginning of October, because I'm a dork. The transcripts were received before the 15th, I think... I sent an email to OUHSC admissions folks & asked if I wasn't going to be considered b/c my app would probably not be finished by the Nov 1 deadline, and they said as long as I had everything else in (LOR's, $$$), they could wait on AMCAS being completed. So, don't stress if yours isn't finished by the 1st as long as you have everything else in! :)

I have a love/hate relationship with the stats that they have on the OUCOM website... I like knowing where I may stand, but I also dislike knowing that only ~20% of the people applying will even get an interview... and that 89 out of the 250 interview slots have already been filled. Makes me nervous! I was so sure I'd get an interview, but now I kinda think I have to worry about that, too! Stupid changing the system... no me gusta. :mad:

Okay, so it's my own fault my app isn't done yet, but whatever....

What do you guys think?

In my interview(end of Sept), I forgot to mention the ER volunteer service that I committed to after submitting my AMCAS (thus it was not recorded on there). My AMCAS had limited patient/clinical experience aside from shadowing doctors. So, I emailed admissions to have it added to my file after the fact (couldn't hurt right?), which they did. I also had to request the names of my interviewers for thank you cards because well.. I was nervous and forgot to write them down. Problem, or just stressing over nothing? I would think they would ask questions over anything they saw a hole in.. and patient experience never really came up. I felt like I spoke intelligently about medicine otherwise.

Just looking for someone else's .02. Honesty appreciated.

Good luck to those interviewing today. Let us know how it goes.

I didn't submit my AMCAS app until the beginning of October, because I'm a dork. The transcripts were received before the 15th, I think... I sent an email to OUHSC admissions folks & asked if I wasn't going to be considered b/c my app would probably not be finished by the Nov 1 deadline, and they said as long as I had everything else in (LOR's, $$$), they could wait on AMCAS being completed. So, don't stress if yours isn't finished by the 1st as long as you have everything else in! :)

When I applied, I had submitted my AMCAS application the day after getting my August MCAT scores back (October 15), and all of my LOR's were not in until early November. They still slid me into their first interview set which was not until November at the time. Trust me, you will be first judged by your MCAT score. If it pleases, then they will bring you in for questioning and get that red envelope in the mail. Some say that GPA is also important, but my grades sucked.

I have a love/hate relationship with the stats that they have on the OUCOM website... I like knowing where I may stand, but I also dislike knowing that only ~20% of the people applying will even get an interview... and that 89 out of the 250 interview slots have already been filled. Makes me nervous! I was so sure I'd get an interview, but now I kinda think I have to worry about that, too! Stupid changing the system... no me gusta. :mad:

Don't let that bother you. Go to:

http://www.ouhsc.edu/admissions/reports/0607.htm

and check out Fall 2006 applicants by gender, residency, and age. There were 1404 applications last year, but 74% were by non-residents. Now look at the admitted chart--74% of 217 admitted were residents. Overall, 85% of those enrolled are residents by state mandate. So if you are an Oklahoma resident, your odds are much better than one in five.

Also, it looks like they have done interviews early this year as sort of a pseudo-EDP, but if they haven't accepted any of the early people by now, I am inclined to think that it is just an exercise in competing with the speed of the Texas system without changing their admit dates.

What do you guys think?

In my interview(end of Sept), I forgot to mention the ER volunteer service that I committed to after submitting my AMCAS (thus it was not recorded on there). My AMCAS had limited patient/clinical experience aside from shadowing doctors. So, I emailed admissions to have it added to my file after the fact (couldn't hurt right?), which they did. I also had to request the names of my interviewers for thank you cards because well.. I was nervous and forgot to write them down. Problem, or just stressing over nothing? I would think they would ask questions over anything they saw a hole in.. and patient experience never really came up. I felt like I spoke intelligently about medicine otherwise.

Don't bother with the thank-you's. Traditionally, OU adcoms meet and score applicants the afternoon after interviews. After lunch on the first day of interviews last year, they had already met and agreed to accept 23 of the 25 people who interviewed. The only thing left to debate were scholarship offers.

I also wouldn't worry about your clinical experience. If your numbers were good enough to get you an interview already, you have already succeeded in impressing them on paper. The only residents or people with state ties who don't get in after the interview this early in the game seriously set off a red flag during the interview.

What do you guys think?

Just looking for someone else's .02. Honesty appreciated.

Good luck to those interviewing today. Let us know how it goes.

The adcom most likely had the meeting at 12:00 after the 3rd round of interviews. At this point you are either Accepted, Rejected or deferred. So, anything you add to your file after your interview (including thankyou's) may not matter unless you are deferred.
How do you think your interview went? This should be your best indicator of your status. If they said things like "you will fit in really well here", etc.. you are probably accepted. If they said something like "I don't think you can make it in medical school" than you are probably rejected. Duh! :) I'm speaking from experience because both of those phrases came up in my interviews (rejected the first time I applied and accepted the second time). If they gave you no indication than who know's!!
Anyway, best of luck to all of you! Don't give up and enjoy your free time now! Med school is a b*tch, but I love it!:love:

Med school is a b*tch, but I love it!:love:

And the school loves you to, RachelD! There are tons of superficial teenagers on campus, but how many people can say that they succeed in medical school while managing a home full of little ones? We're inspired.

On an unrelated note, I would like to encourage applicants to please recruit other like-minded individuals to post stuff here this weekend so that I can break the monotony of studying by doling out semi-solicited advice.

So, Wiz, you decided to out yourself as an OU student. I had my suspicions. ;)

Speaking of interviews, mine was pretty cr@ppy because I felt like this one guy really grilled me and didn't seem to like my answers. I still got in and even got a scholarship. One other thing, since they do take longer to evaluate scholarships and send that letter, scholarship recipients might have to wait longer to get their acceptance letter. It happened to both me and NonTrad-Tulsa last year -- we were both freaking out because it took us about two weeks longer to hear than anybody else. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing if you don't hear immediately.

Speaking of interviews, mine was pretty cr@ppy because I felt like this one guy really grilled me and didn't seem to like my answers. I still got in and even got a scholarship. One other thing, since they do take longer to evaluate scholarships and send that letter, scholarship recipients might have to wait longer to get their acceptance letter. It happened to both me and NonTrad-Tulsa last year -- we were both freaking out because it took us about two weeks longer to hear than anybody else. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing if you don't hear immediately.

I wondered myself...

Yeah, when you hear back in three days, they don't pay you to come to OU. Maybe I should have applied elsewhere so that I got a signing bonus. "This guy only applied here, so we don't have to lure him away from school X..." Or I just really was THAT average.

And even if you don't think your interview went well, don't fret. I recognize at least 4 people from my interview group that looked like they were going to cry when they got done, but they are cramming for TB numero dos just like those of us who thought the interview was fun...

Same for my interview day. Two or three people acted like their interview went horrible. Come orientation, there they were. :)

Oh, and test block 2 is evil.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm look forward to next week when the first acceptances go out.

Same for my interview day. Two or three people acted like their interview went horrible. Come orientation, there they were. :)

Oh, and test block 2 is evil.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing it, but it really doesn't compare to test blocks VII and VIII, though. ;)

It's more material, higher order problem solving, but definitely more fun.

I remember when I was where you guys are now that I wasted several hours looking at IHI powerpoints for absolutely no good reason.

I wondered myself...

What if my school, my school identity, my school identification, and my school of preference do not agree with each other?

Interviews are luck of the draw, and different interviewers make themselves available for different dates regardless of how hard they grill you or how good your application is. I don't think, however, that any particular interviewer has a decreased accept rate. Actually, I don't really think that the interview is given that much weight if your numbers are up there. It's more of a tie-breaking thing down the road.

I got asked what cell I'd be if I could be a cell in the human body (I picked cardiac pacemaker), give an impromptu speech with humility as the topic, and name five medical inventions of the past thirty years. There was also a lot of talk about what I think the answer to increased health care costs is and how to guarantee coverage for more people. Nothing I wasn't prepared for.

Status
Not open for further replies.