University of Oklahoma COM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDimski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to start this, and hopefully a few other OU MS1's will join in! I'm really excited about coming back to OKC, I grew up right outside of OKC in Midwest City, and after four years at Baylor University, I'm ready to be back! I'm interested to see the changes they're making to the new curriculum after the "guinea pig" MS1 class this year.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am going to start this, and hopefully a few other OU MS1's will join in! I'm really excited about coming back to OKC, I grew up right outside of OKC in Midwest City, and after four years at Baylor University, I'm ready to be back! I'm interested to see the changes they're making to the new curriculum after the "guinea pig" MS1 class this year.

Hey, Baylor student are you doing OKC or Tulsa Track?

One of the changes is the anatomy section. I'm glad they changed that to eight weeks rather than four.

I'm not sure I like how they have or are planning to shorten study time for exam blocks. But I guess it makes sense to have more summer time.

Do you know of any other changes?

In terms of curriculum I'll be looking forward too seeing some USMLE Step 1 results for the guinea pigs.

Hey, count me in as a part of this thread. :) I can't wait til August!

Members don't see this ad :)
We should all meet up again soon, keep the fire going

I was not able to make it to the 2nd visit day, did I miss anything important?

I was not able to make it to the 2nd visit day, did I miss anything important?

Yeah they already gave us our first quiz over syncope lol. We had a lecture saturday morning and a quiz afterwards.

I think the financial aid lady was really informative helpful. You might email her to give you the gist of what you missed in terms of the information about loans (if you need them). I really felt like it was very valuable information.

A school tour and white coats which the student services will probably get you to come in and try a size in the future.

vaccines, don't wait till the last minute to fill out a vaccine form. I pray I don't need any shots.

I think I'm missing some stuff. You might ask for the free hat and shirt if their still offering them.

They aren't very apple friendly at the school. You can't speed up the lectures with an apple computer.

hi all, quick question:
when you sent in your general scholarship application (the one through the Hippocrates website), did you receive a confirmation e-mail or anything from Student Services or the Admissions Office? Mine went to a "successfully submitted" page...but I received no further communication about confirming this.

In terms of curriculum I'll be looking forward too seeing some USMLE Step 1 results for the guinea pigs.

I'm going to go ahead and place bets that the curriculum change will have minimal to no impact on step 1 scores. :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=463575&page=85 -- OU forum for all if you're interested. Lots of good info from OUCOM graduates and current med students, though it has kinda died out in the last year or so. But many of the long time readers still check it and are available for questions if/when you have them.

Good luck! As someone who obsessed in the pre-med forum for a few years before getting in followed by struggling to not die during the first two years of med school and currently ~25 days from graduating, I can say that it goes by fast. Sometimes it's slow (...during testing weeks), but before you know it... your older, colder, and bolder (for some reason I felt like rhyming, so maybe I should add weirder to the list). :luck:

My name is Jessica and I am a 1st year medical student at OU. My current roommate is moving out over the summer, and I am looking for a new roommate. Here's the details of the place if you're interested:

Sycamore Sqyuare South Apartment:
- 1,200 sq. ft.
- 2 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- Washer/dryer in unit
- Outdoor patio
- Fireplace

Complex Amenities:
- Pool
- Hot tub
- Outdoor grill
- Gated community

Located only 2 miles from OUHSC, Rent: $490/mo. + 1/2 of utilities
(I usually bike to class, so it's nice to not pay tons of $$ for gas)

Move-in date is flexible, 1 year lease preferred

Email [email protected] for those interested

I'm looking for the elusive list of textbooks. If anyone finds it for the next fall please send me a message.

I've spent way too much on undergrad textbooks. I'm going to figure out how to get them cheaper however the bookstore has not gotten the list.

Also can you believe its only two months from school starting. I definitely want time to move slower and faster at the same time :confused:

:boom:

that's my head after the first test

In terms of curriculum I'll be looking forward to seeing some USMLE Step 1 results for the guinea pigs.

I'm going to go ahead and place bets that the curriculum change will have minimal to no impact on step 1 scores.

Agreed. Step scores are more about the individual than the program in my not-so humble opinion. USMLEworld and a few choice books can get you where you need to be regardless of curriculum.

I'm looking for the elusive list of textbooks. If anyone finds it for the next fall please send me a message.

When they send out the list (I think we got one during orientation), run it by a current student or two before you rush out and buy anything. You don't need some of the books on it, and you really really want some books that aren't.

Members don't see this ad :)
When they send out the list (I think we got one during orientation), run it by a current student or two before you rush out and buy anything. You don't need some of the books on it, and you really really want some books that aren't.

Definitely don't buy books now and the bookstore is way overpriced. Amazon is much cheaper. I bought four "required textbooks" all year and only used one. Most of the hard copy books I used were board review books.

In regards to the curriculum change what I've read so far is that a traditional curriculum actually focuses on the subjects like pathology that are emphasized on the usmle during the second year.

If we learn the pathology of an organ system early in year 1 does that impact how someone would prep for the boards during the second year?

If we learn the pathology of an organ system early in year 1 does that impact how someone would prep for the boards during the second year?

Nope...a question bank plus a few choice review texts is how to approach Step 1. Granted the systems you study at the end of the first two years will be more fresh. I would actually glance over Goljan path during first year so I made my own integrated curriculum.

Unsolicited review book advice:

Biochem - Goljan's RR biochem or Kaplan. I had both and each had its strengths. Biochem was a weak subject for me though.

Cell Bio - the infamous 1st edition of High Yield (later editions became bloated) if you can find it...if not no biggie

Phys: BRS Phys

Pathology: must have Goljan RR. supplement with BRS

Anatomy and Embryo: sections in 1st aide

Pharm: no specific book...q banks get you the gist of these questions

Bugs: Micro Made Rediculously Simple (best book ever)

First Aid of course for an overall review book.

Others would have a different book list, but mine's the best. ;)

For step 2CK: UsmleWorld questions plus Kaplan's QBook (plus busting your tail during 3rd yr) and a single read through Crush Step 2 or Step 2 Secrets (same book author, different format) I actually didn't study much for CK. Maybe half of those questions in my weak areas and a two day read through crush and I netted a 3 pt increase over my Step 1.

Step 2CS: just go take it, it's a joke

Step 3: I'll let you know. You know the old adage: study 2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, and just bring a number 2 pencil for Step 3. (loses some of its luster with computer testing)

Cell Bio - the infamous 1st edition of High Yield (later editions became bloated) if you can find it...if not no biggie

Do you still have your copy, or do you know someone willing to part with theirs (sell it)?

BTW how do people selectively quote on this forum?

Do you still have your copy, or do you know someone willing to part with theirs (sell it)?

I actually gifted all my books (other than Goljan path and BRS phys) to a guy a year behind me on the condition that he do the same in return in a pay it forward kind of way. So maybe you'll be the lucky recipient...

BTW how do people selectively quote on this forum?

Like that?

Hello everyone,
I will be starting at the college of medicine this August and am looking around for a housemate!

A little bit about me:
Out of state
A.B. Mount Holyoke College
Interested in University Village apartments- no car
Acceptable rent per person per month not more that $600

If anyone's interested please email me at [email protected] and we can talk further.
Thank you
p.s. if this is not the appropriate place for posting housemate requests, please re-direct me :)

Hello everyone,
I will be starting at the college of medicine this August and am looking around for a housemate!

A little bit about me:
Out of state
A.B. Mount Holyoke College
Interested in University Village apartments- no car
Acceptable rent per person per month not more that $600

If anyone's interested please email me at [email protected] and we can talk further.
Thank you
p.s. if this is not the appropriate place for posting housemate requests, please re-direct me :)

You might also post in the University of Oklahoma application thread 2010-2011

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728378&page=9

And the facebook page

which I think is "University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2015" I would provide a link but facebook is banned where I am.

Also Jim Albertson (student affairs) you might email him, I remember there was some emails about submitting roomate request information to him.

I just got a vaccine. Not too pleased about the soreness.+pity+

Thankfully I found record of my vaccines otherwise I would've been poked even more.

Is anyone doing the summer institute? Deadlines coming soon and I want to do it but I chose OKC over Tulsa and I think the recent offer to come and view the summer institute is for those who applied to OKC only with a chance to interview for the Tulsa track.

Last edited:
Hey MDimski, did you find a roomate? that house looks pretty cool, I would love to do it, but I'm broke, lazy roomate more broke than lazy.

I don't know if you tried to submit your stuff through student affairs. I've seen some emails for housing information.

Yes, actually this week someone got in touch with me about my house!

Hey all,
I am looking for a housemate! I have a townhouse apartment in the University Village apartments and am looking for someone to live with. I will not have a car right when school starts so I need to live close to campus. I have also posted on the facebook group for our class.

If anyone's interested, please get in touch! Email is [email protected]
Thank you!

Hey all,
I am looking for a housemate! I have a townhouse apartment in the University Village apartments and am looking for someone to live with. I will not have a car right when school starts so I need to live close to campus. I have also posted on the facebook group for our class.

If anyone's interested, please get in touch! Email is [email protected]
Thank you!

wow, you're so lucky. When I was looking, that place (University Village) had like a 1 year waiting list. I'm living in an apartment with two other roommates about a 10 min. drive from campus (local, no highways) in Midwest City. Did they tell you how much utilities are or what utilities are covered?