Books for Neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason952

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
I am sharing books with some kids in my class. So, all I have to buy for the group are the neuro books. What is good for reference on the wards and for the shelf test? Also, What is best for step 2: crashing, crush, or first aid step 2?
Thanks

Jason

I SURE WISH THE SEARCH WORKED......

Members don't see this ad.

My personal favorite neurobook is Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridulously Simple. Short, sharp, to the point, and (except for the chapter on the brainstem) easy to understand.

Other than that, I think the best way to learn neuro is to find books that have a lot of clinical synarios with questions and good, detailed answers. Most neuro things happen in patterns, and the best way to learn the patterns is to solve clinical problems.

now that the search does work, I still am looking for info on the neuro shelf test, I have it friday. Any tips??

Jason

Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma notes and Pretest is a nice combination. Pretest is the way to go if you are pinched for time though. It is one of the harder tests, probably only second to surgery

Hey,
Is Blueprints Neurology good enough for the shelf? I know Clinical Neurology by Greenberg (Lange series) has gotten good reviews also, but our school's Neuro rotation is rather short. Any thoughts? Thanks!

BP is great for neurology but don't stop there if you have time. Know everything in bp and move to doing questions. What year is your camry? I'm becomming a bit of a toyota fan myself. These things are indestructible. :)

Thanks for the advice phoenixsupra! I was thinking of using Pretest along with Blueprints, hopefully that will be enough.

I have a 1990 Camry with 253,000 miles on it. Still runs like clockwork though, it's awesome!

No problem. 250,000 in 14 years is impressive. I've got an '83 supra that's just coming up to the quarter million mark. I've rebuilt the engine but the only things that needed replacement were seals and gaskets. Still runs strong and smooth. Amazing. :)

i was wondering if high yield neuroanatomy is worth holding on to for the neuro rotation/shelf. Any thoughts? otherwise im selling it on ebay.

Hold on to HY Neuro. I think it's the only HY book I'd keep.

bump...we need a book list for neuro shelf.

I looked around for a topic on the neurology shelf and I didn't find one, so if i missed it like an idiot and am double posting, i apologize.

Anyway....I'd like to know what books people used for this shelf, and any feedback on the exam itself.

thanks

There actually was one, but it was about how hard it was, not how to study for it. I personally liked using case-based vignette books and Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple or whatever that book was called. Hopefully, someone will have a good suggestion for a review book...

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the neuro shelf last month, and I did really well on it, >90%. The test itself was kind of hard, but not unmanageable, but it was different from any of the basic science shelf tests I've taken(this was my first clinical shelf exam). All of the question stems were REALLY long, significantly more than prior tests I've taken. The thing most stressed on the exam was management of disorders, and mosly it focused on the more common disorders, there were a few q's about those crazy-ass disorders that like three people have, but far fewer than I had feared. A good chunk of the questions gave you the diagnosis, or came pretty damn close to doing so, and a lot of them also gave you the initial step in the management, and then asked you about the next thing to do, so you really need to know about long term care. The one thing I really could have done without was the questions with A-Q answer choices (but there weren't tooo many of those).

I used blueprints neurology and neurology pretest, with some referencing of UpToDate when the explaination in pretest made no sense at all. I didn't think that there was hardly anything on the test that wasn't covered between those two books.

I just took the neurology shelf 3 hours ago. I used Kaplan USMLE STEP2CK Internal Medicine, subsection in Neurology, corresponding videos, Blueprints, and about half of pre-test. If I had to do it over again, I would have canned blueprints, studied the Kaplan material, FA for Boards and Wards, B & W, and spent more time on Pre-Test--reading the explanations for both correct and incorrect answers.
I felt like I had to finish reading Blueprints just because it was something I had started, knowing fully well that Pre-Test was where the $ was at. This was my first shelf exam, and we had to work 6 days a week with very little energy/time left to sit down and study.

Conclusion: stick with the best resources (as determined by researching studentdoctor.net and amazon.com) and forget about what other people at your school are doing. Neurology was one of those subjects with very little in the way of resources that could be realistically studied over and over again, save for Kaplan, FA, B&W, and Pre-Test.

I hope this helps someone.

I'll be starting neuro in 2 weeks and I'm wondering what books to order. There doesn't seem to be much info on this rotation here in the forum. Can a few other people mention the books they used and which ones were the most helpful? Thanks!

seansoutherland said:
I just took the neurology shelf 3 hours ago. I used Kaplan USMLE STEP2CK Internal Medicine, subsection in Neurology, corresponding videos, Blueprints, and about half of pre-test. If I had to do it over again, I would have canned blueprints, studied the Kaplan material, FA for Boards and Wards, B & W, and spent more time on Pre-Test--reading the explanations for both correct and incorrect answers.
I felt like I had to finish reading Blueprints just because it was something I had started, knowing fully well that Pre-Test was where the $ was at. This was my first shelf exam, and we had to work 6 days a week with very little energy/time left to sit down and study.

Conclusion: stick with the best resources (as determined by researching studentdoctor.net and amazon.com) and forget about what other people at your school are doing. Neurology was one of those subjects with very little in the way of resources that could be realistically studied over and over again, save for Kaplan, FA, B&W, and Pre-Test.

I hope this helps someone.
lemme axe you dis. ill be taking step 2CK w/o having taken neuro (neuro's my last rotation before graduation ... that way i dont need to take the shelf :D). do you think pretest is valuable without a clinical foundation or otherwise thorough prep? or is going through the pretest answers sufficient knowledge to shore up what neuro you find on step 2?

Peep this, sucka yo:

Pretest contained a variety of useful information that skipped a lot of the convoluted b.s. that Blueprints had to offer. Step 2ck might be another ball of wax, as I have read that USMLEWORLD is the go-to resource on countless ocassions.
I am a 3rd year, and neuro was my first rotation. I don't take step2ck until next year. As such, I can only comment on the shelf exam; although I did think of using usmleworld to study for it while knocking out usmle preparation simultaneously. I e-mailed a representative recently about the number of step2ck questions pertaining to neurology, and he/she/it indicated the presence of about 100 questions. Spending over $90 for one month of access to 100 questions? Naw, I'll just wait until the first part of Internal Medicine is over.

To get to the point, Pre-test is "da bomb" for straightforwardness, but Blueprints has some extra shizzles that one might enjoy reading if genuinely interested in details relevant to neurology. If pressed for time, reading the explanations with or without doing the questions would seem beneficial.
However, Kaplan Internal Medicine for Step2ck has a 12-page section on Neurology that didn't have EVERYTHING for the shelf, but what it did contain was high yield. I can remember specific questions on the shelf that I got right because of the kaplan videos and accompanying text that pretty much follows everything Mr. Homeslice instructor guy says . Since the word on the street is that step2ck is less detailed than the shelf exams, one may arrive at the supposition that blueprints would be overkill for step2ck, but not necessarily for the shelf--especially if you like thinking about the difference in posturing in a patient with decerebrate versus decorticate lesions, all of the many different types of muscular dystrophies, the EEG readings for various seizures, details, details, details. In an ideal world, one would be able to learn them all. Realistically, however, Pre-Test, Kaplan, UW, +- FA, +- Step Up, +- Boards and Wards would probably do the trick.

Since my step 1 neuroscience studying immediately preceded my first neuro rotation, I found that remembering Neuroanatomy helped me to rock pimping questions and figure out the locations of lesions. I was suprised at the amount of Rhemuatology included in Neurology, especially subjects like Myasthenia gravis, Guillaine-Barre, polymyositis, Limb-Girdle Muscular dystrophy, etc. Pre-Test covers all of them, however, and Kaplan addresses them in its Rheumatology section of Internal Medicine for Step 2CK. I could have probably done just as well--if not even better--if I didn't have to show up at 6 a.m. ever morning and could just study Neurology out of a book. In other words, I don't think I would have needed to have gone through the rotation to understand anything in any of the resources I encountered, since much of it is conceptually related to the neurological + cardiovascular systems and symptomatically related to the physical exams pertaining thereof.

Word up.

uclacrewdude said:
lemme axe you dis. ill be taking step 2CK w/o having taken neuro (neuro's my last rotation before graduation ... that way i dont need to take the shelf :D). do you think pretest is valuable without a clinical foundation or otherwise thorough prep? or is going through the pretest answers sufficient knowledge to shore up what neuro you find on step 2?

Getting ready for the neuro shelf really soon and wondering if there are any high yield subjects that seem to come up. I know there are similar threads for the psych shelf (which was really helpful!) and others that I have yet to take, but none for neuro.

Thanks for your help!

Anybody have suggestions for a good neuro book for the clerkship...need a quick and easy review for the shelf exam. thanks

Moving to Clerkships for folks who are currently doing clerkships to answer.

I'm gonna be starting neurology in the upcoming month, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any review books that are a bit more comprehensive...

for example, I thought that the high yield neuro was pretty bad, and I just bought Essentials of Neurology... which is way too essential...

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Happy New Year to all! :)

What Books And Qbooks Do You Recommend??? Thanks In Advance!

I can tell you what I used...

Pre-Test Neurology

Blueprints Clinical Cases in Neurology (irritating b/c of the excessive typos)

Boards and Wards (short neuro section) and First Aid for the Wards (short neuro section)

I got 80% (correct? percentile? My school doesn't really tell us much), which is significantly less than I've gotten on other shelf exams, and I found the test to be pretty difficult, but then, I hate neuro, so there you go.

I scored >90th percentile, I'm going into Neuro & ALL you need to read are:

1. Blueprints Neurology
2. Pretest Neuro
3. Short section on Neuro in Boards & Wards is also very useful

You should not find anything you can't answer if you study from these books. I can't imagine how HY Neuro or any of the other would help for the basics covered on the shelf. As long as you learn about your patients and read these books...there is no reason you shouldn't honor the shelf! Best of Luck!

I agree with Jennifer. I did very well on the neuro shelf using only Blueprints and Pretest. Don't be scared if you walk out of the exam feeling like you failed. It was a very hard exam, but most people I know (myself included) did much better than they thought.

Took the shelf recently. Found it not too bad actually. And yay for me since I finished the test on time.

Surprisingly all you need is Case files. So far in third year, I've found CF to be excellent for OB/Gyn and this one.

On another note: I struggled on Psych, my first shelf, and ended up doing all right but couldn't finish the test (I am a painfully slow reader). I just haul ass on shelves now. Has worked well. Even though this doesn't matter much now, I reiterate that these shelf exams have taught me to read faster and comprehend quicker to just even make it. I WISH i had this experience going into step 1. Again, schools like Baylor and Duke have it nice. But I digress.

so - do CF + pretest or usmleworld + Read fast = golden. I guess working hard on ward helps alot too (however its only a 2.5 wk rotation for me)

Gluck.

any new insight from recent neuro shelf takers? gracias.

Bumping to request more feedback as well :) Neuro will be my first rotation, yikes!

A friend is going to give me Case Files, and fortunately we've got access to the previous edition of Pretest via the library. Sound adequate?