Neuroradiology textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Methyldopa

Pharmacopoeia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a basic neuroradiology book (a ver introductory text!)? Along the lines of Neuroradiology for Dummies.

Members don't see this ad.

These are supposed to be very good:

Neuroradiology: The Requisites (Requisites in Radiology)
by Robert I. Grossman and David M. Yousem

Osborn's Pocket Radiologist: Brain Imaging

I have Neuroradiology: The Requisites, ISBN: 032300508X. It's excellent, I enjoy reading it. It makes it simple, but isn't a small book. I enjoy the authors humour. Some people might disagree with the humour, but I doubt anyone would disagree with the scientific/clinical quality of the text.:)

Another book, I'm going to buy (with some hospital grant money, after the match when I get some liquidity back) is Diagnostic imaging: Brain by Osborne isbn: 0721629059. I've flicked through it a few times and read some bits (one of the neurology residents has it). It's arranged in point form, but is of high quality. The quality of the images is superb, even better images than the requesites! Again this is a big book.

The requesits' authors talk you through it, Osborne's book gives you da facts & summaries with tables & DDx. (ok that's a bit of a generalisation, both books do both those things, but that's just the feeling I get from them).

Personally, I'm happy with the requesits & would buy it again, but I have to have them both. I have to read more of the requisites first though, I don't like juggling two books in the same subject:D

-------------
I like big books, but one at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The older version of Osborn's book "Diagnostic Neuroradiology" ISBN 0-8016-7486-7 is also excellent. Excellent images and diagrams as appropriate and not as bullet-oriented as Diagnostic Imaging:Brain. It is very readable unlike Requisites which I find too wordy. All but Requisites are expensive books ($250+).

The OP asked for an introductory and simple book. The requisites (~900 pages), or Osborn's diagnostic Imaging: Brain (~900 pages), or Osborne's Diagnostic radiology (>500 pages and 12 years old) are certainly not what the OP has in mind.

Introductory books include Osborn: Pocket Radiologist:Brain and Pocket Radiologist:Spine, or Pocket Neurosurgeon (PDA version). Another great and fast read book is Neuroradiology Companion by Mauricio Castillo. Also neuroradiology chapters in a general introductory radiology textbook, such as Brant and Helm's would also work. A recent edition of Radiologic Clinic of North America is also titled "Essentials of Neuroimaging" which goes thorugh the essentials.

The OP asked for an introductory and simple book. The requisites (~900 pages), or Osborn's diagnostic Imaging: Brain (~900 pages), or Osborne's Diagnostic radiology (>500 pages and 12 years old) are certainly not what the OP has in mind.

YUP, you're right :)

Another thing I found useful is a supplement on neuroradiology published in 2005 in JNNP. It comes at it from a UK prespective and is aimed at neurology trainees/refresher for neurologists. I think it's free because its >1 year old.

http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/content/vol76/suppl_3/

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it might be worth while.

Introductory books include Osborn: Pocket Radiologist:Brain and Pocket Radiologist:Spine, or Pocket Neurosurgeon (PDA version). Another great and fast read book is Neuroradiology Companion by Mauricio Castillo. Also neuroradiology chapters in a general introductory radiology textbook, such as Brant and Helm's would also work. A recent edition of Radiologic Clinic of North America is also titled "Essentials of Neuroimaging" which goes thorugh the essentials.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. You're exactly right Docxter I'm looking for an intro before I delve into the deeper subject. I checked out The requisites and that was too intense! I'll check out your suggestions.

looking for further suggestions on a good introductory neuroradiology textbook, specifically one that explains the different MR sequences and what they're used for, how they work etc before delving into the pathology.

looking for further suggestions on a good introductory neuroradiology textbook, specifically one that explains the different MR sequences and what they're used for, how they work etc before delving into the pathology.

For background reading, I recommend starting with a web site, Radiopaedia, which is a radiology wiki. It does a good job of explaining basic MR physics. Then use Requisites Neuroradiology.