Neurology -> Interventional Neuroradiology for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this has been addressed before but I can’t seem to find too much information on it on this website or on the internet.

Is it possible for a DO student to complete this path? I know there are three ways to do this (neurosurgery residency with fellowship, DR with fellowship, or neurology with critical care/stroke fellowship + fellowship). If I was going to follow this path, I’d be interested in the neurology path to this fellowship; I know fellowships have a correlation to where one did their residency.

So, what kind of applicant does one need to be to grab a big time neurology residency out of medical school in order to try and follow this path? Is this competitive? I would think it is, but seemingly no one I know even knows about it. What is the lifestyle? What is the compensation? What is the work like? Is it worth trying to pursue?

Thank you in advance to anyone with any insight into these questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Being a DO has very little bearing on your competitiveness for NIR. I tell you this because two of my past seniors matched very well respected NIR fellowships (one after stroke and the other after NCC), and both of them are IMG/FMG.

From what I was told, research is the most important factor. Therefore doing your residency at a place that provides such opportunities is important. The one who matched NIR from stroke did A two-year stroke fellowship that includes a research year. However he matched NIR prior to starting his stroke fellowship, so this tells me his research in residency was most important.

Reactions: 1 user
Being a DO has very little bearing on your competitiveness for NIR. I tell you this because two of my past seniors matched very well respected NIR fellowships (one after stroke and the other after NCC), and both of them are IMG/FMG.

From what I was told, research is the most important factor. Therefore doing your residency at a place that provides such opportunities is important. The one who matched NIR from stroke did A two-year stroke fellowship that includes a research year. However he matched NIR prior to starting his stroke fellowship, so this tells me his research in residency was most important.
Awesome, thank you! Just checking, NIR is the specialty that does CT angiograms of the arteries in the brain and vertebrals along with doing coils, clips, manage AVMs, strokes, carotid-cavernous fistulas, etc?

Do you know anything else about the specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thank you! Just checking, NIR is the specialty that does CT angiograms of the arteries in the brain and vertebrals along with doing coils, clips, manage AVMs, strokes, carotid-cavernous fistulas, etc?

Do you know anything else about the specialty?
That pretty much it...plus a crappy lifestyle.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello, sorry if this has been addressed before but I can’t seem to find too much information on it on this website or on the internet.

Is it possible for a DO student to complete this path? I know there are three ways to do this (neurosurgery residency with fellowship, DR with fellowship, or neurology with critical care/stroke fellowship + fellowship). If I was going to follow this path, I’d be interested in the neurology path to this fellowship; I know fellowships have a correlation to where one did their residency.

So, what kind of applicant does one need to be to grab a big time neurology residency out of medical school in order to try and follow this path? Is this competitive? I would think it is, but seemingly no one I know even knows about it. What is the lifestyle? What is the compensation? What is the work like? Is it worth trying to pursue?

Thank you in advance to anyone with any insight into these questions!

Its definitely a long path (4+3 years) and competitive, but once you get into an above average university program for neuro residency and do some research and find a mentor, you have a good shot of getting in.
Lifestyle is crappy as expected, you basically have to be ready to get up in the middle of the night and get ready to do a procedure within 30 minutes or so. Can't go to a party or dinner or travel more than 30 minutes from the hospital when on call. Most places have one or two NIR people, rarely 3 or 4, so you end up being on call 15 days a month. In addition, you will also be doing regular stroke rounds etc. In fact, one of my friends trained in NIR but stopped practicing that because of lifestyle and now just does stroke and gen neuro.

Salary is variable, but 500k-700k is very reasonable. I have seen lower and higher.

Overall its definitely worth pursuing if you like this type of work/life. There is a certain happiness in doing acute procedures and potentially curing serious illnesses. We definitely need more and more neurologists in this field and there is big shortage.

Reactions: 2 users