COMLEX-->USMLE score conversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoodyHoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a research study done on some students from Kirksville and someone came up with a calculation to estimate what you would likely get on the USMLE.

I think it's this: 0.24 X COMLEXscore + 69

don't remember if this is exact but it's something like this. so essentially it's saying average on the COMLEX is way below average on the USMLE. Do realize this is in only one population of students at one school however.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but...

Predicted USMLE Step 1 = 67.97 + 0.24 X COMLEX-USA Level 1 (R2=0.68)

This was based on 155 osteopathic students at Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine that took both USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX-USA Level 1. It would be interesting to see the same analysis done for all osteopathic students that took both.

I thought the study was worthless - such a non-random, small sample, and such a subject that is wildly variable. It under-predicted my USMLE score by 8 points incidentally, but even if it predicted it exactly, I'd say it's BS.

It underestimated my usmle step1 by 5 points.

BTW it underestimates my usmle2 by 22 points. (I know it wasn't calculated for step2 though.)

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a post over in the DO forum (under journal section on top) on it if you want to read it.

but basically

USMLE 1 = 67.97 + 0.24 x comlex 1 (r^2 = 0.68)

USMLE 2 = 102.2 + 0.18 x comlex 2 (r^2 = 0.46)

this formula underpredicts my actual usmle 1 score by more than 15 points (and I took the usmle the day after comlex)

FWIW, It underestimated my USMLE Step1 by 6 points but was within the SEM (6).

Ric

the formula exactly predicted my usmle score (within 0.25 points). i'm sold.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention that this formula underpredicted my USMLE score by 29 points. Just wanted to say that, because I and a few others saw this thread and were all nervous after receiving our COMLEX scores. I do think I underperformed somewhat on the COMLEX, though.

Not to sound like a dick, but the USMLE is open to osteopathic students. If you want to know how you'd do, it just seems logical to take the allopathic exam.

So the Comlex average (~500) converts to a 189 (1 point above passing)? That doesn't seem right . . . :confused:

agreed... i don't think this is very accurate , under predicted my actual score by >20 pts. def not a good formula if programs are using it to estimate how a student would have done on USMLE