O.R. Junkies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So not good

This is, sadly, not that uncommon. We talked abt a few cases in my med ethics class where surgeons were using coke to get through their long surgeries and caught by other surgeons in the locker room.

...I thought this thread was abt people addicted to observing surgeries when I first looked.
 
Not good 'cause the facts aren't good.

Admittedly, the anesthesiologist has the "keys to the candy store". And they have problems with addiction. But so do other docs.

The article presented a bunch of sewn-together facts that are sensationalist at best, and lies at worst. One part states that anesthesiologists are "inhaling fentanyl all day". There is no inhaled form of fentanyl used in human operations. Other parts of the article take old quotes from a big name doc, and use them out of context.

The American Society of Anesthesiologists has written a letter to Men's Health pointing out the article's problems. The thing the article did well was to point out how skeptical we must be when reviewing mass media medical "news".

dc
 
The internet here is a little clunky but I read the same article in Men's Health (kinda surprised it's free on MSN...dang it).

Moreover, real life bears it out too...two Anesthesiologists recently OD'ed and died where my mother works. *sigh*

Anyways, I'd imagine that even if Fentanyl isn't used in vapor form, other things are and they'd still trigger a predisposition to abusing drugs.

So...if you have lots of people in your family with a history of substance abuse I'd stay away from Anesthesiology.