Any biochem pros/junkies can help me out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necr0sis713

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

In my cell bio class we have an extra credit assignment which is quite simple and straightforward. I asked my professor before the due date whether I got the answer right and he told me I was wrong, so I have until Monday to turn it in.

The question is: Where does the CO2 come from in the krebbs cycle OTHER THAN WATER. Also, my book says it's not from O2 taken in from respiration. I thought it was from the carboxyl groups on citrate, but he said it was wrong.

Any ideas?
 
400px-Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg.png


There are two steps here that yield CO2. Isocitrate --> alpha-Ketoglutarate and alpha-Ketoglutarate --> Succinyl-CoA.

Wait.... did I just help you with homework? Isn't that illegal on SDN?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first CO2 that is released via isocitrate dehydrogenase comes from the actetyl-CoA attached in the first step. The carbon does not come from citrate.
 
Where does the O in CO2 come from? I'm not sure I understand this question. Those are both decarboxylations, so they're all coming from carboxyl groups.
 
400px-Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg.png


There are two steps here that yield CO2. Isocitrate --> alpha-Ketoglutarate and alpha-Ketoglutarate --> Succinyl-CoA.

Wait.... did I just help you with homework? Isn't that illegal on SDN?
OP said the assignment already passed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.