Amcas transcript nightmare.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oshoedr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On August 15th I sent off transcript request forms to the two colleges I've attended. I waited patiently and waited some more and at the end of August nothing had been recieved so I called both schools neither had recieved the request forms.

So, I go in person to both schools and personally sign transcript request forms, one to aacomas and one to amcas. My aacomas transcripts get in fine and that whole application is done. My amcas transcripts are recieved on october 3rd and I have the standard waiting to be reviewed message.

Which brings me to last wednessday november 16th, amcas finally reviews my application. One of my colleges sent a letter of enrollment instead of an official transcripts. So my application is incomplete and the deadline for all my med schools is october 15th.

So I run around trying to figure out what happened. My college doesn't want to take responsibility for it and says "we don't send out letters of enrollment" and they said I only signed a transcript request for aacomas and not amcas, which is bs because i signed them both at the same time.

So I call my medical schools and explain the situation and they extend my transcript deadline and I overnight my official transcript to amcas. It was recieved by the post office on friday the 17 at 11:00 am and here it is monday night and amcas has not picked up my transcripts from the post office.

To throw another possible wrench into this mess, the package has to be signed for. Does anybody know if amcas signs for packages and how often they pick up their mail?

I would assume yes and daily but that does not seem to be the case.

Moral of the story: get things sent in early, I know i'm preaching to the anal retentive choir here though.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that blows. If there was a way we could put your post up for every single person who ever comes across this site to see, I would do it in a New York minute. Prime example of why you need your transcripts in fast, and to keep checking with schools on completion status.

And it's interesting to note that in most if not all of these transcript horror threads I read, the undergrad schools are always quick to deny mistakes on their part.

I've had three or four friends here at JHU with problems with both the registrar and the advising office, and both are quick to deny responsibility. But my question is why?!?!? Wouldn't they be better off helping the student in trouble?

The sad thing is, that most schools could probably care less about the fate of one student. They've got more important things to worry about, like how to rape current and prospective students out of even more money :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news transcripts have been recieved by amcas and i'm praying everything is fine this time.

Good news transcripts have been recieved by amcas and i'm praying everything is fine this time.

That is good news. Hopefully everything works out. To echo the sentiment of others, never assume other parties will handle their business. You've got to be on the ball with transcripts and LORs, anything not in your control you've got to stay updated on.

Your colleges suck. No offense, but they suck and they suck hard.

I was annoyed enough as it is that SUNY Stony Brook charges people for transcripts, but they sent mine ASAP once I faxed in the request and AMCAS got it almost right away. My own university gives really nice looking free transcripts but it took them a bit longer (although I didn't pay for express service with them so it's all fair).

Anyways, I know at some public colleges paperwork goes at the speed of snails, so I guess I should be pretty thankful that SUNY Stony Brook actually processes fairly quickly if you pay for express service.

One of my buddies works in my undergrad's registration services. The usual wait in my school just to have official transcripts printed and sent out is at least 2-3 weeks. I talked to him beforehand, and he had it all fast-tracked. He made sure my transcript request did not fall through the cracks.

More bad news they've pushed my amcas to the back of the line so there's another 4-6 week waiting period before my med schools get my amcas which means all interviews will be given out. It just was not ment to be looks like DO for me.

I know my school sucks i'm really upset with them. The worst part is they won't even admit fault.

Can you talk to AMCAS and bring up their responsibility in the matter? I think someone on here once had the wrong transcript sent (different student with similar name). If memory serves, I think he basically said to AMCAS, "you're the one who acknowledged that my transcript was received, so if it was the wrong one, you shouldn't have acknowledged it, why am I paying for the mistake by having to wait in line again." I don't know if he got successfully moved back up, but you could try speaking to AMCAS.