Q about courses/AP credit which aren't on transcript for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonite7

Reaction score
Hello,
I took some gen science courses in freshman year which I had AP credit for. I know that you are supposed to list them on the AMCAS application as repeats and then also add the corresponding AP course. However, my college official transcript doesn't list any specific AP credit on my transcript. It just has one sum entry "Test credits: X".
I was also told not to add anything to the application that's not on the official transcript, so I'm confused about what to do. Should I list the AP credits anyway? Or should I omit them and just select repeat for the college courses? Thanks for advice if anyone had a similar situation before.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I took some gen science courses in freshman year which I had AP credit for. I know that you are supposed to list them on the AMCAS application as repeats and then also add the corresponding AP course. However, my college official transcript doesn't list any specific AP credit on my transcript. It just has one sum entry "Test credits: X".
I was also told not to add anything to the application that's not on the official transcript, so I'm confused about what to do. Should I list the AP credits anyway? Or should I omit them and just select repeat for the college courses? Thanks for advice if anyone had a similar situation before.
Your college courses are not technically a repeat of those AP credits.

If you are not depending on those AP credits to fulfill the prerequisites for your hard science or math courses, you can let it ride and enter them as a lump sum of AP credits on AMCAS.

If, however, you were banking on using the AP credits to not have to take certain prerequisite courses in college, you will need your registrar to break down the AP credits in terms of which academic department they belong in (BIO, CHEM, HIST, ENGL etc.)

See a detailed explanation on pages 36 and 37 of the AMCAS Guide

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! That section of the guide answered my question. I took all my med school prerequisites in college, so that won't be necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reading the applicant guide where it says "If you have a significant number of AP or college-level coursework credits before entering college, you may list your entire first college year as FR status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the guideline of 0 through 35 semester hours for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college.
I entered with 86 AP credits, which means that I technically finished my freshman year with 124 credits. Does this mean that I should enter all of the courses over the next 3 years as "senior (SR)" courses? That seems to be what the guide is saying, but I wasn't clear if it meant that I just ignore the portion of hours coming from the AP courses.

Also, can I omit listing AP credits which I don't need and don't appear on my transcript aside from the "Test credits: X" line? Most of the 86 credits are useless ones like history which I didn't need for my degree and aren't prerequisites either.

I am merging your threads on AP credit to consolidate them.

Don't get fancy skipping to your senior year. Just follow the traditional approach of using each academic year.

Thanks.
I didn't realize that that section was in reference to people who attended part-time.