Bad kitty - behavioural question for vets (litterbox)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProZackMI

Psychiatrist/Attorney
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, there, I have a "serious" problem with my kitty and need some professional advice from some of the vets here on SDN. Especially, a vet who is knowledgeable in feline behavioural issues.

First, let me briefly give the hx of the problem by highlighting the pertinent facts.

1) I have a 4-year-old female Tigercat, short-haired, cat who is a primary cat; no other pets. I live in a townhouse. She has no medical problems and no h/o of behavioural problems. In short, a healthy well-adjusted, well-behaved kitty.

2) From the beginning, I have had a Littermaid litterbox. She has used this automatic litterbox her entire life without problem.

3) In early October, the Littermaid died, much to my (and her) chagrin. I bought a new box. I upgraded and bought the higher-end model Littermaid. Miss Fussy didn't like this box, for some reason, so she proceeded to use my bed as her personal latrine (urine and feces). I had introduced her to the new box in a non-stressing way, giving her praise and all that, but still, she defiled my bed. I put the poo in the litterbox to create a bathroom scent for her, but to no avail. She repeated the vengeful retaliation of going in my bed. <sigh>. She also defiled the guest bed (in the litterbox room) once.

4) I broke down and exchanged the higher-end Littermaid for a base model (exactly like she was used to). In the interim, I used a standard box, which she used. Within a few days, she used the base Littermaid and adapted without difficulty. I kept her out of my bedroom for a few weeks and then eventually allowed her back in without incident.

5) My friend recently moved out of state and asked me to watch his cat, who has interacted with mine before, until spring. The two cats have been together for about 3 weeks now without incident. They have been together for extended periods in the past without problem. No soiling, no behavioural problems, nothing. It takes a few days for them to remember each other, but they get along well once they become familiar. Three weeks so far, no problems.

6) Sunday, my new Littermaid, for reasons unknown to me, died. I bought an exact copy (base model) and quietly replaced the dead box with the new box. I put the litter from the old box into the new one to keep the scent. I made no fuss or comment. Guess what? Miss Kitty once again soiled my bed by making # 2. She did so on the guest bed too. I cleaned up the offending mess as best as possible and now am left with a dilemma. This cannot continue; it's driving me insane (short trip).

I have not noticed any sx's suggesting a medical problem, but I did notice what appeared to be a trace amount of blood around the feces, which was rather unsolid, but not diarrhea. No change in her eating or behaviour that I have noticed even with the new cat, who has been here for 3 weeks without incident. No swelling around the anus. No obvious anal bleeding. Both cats are female and neutered. No h/o of roundworms. No itching or rubbing of the anal area other than normal grooming. She has no hx of UTIs or stones. She drinks a fair amount of water; the water is always fresh and clean. No dietary changes either. Both cats are in great health.

Like I said, no changes in her behaviour or health that I have noticed. No changes in the environment except for the litterbox. She doesn't appear to be going to the bathroom anywhere else, except my bed or the guest bed.

The soiling only started after I replaced the litterbox. The new box does not make any strange noises and the other cat uses it without exception. It's my cat (not the other cat) and she's refusing to use the new box.

Any ideas about what's going on? What can I do? I'm going crazy here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Zack (an MD psychiatrist who's provisional Dx is oppositional defiant disorder)!

Members don't see this ad.

Once again, SDN is NOT for veterinary advice, including behavioral issues.

Once again, SDN is NOT for veterinary advice, including behavioral issues.

wow. good for you miss rule book. Bravo.

Now for some useful advice... OP - you need to make an appointment with your vet. If he/she is ill-equipped to answer your questions, they may be able to refer you to an animal behaviorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.