Temple vs. Thomas Jeff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CueDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviews scheduled at both places but need to eliminate one because they are a week apart and I am not flying to philly twice. Any opinions? i am not looking for a "cancel X because it sucks", i am looking for unbiased opinions/facts of the two programs. Thanks... in return if anyone would like my predictions for the BCS championship game, i am willing to trade

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take Temple minus the points.

Go with Temple. I'm biased because I did med school there but I think it's the way to go. The faculty is fantastic. Bob McNamara is the chair and he is a past president and on the board of directors for AAEM and a great teacher. David Karras, Rich Harrigan, Nina Gentile and JJ Ufberg are all just excellent. Temple is in a really hard core area of North Philly and you'll see it all. Major penetrating trauma, bad heart disease, drugs, drunks, hookers and lots of them. The program has really matured and is training top notch people. Again, go with Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both places last year and I'm at Temple now. Nothing about Thomas Jefferson really stood out to me and I ranked them pretty far down my list. The thing I really love about my program is the teaching. Pretty much everyone is a great teacher, and they will take a moment to teach you something no matter how crazy the ED gets. Great pathology, lots of penetrating trauma, etc. Residents get along great in and out of the ED.

I have interviews scheduled at both places but need to eliminate one because they are a week apart and I am not flying to philly twice. Any opinions? i am not looking for a "cancel X because it sucks", i am looking for unbiased opinions/facts of the two programs. Thanks... in return if anyone would like my predictions for the BCS championship game, i am willing to trade

Go on to Temple, but shop for an apartment near Jeff!!! :scared:

temple, no questions.

Like, dude!

Totally.

One of the up-and-coming programs.

As someone who interviewed at both programs before and grew up in Philly working at Thomas Jefferson, I recommend going with Temple. Better pathology and more intensive clinical experience and a stronger faculty in my opinion. Bob McNamara is not only the Chair of the EM Dept at Temple, he also serves as Chief Medical Officer for the hospital so the department holds much greater sway within the institution as opposed to TJU where numerous residents and attendings noted having a lot of battles over admits with other services. And Temple's PD, JJ Ufberg is a really laid back guy but seems very intelligent, relatively young and has the residents best interests at heart. Really the type of PD I'd want to have in my corner. But as another poster noted... Live in Center City!

I think that puts Temple up by a touchdown (7-0) and should probably help settle the debate for you.