WVSOM Housing for this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

does anybody have any advice on whats the best route for going and getting housing for this fall? I have the housing list they gave me when i was accepted but how did u guys find roomies, did you go down and look at places, ect?

thanks dave

Members don't see this ad.

I live alone, so I dunno if I could be much help in the finding roomies department.

As far as housing in general is concerned...if you know you are coming here for sure, start looking for a place early.

Hey guys and gals,

does anybody have any advice on whats the best route for going and getting housing for this fall? I have the housing list they gave me when i was accepted but how did u guys find roomies, did you go down and look at places, ect?

thanks dave

The first thing to keep in mind is that people start looking early. With that in mind, it is not unreasonable to start looking through "The List" that you are talking about, as well as to check back for updates (they update pretty regularly).

Here's what I did:

1.) Looked through the housing lists at the time. I crossed-off Ronceverte and White Sulfur Springs. I had in my mind that I wanted to stay within five miles of campus. From what I've heard (and it's just the rumor mill), WSS and Ronceverte are not the ideal locations to pick. Stick with Lewisburg, Fairlea, and the area on the opposite side of the expressway, and you should be very happy with a choice.

2.) Got a subscription to the Ranger, the daily newspaper down here. There are more listings to look at. Plus, it gave me the ability to get a true price range, based on the area.

3.) Kept reviewing updates for anything new.

4.) Arranged in April to visit for three days. I narrowed the list down to 10 properties/apartments. I haven't heard any issues with trailers down here, but they're just not my preference. Contacted landlords, and arranged a schedule of visits to the sites. I stayed at the Brier Inn... good rate, good room, so I had a "command center" to look through the choices at the end of each day.

5.) Narrowed-down the choices, and put a deposit on a place. I'm in a really nice area of Lewisburg, two-floor Cape Cod with basement and wine cellar, two car garage, tool shed, rear patio, and an acre of land.... all for $650/month.

I'm VERY HAPPY with my choice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I hope this helps. If I can be of any more help, just let me know.

~"The Don"

Members don't see this ad :)
Get that housing list and call around. Since I wasn't able to come check out the place myself, the Landlord put me in contact with the student living there (here) at the time. He answered all my questions and even sent me a few pics. If you see any listings for the McGraws, I say jump on them. I'm sure glad I did:D

I just came back from spending a few days in Lewisburg to look for housing. I will be a first year student there this coming fall. From the list I narrowed it down to 6 places and have found a place that is very close to school and not to costly. Now all I need is a roommate! The apartment is all locked up with me so if your looking for a place to live and a roommate, PM me for more details. See you all in the FALL!!!!:)

Hey yeah give me the details on the house and how far you are from wvsom!

dave

When and where did you get "the list". All I got with my acceptance letter was the letter, and nada since.

When and where did you get "the list". All I got with my acceptance letter was the letter, and nada since.

If you go under the Resources for Current Applicants on the website, at the bottom you will find a housing directory.

hey i have a question for you guys.

if you're not absolutely sure you'll be attending WVSOM in the fall, when abouts should you start looking? is may/june too late for a decent place for a good price?

I'm accepted to WVSOM, but i'm waitlisted at certain places and also have interviews coming up.

I remember someone telling me that there are some apartments where cable tv and highspeed internet don't work, is that true? anybody know where?

Well, I'm not sure about the whole lacking of cable/highspeed, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've seen it before. But, if you are not certain as of yet, don't fret. If you decide for sure to come to WVSOM later in the year, there are still places to live. I started looking for my apartment in July, and lucked into one in Woodland Akers, which is within very very very easy walking distance to the school (like, less than half a mile). Now, again, I did get lucky on that find, so I'd start a little earlier than that. I would go with May out of your options that you posted Hex.

If you are looking for housing we are selling or renting our house because we're starting rotations. We have a 3bdrm 2.5 bath split level house about a mile and half from school. The house has a two car garage, nice size kitchen, family room and living room, washer and dryer, and huge fenced in back yard and will consider pets with pet fee. We've listed the house for $155,000 obo. The rental price is 1350 (450 per bdrm) plus utilties. Let me know if your interested and I can send some pics.

If you find in the list apartments by Mark McClung, then that is good (he's a pretty laid back landlord, and very kind).

I'm in one of his apartments, within 3-5 min driving distance (2 miles). It's two bedroom, full bath, descent kitchen, and a nice big living room.

If you're not looking for much, then where I am at is the way to go. I pay about 475 a month (whereas in Long Island, NY, a studio would be about 1100 :mad: ).

Of course, I recommend Woodland Akers and nearby areas if you like to walk to school (downtown, I'm not too sure about). That's something I'm considering, although I feel too lazy to move.

Just one quirk: electricity is not included in the bill, and you have an electric heater and AC. So, you'll end up probably paying approximately 550 a month on average (water, sewage, garbage are included; cable or satellite TV/internet is obviously not included, although I have some friends who room together that includes everything that live a walk away from me).

And if you haven't search, search NOW, if you are sure WVSOM is what you want and what you're getting. This is even more important now than ever, since you'll be the second class with 200 students, which makes availability of the apartments go away fast.

Good luck.

Mina

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to see you on here Mina

I've been looking for places down in Lewisburg for some time now and I've got my name on the list for Woodland Akers. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in being roommates this fall? Private message me if you're interested! :D

They normally don't open that area up until your deposits are in...

~"The Don"

If you find in the list apartments by Mark McClung, then that is good (he's a pretty laid back landlord, and very kind).

I'm in one of his apartments, within 3-5 min driving distance (2 miles). It's two bedroom, full bath, descent kitchen, and a nice big living room.

If you're not looking for much, then where I am at is the way to go. I pay about 475 a month (whereas in Long Island, NY, a studio would be about 1100 :mad: ).

Of course, I recommend Woodland Akers and nearby areas if you like to walk to school (downtown, I'm not too sure about). That's something I'm considering, although I feel too lazy to move.

Just one quirk: electricity is not included in the bill, and you have an electric heater and AC. So, you'll end up probably paying approximately 550 a month on average (water, sewage, garbage are included; cable or satellite TV/internet is obviously not included, although I have some friends who room together that includes everything that live a walk away from me).

And if you haven't search, search NOW, if you are sure WVSOM is what you want and what you're getting. This is even more important now than ever, since you'll be the second class with 200 students, which makes availability of the apartments go away fast.

Good luck.

Mina

Mina, you crazy guy! About time you got on here... we've gotta start planning now for our trip over the summer to dig-up the Stargate! haha... :D

Do any current students have any suggestions about good places that allow pets? I have a chinchilla, and on "the list" most of the places say no pets. Thanks!

Hmm..it seems like this forum has died for the time being. Well, in case anyone out there is still checking it out, is anyone looking for roomies? PM me!

I would suggest living along. I got lucky and live with cool roommate(s), but seeing everyone elses problems, live alone.

Hey all,
I am looking for a roomate. I live in a 4 bedroom house right behind the school. Its walking distance, in a really nice quiet neighborhood. There are lots of WVSOM students nearby. I'm looking for a girl (no boys allowed!) its a really nice house, and there is lots of space. If you're interested then please email me at [email protected]. Thanks and good luck with everything!!

Hey, what's up guys? I've got two rooms for rent in a very nice house here in Lewisburg. My backyard connects to the anatomy parking lot. You'll not find a closer place to the school! Rent is the only cost (500/month). Utilities are free. There's cable, wireless internet, free long distance phone service, washer, dryer, fully furnished kitchen...etc. House is VERY nice and stays quiet. Pets are allowed too. Anyone interested can send me a message on here, or e-mail me at [email protected]. The house has 3 bedrooms....I rent one, and the other two are open. I'm out on rotations, so I'm hardly ever around. Happy home hunting to everyone out there looking.

Hey guys and gals,

thanks dave

I am going to be a first year student at WVSOM this year and I am buying a house. There is a downstairs apartment that I am trying to rent. The rent is 1200 but includes all utilities. The apartment is new and has stainless steel appliances and new carpet. It is about 2 miles from the school. If you are interested you can email me at [email protected] for pictures or information