Opinions on UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seriously1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here. Applying this year, have been reading for a while, and decided finally to post.

Anyone have an opinion on Penn's program?

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am new here. Applying this year, have been reading for a while, and decided finally to post.

Anyone have an opinion on Penn's program?

Thanks! I appreciate it.

They have or at least had a McDonald's in the hospital...kinda sends the wrong message or was an attempt to drum up business.

10 months of surg path :thumbdown:
AP quality v. poor compared to other top 'name' programs
Even PD said, "don't come here if you don't like adapting to change."

Overall :thumbdown:

Like someone said...their CP is great, but a lot of interviewers hinted at the amount of politics involved in the program (mostly CP side). Oh well...

I'll end by describing an encounter with a resident:
Me: If you could do it over again, would you pick UPenn?
Resident: No (as another resident glares at her)

BUT this is just my take because obviously people still go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there in November. At the time the surgical path portion was really up in the air, including the amount of time that new residents would be required to spend on surg path. I got the sense that the residents there were least happy of any program that I visited. However the research opportunities were excellent, program director was nice, and the new resident facilities were nice. In the end, I don't feel excited about all of the unknowns and I've decided not to rank the program.

Like someone said...their CP is great, but a lot of interviewers hinted at the amount of politics involved in the program (mostly CP side). Oh well...

Being strong in CP is a bad thing if you ask me. The ideal program would give you 18 months off and make CP self-study.

for those of us who haven't gone thru this yet, care to explain the self-study for CP comment? is it all just memorization and nothing that you learn by doing?

for those of us who haven't gone thru this yet, care to explain the self-study for CP comment? is it all just memorization and nothing that you learn by doing?

From what I've heard, the CP boards tests all sorts of random stuff. At many places, CP rotations consists of much less actual service time compared to AP and residents on CP rotations spend lots of time preparing inane talks. Sure, preparing talks allows you to understand a focused topic quite well BUT the CP boards tests much much more stuff. Hence, one can venture to say that CP can be best learned (for boards purposes) by simply reading some big CP tome.

Now, this whole concept of "learning by doing" is certainly important. But the problem with this is that what you actually DO involve routine kind of cases. Unfortunately, the boards (AP and CP) don't solely test routine stuff...weird, rare, exotic topics are fair game too.

OK...as for Penn's program, this has been discussed on previous threads, one of which was started by a Penn resident. One issue that affects the workload at Penn is that recently a whole bunch of OR's opened up. That means more operations. That means increased specimen volume. Now, if the # of residents stays constant and the workload dramatically increases, you can imagine what that would do for resident lifestyle and morale during surg path rotations.

^You'll see.