Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royaldragons

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know a site where I can find the minimum required step 1 & step 2 scores to match PM&R programs?

Members don't see this ad.

don't fail and do the best you can. what scores you need doesn't matter unless you end up wanting to do ENT, ortho, derm, ect. PM&R does not primarily look at scores. But i do know people who failed step 1 once and didn't match but went to family medicine.

concentrate on learning as much as you can. i'm assuming you're an m1/m2. just worry about your tests right now. not programs. worry about that after your m3 year.

Does anybody know a site where I can find the minimum required step 1 & step 2 scores to match PM&R programs?

There's no set minimum although some programs like Spaulding have minimum scores for FMGs. http://www.spauldingrehab.org/education/pmr.residencyprogram/admissions
FAQ for International Medical Graduates
Do you accept International Medical Graduates (IMGs)?
Yes, we do accept IMGs, and have graduated several from our program. All our IMGs had truly exceptional academic credentials. All of our IMGs are certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
What type of visa will I need for your program?
You will need either a J-1 visa, sponsored by the ECFMG, or an H-1 visa, sponsored by The Partners Office for International Students and Scholars.
How do I apply for your program?
You must apply via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We do not accept any other application metho - no paper applications.
Is there a cutoff score on the USMLE?
Yes, there is a cutoff score. You must have scored in at least the 80th percentile on your USMLE exam for your application to be reviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
axm,

you mentioned 80 percentile for the USMLE, what is the cutoff for the COMLEX? Thanks.

Thank you so much RuNnR & axm397, I just wanted to know because I took my step 1 last Dec 2006, got 90, and I will take the step 2 CK (May) & CS (Aug), hopefully I will apply for the match in sept. I am an IMG, american citizen, with a 3 year residency PM&R in other country, will the programs consider those years as GME?. I have another question : is it required to get the ECFMG certification to take also Step 3 before applying to the Match, or the give you the certification with step 1, step2 CK &CS and later I can take step 3 ?
Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies.:love:

I have no idea about your last question. But I would guess that it would depend on the program if they'll take your outside experience. I have never met anyone who has faced this dilemma. I am sure you can contact the program and see what they say. They should be able to refer you the correct person to call. It's going to involve a lot of faxing paperwork and patience I would think......

good luck!!

Thanks RuNnR so,I will make some calls and see......:)

stretch,

Ohio State has a minimun of 500 on step 1. I also heard that emory has the same minimum too, but cant be sure. As you know this score has nothing to do with your percentile. they dont have a minimum for step 2, only that you had not failed it before.

What does mean score "500"? as far as I know the 3 digit score step 1 does not go that far (until 300 maybe). Do you know the minimun 2 digit score?.Please could you kindly explain?:)

read up a few lines at stretch's post. 500 is most likely a COMPLEX score.

What does mean score "500"? as far as I know the 3 digit score step 1 does not go that far (until 300 maybe). Do you know the minimun 2 digit score?.Please could you kindly explain?:)

oups!, so that 500 score refers to COMLEX?.....what a relief! I thought it was something new....sorry, I did not know:oops:

PM&R has the lowest board scores of any branch of medicine, including family practice if I'm not mistaken. This is according to the stats that were released last year, and widely posted around these forums.

People here get defensive and talk about how PM&R is "competetive", but it would seem as if there is a branch that's way less competetive than the others and doesn't mandate high board scores, then PM&R is it.

There is no denying that the avg. scores are not not high overall. However, I think what people usually refer to is that the top handfull of programs (that everyone seems to want to apply to) are very competative.

PM&R has the lowest board scores of any branch of medicine, including family practice if I'm not mistaken. This is according to the stats that were released last year, and widely posted around these forums.

People here get defensive and talk about how PM&R is "competetive", but it would seem as if there is a branch that's way less competetive than the others and doesn't mandate high board scores, then PM&R is it.

According to the Wash U Med School website, PM&R is classified as "high" in competitivness, which ranks is with the likes of derm, etc. However, as mentioned here, we have a history of low board scores (last year's avg was 208 if I recall correctly, which was in fact the lowest of all specialties). I believe that it is deemed highly competitive because of the # of unmatched US seniors each year (due to increasing # of applicants).

http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin/resweb.nsf/L/2A20A564B2ED7D2C86256F8F00747A45?OpenDocument

hey lenroc --> I think a problem we have here is realizing that for PMR, the traditional view that "board scores make you competitive" does not apply. It IS competitive. What makes one competitive for PMR?

PMR realizes that high board scores don't make you a better doctor. Many smart peeps cannot talk to patients to save their ass. PMR looks at the whole applicant as it looks at the whole patient. There are certain personal traits/characteristics you absolutely MUST possess to be a great PMR doctor. Aceing tests is not it.

I know it's hard to uproot a system that is so ingrained in test scores, but we've just begun.

Board scores only matter so much. but it's true that one cannot be a complete dumb ass and fail b/c no one wants you then.

Again, every specialty has certain requirements for one to be "competitive." And no one specialty has any right to put down any other for these. We are all different and we have to work together. Just get over your insecuries whether it be your insecurity of your own career choice or your life or your total being. it seems like people try to make themselves look better/feel better if they have high scores as others who don't rationalize why it's okay for theirs to be low. EVERYONE needs to get over it. We all have strengths and disabilities whatever they may be.

just my 2 cents

After talking to a good number of program directors, it seems that they pay a lot of attention to Dean's letters, comments/evaluations during 3rd and 4th year rotations, and letters of recommendations. Obviously, good board scores and grades can only help but most PDs want people who are going to get along with others. If it's a choice between someone who didn't do too well on the boards and someone who got negative evaluations during their rotations, I think most would choose the lower board score. A lot of my interview questions centered around my character, how I handle difficult situations and patients, and how I would work with a team.

I don't really care to repeat the discussions we have had in the past about board scores and "competitiveness" of the field. I think the general consensus is simple: the top tier programs are more competitive, board scores and grades matter but not as much as evaluations and letters of recommendations, and program directors look for fit as much as anything else. My PD likes to talk about "competency" a lot. Competency is very difficult to measure. Just because someone does well on the boards does not mean they are a good clinician. If you ask most patients, they will remember the bedside manner and personality of their physicians.

Like Axm said, USMLEs are thrown into the "applicant soup", ie being just one part of the overall recipe. Subpar scores won't necessarily kill you. Multiple attempts will be a red flag. High scores (and we saw several 260s) are a definite plus. However, PM&R letters of rec (either good or bad) and your performance in 3rd and 4th year will play a bigger role.

Wash Us methodology is wrong. We're not as competitive as Derm/Ortho/etc. There was a thread talking dissecting their methodology in the past.