Prior Matched Applicants Step 2 Comlex 2 Scores and

Started by sazz9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sazz9

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all.

So I have been hearing a lot of rumors about how many programs to apply to; anywhere from 20 to 50 PM&R programs and anywhere from 10-70 Prelim/TY programs.

I dont want to scramble but also dont want to waste a ton of money on applying to a bunch of places if I dont need to.

My home institution does not have a PM&R program, thus my advisors have not really gave me much information on how the amount of programs to apply to... ANy help from Veteran ERAS-ers out there that have matched?

I dont want to post stats on here because that's not the point (if interested see recent COMLEX 2 thread), but any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
 
Caveat #1, and it's been stated here before: better to over-apply and spend some loan money than to not match and spend a full year in limbo + however much that costs, both monetarily and emotionally.

I'm a PGY1 this year and went through the most recent match. When I began applying I believe the NRMP numbers showed a 90%+ match rate for people who went on 9+ interviews (+/- 1). Without going through stats and all that, figure anywhere between a 30-70% interview rate for all the places you apply. Of course this will differ with the perceived quality of the institutions where you apply, so a few "reaches", many "good shots", and a few "meh, I'd rather not live there" will cover your bases.

I operated (for better or for worse) on achieving 10+ interviews. I applied to 25ish programs, and with a Southeast region bias to boot. Depending on where you can stand to live and how competitive you are, I'd suggest 30 well-selected programs with the spread outlined above.

As for prelim/TYs, I don't know if there's more sound advice than to just shotgun it. TYs are more competitive, and if you're worried about matching at all there is always the dreaded surgical prelim. I applied to 15 TYs/med prelims total (again, regional bias), got 5 interviews, and then happened to match to a categorical program. My friends who matched to advanced programs applied to upwards of 30 prelims/TYs, and matched successfully.