MD Anderson away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcl2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if visiting students can do radonc rotations at MD Anderson? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. They have students coming from all over the country. But you need to get on the ball now, as they fill up very quickly.

I did a rotation there last year and really enjoyed it..that place is just simply amazing. I did not get an interview there..but didn't really expect to either. My reason for going there was for the experience and also to get a letter. If you are not an MD/PhD, I wouldn't have too high of hopes that you'll get an interview. But I would definitely still do a rotation there if it fits in your schedule.

If I recall, I set up my rotation last year around this time (you gotta do this EARLY at most of the big-name places). You have to submit an application which is then approved by the PD. You'll write a personal statement stating why you'd like to do the rotation there.

One thing to keep in mind: once your elective is approved, they will ask you which teams you'd like to be on. You'll most likely be on one service for 2 weeks, then switch to another service. So I'd start thinking about which attending you're going to set your sights on for a letter, and then try to get on their team obviously.

If you have any questions, PM me. I really enjoyed my rotation there, that place is the BOMB.

agree with napoleon. Worth it for the experience and a letter if you can get one. Otherwise, don't expect an interview unless you're MDPhD. Yeah, there were a couple MD folks in their interview pool but they were not your average MD radonc applicant.

Expect that breast and thoracic will be the highly sought after rotations for obvious reasons. I didn't do either one; just stuff I was personally interested in and wanted to learn more about which is probably the best way to go about it.