EK 30-minute lecture exam scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just though tthis could be a useful thread. Post what you think about exams, specific questions, your scores, tricks, techniques....anything that could be usefull for other MCATers.
:luck: :luck: :luck: to you all:D

Members don't see this ad.

like i said in other thread i am done with lecture 1 bio and gen chem.
Got 10 and 9 respectively on the 30 minute exams in EK.
Will post ogro lecture 1 score as soon as i will take it tonight.
stay motivater ppl:D :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
just finished taken Bio lecture 9; got an 8 on it. Missed stupid questions and horrible graph that maybe when I study for physics I will be able to understand. Other than that it was ok.

I've taken Phys1, Bio1, and Chem1 with 8-11-11, respectively. Missed some stupid stuff on Phys1..

The only one i've done was bio lecture 7. Got a 12 on it. Waited more than a week after reading that section to take it. Anyone else take this one?

ok...done with EK orgo lecture 1. I got a 10 on the 30-minute exam.
But maaaan it was crazy.
It had absolutely nothing to do with the material they talked about in the lecture. Maybe i am just retared:laugh: but it was hard:mad:

yea the orgo lecture 1 exam was a really good one, cuz it mostly focused on the conceptually difficult info (chirality, stereoisomers, etc)...but u are right, it was crazyyyy hard, also there were some questions on there, i'm not quite sure we were supposed to know after just lecture one (Like the definition of an "enol"?)...I subsequently found out what an enol was, but...kind of caught me off guard in the middle of my test.

Ahhh here's the thread for EK 30 minute exams!

I'm averaging 9s so far (I'm done with the first 5 bio) and it's killing me because I'm making stupid errors. Like narrowing it down to 2 and not going back to the passage. Or misreading something.

Oh well. After the 30 minute bio, chem, orgo, and physics exams, time for the 1001 series, then the FL's.

(I hear beethoven's 5th in the background :eek:)

You guys are doing really well on those 30 minute exams. I am really doing poorly myself. I scored a 6 on Phys 1 and a 5 on Bio 1. I even did poorly on the verbal1. I feel really bad about this test now. My very first practice MCAT was bad as well. I scored a P-5 B-7 V-8 on CBT-8 practice exam. I just started studying last week, so I hope I get better.:(

Physics

1 - 14
2 - 12
3 - 12
4 - 13
5 - 10
6 - 13
7 - 11
8 - 15

Bio -
1 - 14
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 12
5 - 11
6 - 10 (glomerular filtration passage kicked my ass super hard)
7 - 13
8 - 15
9 - 14

General Chem

1 - 14
2 - 12
3 - 12
4 - 13
5 - 14
6 - 12
7 - 10

O chem
1 - 12
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 12

Verbal

didn't write down.

The huge problem I see with the EK 30-minute tests is that they are VERY specific to what EK teaches and how the EK chapters teach. There's not really that much critical thinking as long as you remember what EK stresses in the lecture. I don't think this is a good way of studying, so mixing up test materials is probably a good way to be more well rounded.

Physics

1 - 14
2 - 12
3 - 12
4 - 13
5 - 10
6 - 13
7 - 11
8 - 15

Bio -
1 - 14
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 12
5 - 11
6 - 10 (glomerular filtration passage kicked my ass super hard)
7 - 13
8 - 15
9 - 14

General Chem

1 - 14
2 - 12
3 - 12
4 - 13
5 - 14
6 - 12
7 - 10

O chem
1 - 12
2 - 13
3 - 12
4 - 12

Verbal

didn't write down.

The huge problem I see with the EK 30-minute tests is that they are VERY specific to what EK teaches and how the EK chapters teach. There's not really that much critical thinking as long as you remember what EK stresses in the lecture. I don't think this is a good way of studying, so mixing up test materials is probably a good way to be more well rounded.

i agree. EK only tests specific stuff that they stress, especially "internal energy" questions for inorganic chem and "pv work." i'd like to see the author get a 13+ on PS or BS

Members don't see this ad :)
done with the stupid physics lecture 1...ehhh. i scored 8:( ...i hate these projectiles.
I also think that the way in which they were asking questions was very wierd.
Like in one question where they ask when the acceleration was the greatest and then the right answear is when the Zacchini was still in the cannon, which was wierd to me since they didn't talk about force yet....it is in the next chapter.
and then the same kind of question was with a projectile when it was shot out using a spring gun.
I guess when you take these lecture exams you just should ingnore the fact that they SUPPOSED to test what was IN that lecture.
Also beware of the answear sheet for the problem #22...it says C but the answear explanation says what corresponds to B. In case you wonder there is just simply a typo and the answear should be B.
Ok i am off to bio lecture2 since i am stuck at my house with no TV in the middle of snow storm:laugh:

geez... i have the facts down cold... I am nailing literally almost every independent question... but can't seem to get more than 3-5 right for each freakin' passage... this blows:scared:

yeah i feel the same way. I think it's just a matter of training your brain to think in the MCAT way. SOmetimes it is just easier to get the right answear by elimination. ANd i also think that EK is meant to be hard. For instance after doing EK i did some Nova passages and got most of the questions right. I also thought they were much easier the EK. I wish i was done with all that material and able to start on my FL practice...oh, well 2 more months:laugh:

Updates...

Phys 1: 8
Phys 2: 10

GChem 1: 11
GChem 2: 11

Bio1: 11
Bio2: 10

VR 1: 8 <--- I missed all but one question on the last passage; completely missed the main idea. It was so easy to read too...:rolleyes:

Did anyone else find the first passage in bio 8 to be ****ing tricky? I thought I nailed it but did horribly

Well, I already posted this in the other EK topic, but whatever.

Biology - 12-10-7-5-8-7-11-12-8
Physics - 10-11-9-7-11-8-8-8
Chemistry - 12-10-7-10-13-5 (didn't take the last one)
Verbal - 9-10-6
O Chem - 10-8-10-10

Those 5's reallllly hurt.

geez... i have the facts down cold... I am nailing literally almost every independent question... but can't seem to get more than 3-5 right for each freakin' passage... this blows:scared:

Smae here. I was told in the EK class that those 30 minute exams are not good inicators of how you will do on the test. They are extremely challenging on purpose. He also mentioned that those questions are actually not as well put together as the MCAT questions. They are just there to make you think. Bottom line, expect to score a little higher in that small subsection of the test. Doesn't mean that if you score an 8 or 9 on a 30 minute exam on Genes that you will do well on the whole bio section of the MCAT.

I got a 6 on bio-2 lecture exam. I got a 9 on physics-2. :scared:

yeah i hate this.
The problem is that have i done really bad on the in lecture desctetes then i would know i have obviously a problem with genetics and that i need to study it more. But now i am just simply confused.
I will see how i do on my first FL(i hope sometime this weekend if time permits) before i start freaking out.

9 on the physics is not bad.
Their questions are insane. I find them really hard, deffinetly not like the read MCAT questions i have seen.

yeah i hate this.
The problem is that have i done really bad on the in lecture desctetes then i would know i have obviously a problem with genetics and that i need to study it more. But now i am just simply confused.
I will see how i do on my first FL(i hope sometime this weekend if time permits) before i start freaking out.

9 on the physics is not bad.
Their questions are insane. I find them really hard, deffinetly not like the read MCAT questions i have seen.

Yeah, those questions are hard. Genetics has become a completely esoteric subject for me.

I wouldn't worry about it though, the EK people packed a little note with the materials, and they said that those questions are harder than the real test questions. The difficulty is comparable to the questions in the Kaplan MCAT 45 books, if you have seen them. Those suck too.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Yeah, those questions are hard. Genetics has become a completely esoteric subject for me.

I wouldn't worry about it though, the EK people packed a little note with the materials, and they said that those questions are harder than the real test questions. The difficulty is comparable to the questions in the Kaplan MCAT 45 books, if you have seen them. Those suck too.

Good Luck:thumbup:

i hope to have time finally this weekend to take the FL and see how much i suck with the real MCAT questions:laugh:
For now i am stuck studying for my last of the 3 midterms i had this week...i am sooo :sleep:
GL to you too and keep us posted:)

I've gotten 10s on:

Bio1: 10
Chem 1, 2, 3: 10, 10, 10
Phys 1, 2: 10, 10
O Chem 1: 10

Mann... can't break the 10s

I hear you should add about 2 points to your score or so.. since these are harder (i hope)

what's better to do...these 30 min exams or EK 1001? I've been doing both but the 1001's are really killing time haha

I only bought the 1001 for Gen Chem and Bio because they kill me. I like the 30 min exams because they have the passages. Gen chem 1001 are just discretes, but I think it's still worth our time.

what's better to do...these 30 min exams or EK 1001? I've been doing both but the 1001's are really killing time haha

I think EK 1001 is better practice than the 30 min exams. Personally, I stopped taking the 30 minute exams altogether. They definitely would test stuff not in the chapter and it would really tick me off. The 1001 questions are better to help you drill the formulas and get comfortable working with the formulas, if that's what you need.

I have taken all of the 30 min lecture exams and I am too terrified to look at the scale.

I found them to be ridiculously hard and even more tricky.

i agree with the whole not taking the 30 minute exams. After reading/rereading/studying/taking notes on a single lecture which would typically take about 4 hours, I would then attempt the 30 min exam and the result would usually be between 7-12 and me getting extremely mad at the book. my main problem is that they test stuff that isnt even in the lecture section. i just pray to God that the real MCAT passages are nothing like these

Bio:

11 (yess.. broke 10)

Chem:

Phys:

O Chem:

Oh damn.. just took Chem Lecture 4 and got an 8.. was getting 10s on them so far :S this one was hard as hell

Organic Chem 7, 11, 7, 10

Rushed through the lectures but EK gives a great gist of the organic chem topics being tested. Weak in memorizing reactions and definitions (the 7's), reading over the book again should fix that. It has been two years since I took organic chem (both of them during highly condensed summer sessions) and I was so scared of MCAT organic. Feeling much better now :D

I guess ill post my scores too...

Bio:

1. 11
2. 12
3. 14
4. 13
5. 10
6. 11
7. 12
8. 14
9. 8?!?! (I guess I was just really tired when i took this one...)

Orgo:

1. 8
2. 10
3. 11
4. 12

Anyone have experience as to how their scores on the 30-min exams compared to their score on the real deal?

ok...done with EK orgo lecture 1. I got a 10 on the 30-minute exam.
But maaaan it was crazy.
It had absolutely nothing to do with the material they talked about in the lecture. Maybe i am just retared:laugh: but it was hard:mad:

Exactly!!!

Funny thing is.. I'm getting like 2 pts higher than these scores on practice tests
I think if you can pull 10s or higher on these tests, you're set

Bio:
7 (Glomerular Filtration.. lmao.. i zoned out)

Chem:
6 (Phase Changes/solubility.. OWNED)
7 (Acids/Bases =( )

Phys:

O Chem:

Bumping. Almost done with Phys/Bio so I'll have those scores within a few days.

I found out through a few MDapps profiles but does anyone also have their real MCAT scores to compare with their EK exam scores?

Finally finished biology & physics

Physics
1. 10
2. 12
3. 11
4. 6 (Found out that I have no idea how a lever works)
5. 12
6. 10
7. 12
8. 10

Biology
1. 13
2. 12
3. 12
4. 7 (should note I took this one without studying to see how much studying helps; it helps a lot :D)
5. 10
6. 9
7. 12
8. 12
9. 13

I have the complete EK series 6th edition (2005). Is it worth the money to buy the 2007 edition or am I good?