Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptimallyPrime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear about NIH CRTP or HHMI Cloister interviews yet? Doris Duke interviews have started to move...

Members don't see this ad.

cloisters is going to start sending out interviews on monday. not sure if via email or regular mail. anyone know what they've done in the past?

cloisters is going to start sending out interviews on monday. not sure if via email or regular mail. anyone know what they've done in the past?

I called Cloister and NIH-CRTP today. Cloister said that we would hear by Monday via email and NIH-CRTP said they are sending out emails for interviews on Friday and Letters in the mail to those that are rejected. I can't wait to know something!!

Members don't see this ad :)
HHMI Cloister interviews sent out around noon. They're setting dates for March 1st and 2nd.

the interviews they sent out today are for only one of the interview weekends or both?

has anyone heard back about the CRTP program yet?

So can you assume if you didnt hear from them today at noon that you didnt get an interview spot?

he said march 1st and 2nd...so im assuming they havent sent out for the other weekend interviews yet?

Lets hope so! I dont know who/where to call otherwise I would have. Well I guess all we can do is wait til Monday?! Anyone else get an invite?

I apologize for the confusion. Apparently there are two separate weeks available for interviews. I can only comment on "Week 1," set for March 1st and 2nd. I'm unaware of what else is going on in terms of notifying applicants.

I heard about the CRTP program this evening in an email. I havent heard from HHMI.

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
when is your hhmi interview? Is it the same weekend on March 1-2

it is the same weekend march 1 to 2nd.

which doris duke programs have offered interviews- have columbia or mt sinai offered?

did anybody get an interview for march 8-9?

I heard about the CRTP program this evening in an email. I havent heard from HHMI.
Yup, CRTP went out around 5:30 yesterday. I'm assuming they must have coordinated with HHMI to release invites on the same day. The CRTP interviews I know of are on March 4th and 5th. Not sure if there are other dates that they are offering interviews.

Does anyone know if the Doris Duke program at UCSF offers interviews?

So anyone hear about march 8 or 9 for the interviews?

perhaps someone could verify but my friend emailed to ask about interviews and the lady told him all invitations were sent out this past friday.

i emailed lets see what they say.

Yeah I called and they said they sent out all the invites already. This was on Monday.

i should have been more specific. has anyone heard from Columbia or Sinai?

the doris duke programs and crtp have started sending out decisions. does anyone know if hhmi is also moving decisions today?

HHMI 2day as well

heard from cloister and CRTP this morning. has anyone heard from harvard, columbia, or ucsf for doris duke? i know someone who heard from unc.

Heard from UCSF Doris Duke today! Good luck, everyone.

Cloister here I come!! Got e-mail yesterday!
Goodluck guys

I heard today that my classmate is going to turn down a Howard Hughes for Cloister 2/2 prestige. Is the Cloister program that prestigious? I always thought it was Howard Hughes and then everything else. Am I wrong? Are they on equal footing?

I heard today that my classmate is going to turn down a Howard Hughes for Cloister 2/2 prestige. Is the Cloister program that prestigious? I always thought it was Howard Hughes and then everything else. Am I wrong? Are they on equal footing?
the cloister program IS a howard hughes program. and it's arguably the most prestigious of any of the research year programs due to it being around since the early 80's.

x

Last edited:
Anyone have any news from HMS yet?

Trying to choose b/w this program and Hughes (not cloister, the off-site Hughes)

Nrf

hey nrf~

i posted this in the other place where you asked your question:

"hey, i'm sure that by now you've confirmed your howard hughes, but harvard's doris duke program filled w/ the first round of acceptances this time. in any case, i've heard that the howard hughes program is amazing. so enjoy it!"

as for me i'll be at unc for the doris duke this year! good luck to everyone out there still figuring out their plans for a research year!

and for the person who asked about doris duke vs. hhmi- i think that's an interesting question because i think some people wouldn't even apply for hhmi in the first place if their interests are more clinical research than basic science, myself for example. that being said, i haven't heard of someone choosing doris duke over hhmi.

cheers,
wd

Has anyone received anything "official" yet? I mean anything beyond an email? It's sad, but for some reason I feel like we should get something in the mail!

Has anyone received anything "official" yet? I mean anything beyond an email? It's sad, but for some reason I feel like we should get something in the mail!

I know - I feel exactly the same way. I had to print my e-mail and take it to the registrar's office and ask if it was acceptable to include that in my "year-off" form. I felt silly...

Maybe it's my left-over med school application self talking, but I totally agree. An "official" letter would be nice. Plus some more information (at least from my school) on mentor selection, relocation money, etc., etc., etc... July 1st isn't that far away! :)

Yeah, I'm at UCSF too, so hopefully we can get a response from someone at one of the other schools.

hey guys- will be at UCSF as well-

sharing the same concerns as the both of you- esp with the fact that we're supposed to visit at some pt in may to finalize mentors, etc.

hopefully we get some of the logistical info soon.

any idea where you guys are gonna live?

Alright, so now either by posting or private message I know of three people on here going to UCSF. Including myself and two others from Stanford, that's 6. That's got to be the majority of people? alec689 is putting together an email group if any other UCSFers want in, so send him a message.

Also, is anyone else on here doing the international program (UCSF or other)?

Bump.

Does anyone who's successfully applied and been accepted in the past have any advice for the applications? Anyone want to share experiences at a particular school? Thanks!

Check the search function for "NIH CRTP." This sort of thread pops up every year, so you'll find a lot.

===============

- It occurred to me that you probably used the search function to bump this thread. I got ahold of one poster who got into both HHMI Cloisters and the NIH CRTP via PM. I asked her several questions, some of which overlap with your's. Summarizing from her response:

- Timeline: Apply in the winter online, interview in March, and hear if you are accepted a few weeks later.

- ID'ing a mentor when you get there: Some folks knew who they wanted to work with ahead of time (family, connections, past work experience, etc). Most CRTPers are not this way and will interview with several labs before they decide which one they want to work with.

- Clinical aspects of CRTP: Can be a waste, may not. Varies widely from one participant to another. Clinical work may be an aspect of your project. How the year is spent is entirely up to the student.

- What got her in: She honestly could not tell me. She did not know she had a chance when applying. She had a lot of research experience as an undergrad, and she was very forthright in her interest in doing research during the interview.

if anyone has questions about the NIH programs (cloister and crtp), ask away. i'm in the cloister program right now.

Great - I'd like to ask you the same questions and get your input:

Where are you now in the program?

What was the the series of events that made up your application process, with respect to both the NIH and your 3rd year rotations? (or tell us the time line if you went MS2 -> HHMI)

How did you identify who to work with?

Are the clinical aspects of the program worthwhile, or are they a waste of time? (or, if you know anyone in the CRTP, what their experience has been so far)

Did you think it is worth it? That is, what were your goals in participating in the program, and have you been able to achieve them so far?

What was it about your application and interview that you feel got you a spot?

You may not be able to answer some of my questions, but thanks in advance.

I have another question - in your personal statement, did you identify a specific area of research that you wanted to do, or just discuss why you wanted to do clinical research in general? I've only been through 3 rotations, and have no idea WHAT I want to do yet, but I'm wondering if I should pick something and write about it vs. just writing about research in general. Thanks.

I am midway through the cloister program. I applied during my clinical year (MS2 at Duke). On that note, I would highly encourage people to apply after their clinical year, since so many career decisions are dictated/altered during clinical year.

I basically knew who I wanted to work with long before coming to the NIH, mainly because there is only one person in my field of interest at the NIH. However, for most people, they choose a mentor after coming to the NIH. You spend the first 2-4 weeks meeting with a whole bunch of PIs and getting a feel for their labs.

Since I'm in the cloister program, I don't actually know much about the clinical aspects of the CRTP program. My program has no clinical bent towards it. For some, that works out just as well. However, for people like me who love the clinical side of things in addition to the research, you have to forge your own path.

Is the program worth it? It depends on what your expectations are and what you envision your career path to be. So, it's entirely dependent on you individually. If you want this program to help you bolster your residency application even though you have no desire to do research in the future, I would be hard pressed to justify taking a year out of your life for that. But, even that, it's dependent on you.

To answer diosa428, I was very specific in my interest in research. At the time I was applying, I knew what field clinically I wanted to go into (peds cards) but I did not necessarily know what research aspect of peds cards, which is impossible to know since it will change. So, I talked about my interest in congenital heart disease and tissue engineering, which are two things I've been interested in for a while. However, if you don't know what field you want to go into, there is no reason to just choose one for the sake of the application. There are people in my program who have never done research nor know what field they want to go into. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Speaking in general terms is fine.

I am midway through the cloister program. I applied during my clinical year (MS2 at Duke). On that note, I would highly encourage people to apply after their clinical year, since so many career decisions are dictated/altered during clinical year.

I basically knew who I wanted to work with long before coming to the NIH, mainly because there is only one person in my field of interest at the NIH. However, for most people, they choose a mentor after coming to the NIH. You spend the first 2-4 weeks meeting with a whole bunch of PIs and getting a feel for their labs.

Since I'm in the cloister program, I don't actually know much about the clinical aspects of the CRTP program. My program has no clinical bent towards it. For some, that works out just as well. However, for people like me who love the clinical side of things in addition to the research, you have to forge your own path.

Is the program worth it? It depends on what your expectations are and what you envision your career path to be. So, it's entirely dependent on you individually. If you want this program to help you bolster your residency application even though you have no desire to do research in the future, I would be hard pressed to justify taking a year out of your life for that. But, even that, it's dependent on you.

To answer diosa428, I was very specific in my interest in research. At the time I was applying, I knew what field clinically I wanted to go into (peds cards) but I did not necessarily know what research aspect of peds cards, which is impossible to know since it will change. So, I talked about my interest in congenital heart disease and tissue engineering, which are two things I've been interested in for a while. However, if you don't know what field you want to go into, there is no reason to just choose one for the sake of the application. There are people in my program who have never done research nor know what field they want to go into. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Speaking in general terms is fine.

Ramblin - did you apply to multiple programs or just the cloister? Also, do you think the clinical experience helps specifically with the research or just helped you to decide the specific field of research you wanted to pursue?