Doing postdox + taking classes + getting A's = possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Creightonite

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am thinking of doing a postdoc after PhD and taking some classes while doing postdoc. How receptive are the bosses if I want to take some classes while in the lab? Thank you.
 
I am thinking of doing a postdoc after PhD and taking some classes while doing postdoc. How receptive are the bosses if I want to take some classes while in the lab? Thank you.
You can talk to your PI about it, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it. Look at it from your boss's perspective: why would he want to pay you to take classes and work essentially part-time in his lab when he can pay a second guy the same amount and get him to work 80 hours per week?
 
A postdoc is generally a full-time-plus job. Maybe you could work in night/weekend classes, but most postdocs I know (in the sciences -- I know nothing about postdocs in the humanities) wouldn't have a lot of time for classes. What field is your PhD, and what type of classes are you talking about?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of grad classes are not offered in the night. Plus, i think it would very difficult to slave in the lab the whole day and then go to class. Thats why I kind of like grad schools where classes are integral part of the program. Thanks, guys. Seems a postdoc is not a solution.
 
Most of grad classes are not offered in the night. Plus, i think it would very difficult to slave in the lab the whole day and then go to class. Thats why I kind of like grad schools where classes are integral part of the program. Thanks, guys. Seems a postdoc is not a solution.
It will get you more papers, though, and it will continue to show that your background of being a physician-scientist is consistent. If the Admissions Committee thinks a PhD applicant is only going to medical school because the 'grass is greener', that can raise a red flag, too. Just something to consider.