1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Doing postdox + taking classes + getting A's = possible?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Creightonite, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Creightonite

Creightonite Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am thinking of doing a postdoc after PhD and taking some classes while doing postdoc. How receptive are the bosses if I want to take some classes while in the lab? Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    You can talk to your PI about it, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it. Look at it from your boss's perspective: why would he want to pay you to take classes and work essentially part-time in his lab when he can pay a second guy the same amount and get him to work 80 hours per week?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A postdoc is generally a full-time-plus job. Maybe you could work in night/weekend classes, but most postdocs I know (in the sciences -- I know nothing about postdocs in the humanities) wouldn't have a lot of time for classes. What field is your PhD, and what type of classes are you talking about?

4. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Why not take them late in the evening so it's not an issue? That's what I did.

5. OP
    OP
    Creightonite

Creightonite Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Most of grad classes are not offered in the night. Plus, i think it would very difficult to slave in the lab the whole day and then go to class. Thats why I kind of like grad schools where classes are integral part of the program. Thanks, guys. Seems a postdoc is not a solution.

6. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

It will get you more papers, though, and it will continue to show that your background of being a physician-scientist is consistent. If the Admissions Committee thinks a PhD applicant is only going to medical school because the 'grass is greener', that can raise a red flag, too. Just something to consider.