Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
I am thinking of doing a postdoc after PhD and taking some classes while doing postdoc. How receptive are the bosses if I want to take some classes while in the lab? Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
I am thinking of doing a postdoc after PhD and taking some classes while doing postdoc. How receptive are the bosses if I want to take some classes while in the lab? Thank you.
You can talk to your PI about it, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it. Look at it from your boss's perspective: why would he want to pay you to take classes and work essentially part-time in his lab when he can pay a second guy the same amount and get him to work 80 hours per week?

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
A postdoc is generally a full-time-plus job. Maybe you could work in night/weekend classes, but most postdocs I know (in the sciences -- I know nothing about postdocs in the humanities) wouldn't have a lot of time for classes. What field is your PhD, and what type of classes are you talking about?

About the Ads

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
Most of grad classes are not offered in the night. Plus, i think it would very difficult to slave in the lab the whole day and then go to class. Thats why I kind of like grad schools where classes are integral part of the program. Thanks, guys. Seems a postdoc is not a solution.

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Most of grad classes are not offered in the night. Plus, i think it would very difficult to slave in the lab the whole day and then go to class. Thats why I kind of like grad schools where classes are integral part of the program. Thanks, guys. Seems a postdoc is not a solution.
It will get you more papers, though, and it will continue to show that your background of being a physician-scientist is consistent. If the Admissions Committee thinks a PhD applicant is only going to medical school because the 'grass is greener', that can raise a red flag, too. Just something to consider.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.