Combined Emergency/Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopemedbound

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information about combined emergency / internal medicine residencies?
How competitive are they compared to other residencies such as EM?
I read somewhere that they generally "accept from an honors group or top 1/3 of their class," anyone heard this as well?

any info would be appreciated!

seth

Members don't see this ad.

Give us a link. I've never heard of this type of residency program before.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should also check www.saem.org and look under medical students and then residency catalog. They have more info about the combined EM/IM and also EM/IM/CC residencies.

Thanks for the links.

My advice is to not be swayed away by the competative requirements that seem to exist. Indeed, they probably can afford to be pickier than straight EM, but interviews and subjective criteria are more important for residency programs than say med school admissions.

There has been some recent discussion on this topic over in the EM forum. Definitely talk to some people that went through the programs. The buzz is that most grads end up just working as emergency physicians (I've never seen an actual number) and that no one really thinks that they are better EPs for having boarded in IM as well.

I am an EM resident and have a good friend that is EM/IM. I can answer a couple of the questions, and like all of these sorts of questions, be prepared to get different answers from different people. I would also recommend that you pop over to the EM forum and use the "search" engine to find this topic discussed numerous times in the past.

General: EMs history (although not very long) is rather convoluted and interesting - thus the present array of 1-3, 2-4, 1-4, EM/IM, EM/peds, etc. From what I am told, there used to be more EM/IM programs around, but many of those have faded away - I am sure other people can have opinions as to why that was. EM/IM programs are 5 year programs. Most of their formats are something along the lines of 3 months EM, 3 months IM, etc.

Competitiveness: These programs are less competitive than the competitive EM programs and more competitive than the less competitive EM programs. Translation: they are somewhere in the middle of the EM spectrum. EM/IM people will talk about how few spots there are to attest to their competitiveness, but you should realize that most people applying in EM simply do not find these programs very desirable. It is very self-selective.

Residency experience: What I have heard from many EM/IM people is that for the first 3 years of their residency, they feel constantly behind their peers both in the ED and on the floors. The changing back and forth is disorienting, and you cannot deeply study both fields at the same rate as either EM or IM residents. As they enter PGY-4, they actually feel like seniors, Then as PGY-5, they are the "studs" in the ER and on the floors, as they have more years of training than any other residents.

Career: My friend who is EM/IM really made the decision based on an enjoyment of internal medicine but with the notion that he would become an emergency physician. He wanted the extra training. Most people do end up becoming emergency physicians (I think it's because medicine is boring :smuggrin: ), but there are those rare exceptions that go on to do cardiology fellowships, have their own clinic, or some other random permutation. There have been studies done on the preparation of EM/IM programs vs. EM programs (I don't have a link to it - I read a paper copy in medical school). What I remember it showing was that EM/IM people generally function at the same level as 1-4-trained people (and above 1-3 trained) until about 6-12 months out of residency. After that, it's a level playing field.

Hope this helped.

One advantage of EM/IM programs is if you want to become boarded in critical care or critical care/pulm which you can currently only do from IM. Otherwise, like everyone else says, there doesn't seem to be much advantage to doing the combined program.

One advantage of EM/IM programs is if you want to become boarded in critical care or critical care/pulm which you can currently only do from IM. Otherwise, like everyone else says, there doesn't seem to be much advantage to doing the combined program.

Actually, over on the EM forum, they were saying that a few critical care programs are starting to accept EM graduates, FWIW. Most of the people I know who consider those programs do so because they plan to work in an underserved area (generally very rural) where they fulfill the role of urgent care and primary care (though it seems to me that FP/EM works better for that). I don't know how well the programs work for that kind of training since I'm an MS2 and am more concerned about step one than residency right now, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Actually, over on the EM forum, they were saying that a few critical care programs are starting to accept EM graduates, FWIW.

Yes, you can do critical care being EM trained, but you can't yet become boarded in it. It's a big controversy, and folks over in the EM forums think it's only a matter of time before you can do a CC fellowship from EM and become boarded, but for now, no go.