Need suggestions on Books for FM residency

Started by sinnet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sinnet

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please make suggestions on what books to use for light reading these next couple of months in preparation for FM residency. I'd prefer using not-so-detailed books that I will help me prepare take the FM board exam in 3 years.

I haven't worked in a clinical setting for a couple of years and I just want to brush up on my clinical skills and knowledge. Thanks in advance for all your help.
 
Please make suggestions on what books to use for light reading these next couple of months in preparation for FM residency. I'd prefer using not-so-detailed books that I will help me prepare take the FM board exam in 3 years.

I haven't worked in a clinical setting for a couple of years and I just want to brush up on my clinical skills and knowledge. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi sinnet,
I am in the same situation. Please let me know if you find any good book to refresh our knowledge.
Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow, great help there guys. here you go: Cope's Early Diagnosis of the Acute Abdomen, Degowin's Guide to Physical Exam, Hoppenfeld's Musculoskeletal Exam, Goldbloom's Pediatric Clinical Skills.
 
I am med student but recently asked this question to two local (Oklahoma) program directors. I specifically mentioned that I am interested in general procedures, sports medicine, and OB so I'm not sure how much that influenced their recommendations...regardles, here are the books that were on both of their lists (in no order):

Family Medicine: Ambulatory Care & Prevention- Mengel & Schwiebert
Procedures for Primary Care Physicians- Pfenninger
Fracture Managment for Primary Care- Eiff
Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures- Buttaravoli & Stair
Family Medicine: Principle and Practice- Taylor
Clinical Dermatology- Habif
Essentials of Musculoskeletal Car- Griffin
Injection Techniques in Ortho and Sports Medicine- Saunders
Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis- Zitelli

They also said it was good to have a "full" text of your choice for medicine, OB, and peds but that, realistically, the Current Diagnosis and Treatment in ________ (peds, medicine, ob, etc) were fine.

Also, you can't beat The Harriet Lane Handbook for peds or The Washington Manual for your adult inpatient services.
 
Family Medicine: Ambulatory Care & Prevention- Mengel & Schwiebert
Procedures for Primary Care Physicians- Pfenninger
Fracture Managment for Primary Care- Eiff
Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures- Buttaravoli & Stair
Family Medicine: Principle and Practice- Taylor
Clinical Dermatology- Habif
Essentials of Musculoskeletal Car- Griffin
Injection Techniques in Ortho and Sports Medicine- Saunders
Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis- Zitelli

Not much "light" about that list, that's for sure. I've heard all of those mentioned as good texts to own/read during residency, but since the OP asked about light brush-up reading, which to me means something that will fit in your beach bag 😉 ...

I've been reading American Family Physician lately. I always learn something useful. I'm also reading some of On Call Principles and Protocols (Ruedy) so I won't feel so dumb in a few weeks.
 
hey sophie...you don't think my list was "light" enough?? I read these all in a couple of days:laugh:

For some more literally light reading (that will definitely fit in that beach bag), how bout Tarascon Primary Care Pocketbook or a Maxwells?

For those who have other "must have" family books (regardless of weight) please keep the lists coming.

Thanks!
 
People are always talking about Maxwell's, and I gotta say, I think I used it about 4 times in medical school, and three of those were to get the format for writing a post op/delivery/procedure note, etc. It was most useful for the pages at the back, on which I wrote pager numbers for whatever service I was on.

I used Up To Date more than anything, but since it's tres gauche to take a laptop to the beach, it will not be included on the "lite" list. 😉
 
People are always talking about Maxwell's, and I gotta say, I think I used it about 4 times in medical school, and three of those were to get the format for writing a post op/delivery/procedure note, etc. It was most useful for the pages at the back, on which I wrote pager numbers for whatever service I was on.

I used Up To Date more than anything, but since it's tres gauche to take a laptop to the beach, it will not be included on the "lite" list. 😉


Up to date is great. Now they have a PDA version. If you get a spring phone/PDA with palm capabilities or any phone with web access you can get on up to date anytime.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally I plan on having the "gold standerd" books from various specialties as references. ie Harrison's for medicine, Sabitson's for surgery. Granted I will not be managing surgical patients but if a patient comes in for follow up after a surgical procedure it would be nice to know what exactly was done.

That and UptoDate 👍
 
Personally I plan on having the "gold standerd" books from various specialties as references. ie Harrison's for medicine, Sabitson's for surgery. Granted I will not be managing surgical patients but if a patient comes in for follow up after a surgical procedure it would be nice to know what exactly was done.

That's pretty much what I did, too. I used the same books that I learned about during my med school rotations.
 
Anything other than the aforementioned books recommended for Peds especially ? Will be my first rotation & these guys have an intense inpatient peds program. Thanks
 
Anything other than the aforementioned books recommended for Peds especially ? Will be my first rotation & these guys have an intense inpatient peds program. Thanks

I've heard of Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics being a classic. But I don't own it and don't know if it's for inpatient or outpatient peds or both or whether it's any good.
 
Here's a recommended residency book list from the AAFP: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/residents/toolsforyou/booklist.html

These are the books they list for peds:

Behrman, Richard E. et al., eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 16th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2000. $110

Hay, William W., Jr. et al., eds. Current Pediatric Diagnosis & Treatment. 16th ed. New York: Appleton & Lange, 2002. $50

McMillan, Julia A. et al, eds. Oski's Pediatrics: Principles and Practice. 3d ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999. $100

Rudolph, Abraham M. et al., eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 21st ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002. $150

Siberry, George K. and Iannone, Robert. The Harriet Lane Handbook : A Manual for Pediatric House Officers. 15th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2000. $35