Who Has Overcome A Low Undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...who has gone to medical school despite a low undergrade gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not yet gone to medical school, but I have been accepted to one that was my #2 overall school. I had a 2.96 uGPA, took the MCAT and got a 26R, took the GRE and got a 515 or something, cannot recall, so I went to graduate school and majored in Biochemistry, and will have my MS this summer. Now, I'm not saying you have to do a MS in Biochem, but it seems one of the best ways to get the schools to look past, or understand what went wrong with your uGPA, is to do some sort of graduate work to raise your GPA and gain some professional experience. In grad school I have achieved a 3.96 gGPA, got to be on 2 publications, and gained some great experience. I re-took the MCAT and didn't change too much 27Q. So don't give up, get some good volunteering, shadowing, and some classes to raise your GPA, and along the way make some good professional connections for LORs and kick butt on your MCAT.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Don't give up if its what you really want, work hard and you can achieve your goal.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I applied this year with a 2.71 science undergraduate GPA and I had 9 interviews (out of a total of 30 schools) with 1 acceptance and the rest waiting list.

I graduate college with a 2.14 science GPA my senior year in 2004. I also went on to graduate school, did some research (published & presented at national conferences), re-took the MCAT, and took more undergraduate classes. I was able to pull off a 4.0 by just prioritizing school and working very hard.

KEEP AT IT! You can do it, if you keep working hard at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
how many classes did you take for graduate school?

I agree. I applied this year with a 2.71 science undergraduate GPA and I had 9 interviews (out of a total of 30 schools) with 1 acceptance and the rest waiting list.

I graduate college with a 2.14 science GPA my senior year in 2004. I also went on to graduate school, did some research (published & presented at national conferences), re-took the MCAT, and took more undergraduate classes. I was able to pull off a 4.0 by just prioritizing school and working very hard.

Everyone, thanks for HOPE!!! I am in the same boat. My undergrad GPA was horrible--that was a decade ago. Since then I have finished a MBA (3.5), a second BS/Masters in Physician Assistant Studies (3.3). Now I am looking to go to the next level and drop the "assistant" and be a Physician. It disturbs me that circumstances from 98 are hindering me in 08. I still have to do physics and the MCAT for prereq.

Any suggestions? Pointers? Advice?

ah yes... my people ;)
I took a mix of do-overs, upper-level science, and GPA booster classes. Went from a 2.76 to a 3.04 in two semesters (36 credit hours). Rocked the MCAT after studying off and on for a few months (make sure you give yourself enough time... I was over-prepared and hitting past the 40 mark with about a month left, but this was after studying for about 5-6 months), and then played the admissions game. Got in to my state-school, and I'm ecstatic :D Good luck guys.

Reactions: 1 users

Currently I'm a junior at my university going for a biochem bs. however I am in very troubled waters... with very similar standings as you had in the past. How did you apply to grad school with a gpa like yours? For the Biochem Master at my school there is a 3.0 minimum gpa requirement. How did YOU get in? Do you recommend any schools and such?

Really, medical school isn't a dream, its a goal I must achieve. I played to hard while I was a fresh and sophomore I started experimenting socially. Junior year, which is now... I finally trying to fix myself however my poor study habits are biting me in the ass. (Which I am changing for the better.) Not to mention I'm the class case of where my ec and research outside of class took too much time and took part in killing my gpa. However I fear its too late for me to apply directly, so how did you do it? Perhaps its too late, but how can I help myself be a better candidate?

You could continue to take some undergrad science courses to boost your GPA above a 3.0

When I first went to college at the end of my soph year I had around a 2.3 or so and withdrew for a couple years, then came back and eventually finished my degree last year maintaining a 3.6-3.8 GPA each semester. Didn't get accepted my first year applying so I spent the year taking some more undergrad science courses to finish out with an overall 3.4 or so and just got accepted this year. My MCAT was 33Q so I knew that I had to bust it with the grades in order to be competitive.

ah yes... my people ;)
I took a mix of do-overs, upper-level science, and GPA booster classes. Went from a 2.76 to a 3.04 in two semesters (36 credit hours). Rocked the MCAT after studying off and on for a few months (make sure you give yourself enough time... I was over-prepared and hitting past the 40 mark with about a month left, but this was after studying for about 5-6 months), and then played the admissions game. Got in to my state-school, and I'm ecstatic :D Good luck guys.

You EVIL genius!

That took some nuts to apply with that gpa. congrats!

I'm in the process now like many of you. I just keep my head down, work my a** off, get as much experience as I can, meet as many contacts as possible, etc, etc.

One thing I cannot stress enough, and I am directing this at myself too, is do not dwell on the past. What's done is done. Learn from it, kick butt now, and never, never give up. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you, just do well NOW!

One more note/question. If God-willing I get some interviews, part of me hopes they ask me about my undergrad gpa and why I would even bother trying for med school anyway, and not get persue another career. I think I would tell them the story about how I got hired to work at my city's stock exchange, starting at about 40k +benefits, stock options, 401k, company would pay for my MBA, 3 weeks paid vacation, etc....and turned it down because I realized that medicine is what I want to do. By the time I apply to med school, next year, I'd probably be making close to 6 figures right now. But I would not be happy.

Now I rent an apartment with 2 roomates, take classes with mostly freshman, make under 20k year, and still have med school, mountains of debt, and weekends studying to look forward to. And the crazy thing is, I cannot wait until that is my life, because it will mean that I made it, and I am in med school. (that wouldn't be a bad answer would it?)

I'm in the process now like many of you. I just keep my head down, work my a** off, get as much experience as I can, meet as many contacts as possible, etc, etc.

One thing I cannot stress enough, and I am directing this at myself too, is do not dwell on the past. What's done is done. Learn from it, kick butt now, and never, never give up. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you, just do well NOW!

One more note/question. If God-willing I get some interviews, part of me hopes they ask me about my undergrad gpa and why I would even bother trying for med school anyway, and not get persue another career. I think I would tell them the story about how I got hired to work at my city's stock exchange, starting at about 40k +benefits, stock options, 401k, company would pay for my MBA, 3 weeks paid vacation, etc....and turned it down because I realized that medicine is what I want to do. By the time I apply to med school, next year, I'd probably be making close to 6 figures right now. But I would not be happy.

Now I rent an apartment with 2 roomates, take classes with mostly freshman, make under 20k year, and still have med school, mountains of debt, and weekends studying to look forward to. And the crazy thing is, I cannot wait until that is my life, because it will mean that I made it, and I am in med school. (that wouldn't be a bad answer would it?)

Good **** faze2. I share the same attitude. Frankly, I disagree with the prevailing nontrad ethos of caution that permeates the advice given to the low-undergrad-gpa underdogs here. If you've got a low gpa you'll hear all kinds of: go DO or go home, Have a solid back up plan (read--admit failure before you even start), "I know this guy who can get you great deals on Carribean flights...", all the way to the at least honest...."You Suck!"

If you spend enough time listening to these types of things you may just start to believe it and you might be afraid to put your cards on the table.

Now I and you will be condemned as fundamentalist nutjobs who sacrifice premed competitors and our own futures to the Gods of Adcom. But for me or anybody else who's an underdog caution is the straw that breaks the camels back. It takes guts to look other people in the eye, confident that you can do this. And I really agree with you about how that effects your ability to make contacts.

Reactions: 1 users
I got into 1 MD school, 2 DO schools, and waitlisted at 1 MD school all with a 3.0 GPA (albeit from a top 10-20 university, not sure if that was a factor in their decision or not).

Wow, its like reading a slightly different version of my own story, and I couldn't agree more with what you said.

I left the family business (mine to take over if I wanted to), in the process of selling my home (and moving back into an apartment with my wife), and currently about to finish my first semester towards a 2nd BS in Bio. w/ a 4.0(first BS in 2004 in Marketing w/ a 2.crap).

I will persist and prevail.

And let me tell you, I will party and celebrate more vivaciously when I get accepted to med school than when I graduate med school. For 2 reasons: I will have made it, and I will never have to dwell on my mistakes made during my UG again. And having learned responsibilty for my actions and to Always! do my absolute best in all of my endeavors (the Eagle Scout in me).

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied three years now with a low GPA for Med school. 2.9 first time around and after two years of undergrad classes it was up to a 3.01. I also went to graduate school, but not for reasons pertaining to getting into med school. I had a 3.65 in grad school and got a Masters. Did well on the MCAT and still had no luck until this year. Broke the 3.0 barrier and was accepted to 2 DO schools and an 1 MD school. Don't give up!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied three years now with a low GPA for Med school. 2.9 first time around and after two years of undergrad classes it was up to a 3.01. I also went to graduate school, but not for reasons pertaining to getting into med school. I had a 3.65 in grad school and got a Masters. Did well on the MCAT and still had no luck until this year. Broke the 3.0 barrier and was accepted to 2 DO schools and an 1 MD school. Don't give up!

Do you think that 3.0 mark is the one you really have to get over for admissions boards to even look at your app, or does it depend on the school?

Do you think that 3.0 mark is the one you really have to get over for admissions boards to even look at your app, or does it depend on the school?

Yeah, I think 3.0 is definitely a point you have to reach to prevent the auto screen.

I'd even say for most schools the readers would probably screen even higher. I was reading the adcoms' responses in the mentor forum and one them implied that they need to see around a 3.4 to read further in most cases. The MSAR data seem so bear out this anecdotal evidence as the curve for accepted applicants gets extremely steep as the pool dips below 3.4.

We have to face reality as well as maintain the courage to step up to the plate. I plan on getting as close to a 3.4 as I can before rolling the dice big and going forward with all back up plans in one season--2008-2009, I think at this point.

I am. But it required a Herculean effort sustained over many years, and many application cycles, to convince a school to 'take a chance' on me.

Take heart in that you're doing something that very few people have cojones (or female equivalent) to do: following your dreams.

I was told that is the usual benchmark, but I did receive interviews the two years I was below 3.0. No acceptance though.

I graduated this past May with a BS in Biology. I had a final cummulative gpa of 3.14 and a GPA of 2.90 in my major. It has always been my goal to go to medical school but like many others this goal has been hindered by a lack of motivation my freshman and sophmore years. Although I had a weak start I finished my last 4 semesters with GPAs of 3.2, 3.4, 3.7, and 4.0. I did research with one of my professors my senior year and had the article published in an undergraduate research journal. I also have some volunteer and job shadowing hours with some doctors and PA's at some local hospitals. I am currently working for a biopharmaceutical company and they will pay for me to go to school part time to get my masters degree. I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I go back to school part time to get my masters in biochem or something and hope that will help me get into med school? Should I quit my job and go back to school full time to do a postbacc program or masters program? I could def. use some advice from someone with experience. Please and thank you.

I graduated this past May with a BS in Biology. I had a final cummulative gpa of 3.14 and a GPA of 2.90 in my major. It has always been my goal to go to medical school but like many others this goal has been hindered by a lack of motivation my freshman and sophmore years. Although I had a weak start I finished my last 4 semesters with GPAs of 3.2, 3.4, 3.7, and 4.0. I did research with one of my professors my senior year and had the article published in an undergraduate research journal. I also have some volunteer and job shadowing hours with some doctors and PA's at some local hospitals. I am currently working for a biopharmaceutical company and they will pay for me to go to school part time to get my masters degree. I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I go back to school part time to get my masters in biochem or something and hope that will help me get into med school? Should I quit my job and go back to school full time to do a postbacc program or masters program? I could def. use some advice from someone with experience. Please and thank you.

Wow, we are like identical twins...got the same undergrad gpa, work for a pharm co...however i have masters already and got a 3.78. 33 on mcat. Those who i've talked to about my chances are very optimistic though I'm just about to start applying.

what did you get your masters degree in?

3.17 UG cum GPA and a 3.9 with a MS in Bio... 3.9 in medical school (MD)

30Q and 31Q MCATs (4 years apart)

Why does your status say medical student, if you're not in medical school?

Did you take any post-bacc undergraduate courses to raise your overall uGPA? From what I understand, when medical schools publish their incoming class GPA, they publish the overall undergraduate GPA (which includes post bacc and undergrad). I didn't do well in my undergraduate courses (3.16 GPA), but then I took a lot of undergraduate upper level Bio courses after I graduated (4.0). I calculated my overall undergraduate GPA ( which includes post bacc undergraduate courses) to be 3.45. I also have my Masters too with a 3.9 GPA. Will medical schools consider both the new calculated undergraduate GPA or only the one set of undergraduate GPA (3.16)?

What medical schools want to see is your being able to handle upper level work. It seems as though you have done that. My one question for you is, what was your Master's in?

In addition, the UG GPA and the Masters GPA are calculated separately I believe. When you enter the data into the application, it will ask you if it was post bacc, graduate, or undergraduate.

Define low? cGPA of 3.37 and sGPA of 3.27 low?

Last edited:
Isn't taking additional classes to boost GPA an option.. ?