What about the best admissions staffs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsoon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying next year and I'm really getting a lot of great information from this forum. Thanks! I just read through the bad admissions staff thread and I was wondering if you had opinions on good admissions staffs? I called Penn and Yale last week and even though they were really busy, they took the time to answer my questions about pre-requisites. I'll definitely be applying to those schools (among others).

Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be applying next year and I'm really getting a lot of great information from this forum. Thanks! I just read through the bad admissions staff thread and I was wondering if you had opinions on good admissions staffs? I called Penn and Yale last week and even though they were really busy, they took the time to answer my questions about pre-requisites. I'll definitely be applying to those schools (among others).

Just curious...

Case.
They're fabulous.

Just curious...

Penn, Dartmouth, and Brown were the standouts for me, although most schools were nice/helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC irvine really gave the most useful information during the application process to me...

Tufts, BU, and Baylor were the least accomodating

UVM and Feinberg have really nice admissions staff:love:

jane at mayo is the sweetest lady i have ever talked to!

SUNY Buffalo - Mr. Rosso is great.

Wayne - the whole process with them seems organized and is pretty timely and I'm just not saying that.

NJMS - the lady who answers the phone is pretty informative and helpful.

I was very pleased with Pitt, Duke, and Vanderbilt's admissions staffs.

University of Michigan has the BEST admissions staff and overall process by FAR. Ask any applicant--their 100% transparency, excellent communication, and online stats tracker make applying there a pleasure.

of the ones i actually contacted..

Emroy was definetly the nicest and most helpful: they make everything clear and straightforward and are very pleasant to talk to!

And U Maryland have nice staff too :)

Penn State was by far the friendliest place I have ever visited...everyone went out of their way to be extra nice to you. Amber reminded me of Autumn Reeser...

Second place goes to Mr. Russo at UB - only because of his funny comments during the tour. Walk near him, he talks to himself the whole time...hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree about Vandy, everyone there was nice to me even after getting waitlisted.

Throw in a vote for Pritzker (UChicago), at least if you're admitted. The directors and I practically have a running email conversation and they're fantastic. Also, the financial aid people (who work in the same office) respond to emails very quickly. A+

I had great experiences with NJMS and Albany, though Albany seems to overcompensate with friendly admissions to overshadow dilapidated surroundings.

Penn State was by far the friendliest place I have ever visited...everyone went out of their way to be extra nice to you. Amber reminded me of Autumn Reeser...

I'll second Penn State. I got stuck in the blizzard on Feb. 14th, and they were super-helpful with my schedule and rescheduling the interview ASAP, gave lots of great suggestions on where to stay, and were just really, really nice. And that was before I even got there. Amber is really sweet, and everyone was incredibly nice.

But then, Hershey just struck me as a really nice place to begin with :)

And I will 3rd Penn State. Awesome staff.

I actually had a terrible experience with NJMS

jane at mayo is the sweetest lady i have ever talked to!

Jane:thumbup: She is the most helpful person I have spoken with at any school. She is more than happy to answer your questions no matter how dumb they may be, and gives you all the information she has. She also responds to every email promptly and is just as nice in person. Seriously, we should send her flowers when this is all over :)

One more vote for Michigan's staff!!

I second Albany. The admissions staff has been nothing but sweet and helpful.

Even though they appeared in the worst admissions staff thread, I vote for Ohio State. They answered all of my emails promptly and were very courteous whenever I had any questions. I sent them an update letter several months ago and they sent me an email soon after saying they received it and it would be placed in my file (very few other schools did this). I also talked to Dr. Batisky when he came to visit my school and he was one of the nicest deans of admissions I have talked to. Unfortunately they still didn't offer me an interview. Jerks. I hope Georgetown wins.

UCSF. I think i have a crush on wofsy... don't tell my boyfriend.

I second UVM. The whole team there is great, especially Mary.

I too think the UVM team were great whenever I called. ya especially mary.

Others schools that had a great personal touch were Vandy and Albany.

All the other admin staff seem robotic to me...

I like the Loyola admissions office because they told me over the phone that I was rejected (pre-interview). None of that "your decision is in the mail" crap. :rolleyes:

UT-Houston - the people are so sweet it's ridiculous.

Duke - Erin and Richard Wallace... need I say more?

I'll have to agree that Mr. Rosso at Buffalo is quite a character.

These two schools have rejected me so I'm not entirely happy with the people that made the decision, but:

Judy Nolke at Mizzou has been really nice and helpful over my 3 application cycles

I heard some people complaining, but personally, I had positive experiences with the EVMS admissions office staff during my waitlist drama last year and the year before.

And on the DO side...

UNECOM
DMU
CCOM

Their office staffs all get a nod.

Judy Nolke at Mizzou has been really nice and helpful over my 3 application cycles.

Judy just retired. She was pretty great. They replaced her with someone who, IMHO, is not so much. She was one of the pre-med advisors at the Honors College on campus, where she performed interviews for the committee LORs, and a lot of people in my department felt like she didn't really give full credit to anyone who wasn't in the College of Arts and Sciences.

I second Chicago they are awesome...I too have a running email convo going with them

I agree about Vandy, everyone there was nice to me even after getting waitlisted.

Throw in a vote for Pritzker (UChicago), at least if you're admitted. The directors and I practically have a running email conversation and they're fantastic. Also, the financial aid people (who work in the same office) respond to emails very quickly. A+

Case.
They're fabulous.

Agreed. And CCLCM as well. I ended withdrawing but they were both great about co-ordinating interviews and answering questions. They even called me once to update me.

Throw in a vote for Pritzker (UChicago), at least if you're admitted. The directors and I practically have a running email conversation and they're fantastic.

I would vote for them too. They were really friendly on interview day, call to let you know your status and are very clear about things.

For me:

Penn State admissions was the best.
Dartmouth was also right up there.

USF was great! Everytime I called (hopefully not too much) someone always took the time to talk to me and answer questions. They were all very helpful and informative.

I'll second Penn State. I got stuck in the blizzard on Feb. 14th, and they were super-helpful with my schedule and rescheduling the interview ASAP, gave lots of great suggestions on where to stay, and were just really, really nice. And that was before I even got there. Amber is really sweet, and everyone was incredibly nice.

But then, Hershey just struck me as a really nice place to begin with :)

Agreed. Penn State was amazing... the associate dean of admissions, Mr. Lubbers was the most down to earth guy, I was even cracking jokes with him on my interview day. It seems Penn State is clearly winning in the nice admissions office tally!

WashU was very nice. They scheduled both of my interviews in the morning to give me time to get to the airport, booked a 4th-year student as tour guide expressly for me outside the regular tour times, and slotted for me an 1-on-1 financial aid session because, in their words, "there's no point making you sitting through the financial aid session with American students when most of those stuff don't apply to you".
And I loved the lunch!

Just curious...

In Canada - McGill! They have a system as fast as America. Apply, Jan15, interview invite: Feb, interview: March, decision: early April. Granted, they do it a little late, but its as good as it gets here. And their staff have been really nice, in phone calls, emails etc.:thumbup:

Mr Rosso at UB is great. Always very helpful and cheerful. Gets back to email right away, gives good advice, etc.

Ok, check this out. My car broke down on the way to my interview at SF. It broke down 150 miles away on I-5. I was stranded at 11 at night the day before my interview. I got a friend to pick me up and drive me all the way back to SF. Then during the break after the morning session of the interview, I was talking on the phone to my brother trying to get him to pick me up and one of the admissions members was listening in. The whole admissions team at UCSF like jumped out of their seats trying to find the nearest garage that would carry the part I needed. I didn't want them to help, but they were so nice (and forceful) that I couldn't say no. Then, as they are calling around, dean Wofsy comes in and he gets the scoop from one of the other ladies and offers to go to Kragen to get me the part! I said something like "Oh no, please, I'll just get a cab when the day is over blah blah blah". But they insisted. They were practically begging me to let them help. I couldn't refuse, dean wofsy came back like 3 times to let me know that it really wasn't out of his way. I eventually caved in and gave him the money to get it. Then, when the day was over, all the interviewees were talking amongst ourselves and dean wofsy comes in and hands me the part I needed. Man, the look on the other interviewee's faces was priceless. I was like " Yeah, me'n the dean are in tight". I felt so bad at the time, but I still got in so yeah, UCSF has the best admissions staff. Hands down. :thumbup:

I had a really good experience with the people at LSUNO. Paulette was nice enough to answer my many questions I had about the welcome packet that I got yesterday (some of the forms weren't too clear). She and everyone else in the office that I've spoken with seem to go out of their way to help prospective, and newly accepted students.

Ok, check this out. My car broke down on the way to my interview at SF. It broke down 150 miles away on I-5. I was stranded at 11 at night the day before my interview. I got a friend to pick me up and drive me all the way back to SF. Then during the break after the morning session of the interview, I was talking on the phone to my brother trying to get him to pick me up and one of the admissions members was listening in. The whole admissions team at UCSF like jumped out of their seats trying to find the nearest garage that would carry the part I needed. I didn't want them to help, but they were so nice (and forceful) that I couldn't say no. Then, as they are calling around, dean Wofsy comes in and he gets the scoop from one of the other ladies and offers to go to Kragen to get me the part! I said something like "Oh no, please, I'll just get a cab when the day is over blah blah blah". But they insisted. They were practically begging me to let them help. I couldn't refuse, dean wofsy came back like 3 times to let me know that it really wasn't out of his way. I eventually caved in and gave him the money to get it. Then, when the day was over, all the interviewees were talking amongst ourselves and dean wofsy comes in and hands me the part I needed. Man, the look on the other interviewee's faces was priceless. I was like " Yeah, me'n the dean are in tight". I felt so bad at the time, but I still got in so yeah, UCSF has the best admissions staff. Hands down. :thumbup:

awesome!

warm and fuzzy admission deans/directors/staffers during interview day:

* UCSF - I'd like to see someone beat Wofsy's pep talk A+
* Pritzker U Chicago - Let's take a group picture and give you a copy! A+

SF and Chicago, I give you both a gold star and extra credit points!

i agree Mr. Rosso at UB is awesome...
I also vote for SLU b/c they were always kind and patient with my questions, and Dr. Willmore couldn't have been nicer! :love:

OK.....UCSF wins. :thumbup:

Erica Black at Emory, Ellen Rosenblum at Case, JoVan Kearse at Vandy, and Lisa Wick at Pitt are absolutely some of the nicest, most efficient, enthusiastic admissions support staff I've met.

I third (fourth? fifth?) the vote for Michigan, for all the reasons listed. They really know how to make you feel loved. Honestly, none of the schools I interviewed at had a bad admissions staff... although some of the schools that didn't interview me were not so nice about it. But maybe I'm just being bitter.

UT-Memphis's staff is great. Diane Harris is the sweetest person in the world.

I definitely agree with this. Mrs. Harris is unbelievablely helpful and Nelson Strother is great.