Posters, presentations, publications.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Is there a spot on the AMCAS for posters and presentations (as distinct from publications)?

- Is there a spot for abstracts submitted to conferences? Is this combined with the above?

- If you present a poster and it goes on to be published, do you enter it as both a publication and as a poster?

- I built a computer model of disease progression that was used as the basis for a publication (for which I'll be third author). The co-authors want me to lead-author a paper on how I built the model. Will anyone on adcomms care about something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

-
- If you present a poster and it goes on to be published, do you enter it as both a publication and as a poster?

I don't think it's regarded positively if you list the same publication twice in this way. I would list it once and then if you want maybe add a parenthetical in the same entry indicating (publication and poster presentation). That's how I handled it. But I defer to opinions of folks who have done more research.

I agree with Law2Doc. In regards to your last question, I would only mention being a first author if you actually have a paper that was published and you were first author. Not something that you are in the process of doing which could result in rejection, accept with revisions or fully accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about if you have an article that's accepted for publication but hasn't been printed yet? can you get credit for that on the amcas?

what about if you have an article that's accepted for publication but hasn't been printed yet? can you get credit for that on the amcas?

Or if its already on the web, use that too. Some journals provide access before its actually a hardcopy. I think its called "EPub access" or something. But for the most part, just go with "in press" as Haemulon said up there. By the time they read your application, it should be available on pubmed anyway if its in a reputable journal.

Keep in mind that the actual application process takes a year, so even if everything doesn't get into your initial amcas submission, there are plenty of opportunities to get the information into your file down the road. in fact, it can be nice to have stuff on the backburner to be able to send "interest letters" disguised as or combined with "update letters." so keep on producing ...

but wait ... you're not applying this year, right? your stuff should be published already by the time you apply.

- I built a computer model of disease progression that was used as the basis for a publication (for which I'll be third author). The co-authors want me to lead-author a paper on how I built the model. Will anyone on adcomms care about something like this?

Yes, absolutely get this submitted. A lead authorship is worth soooooo much more than a 3rd authorship. I'd say, depending on the journals, a lead authorship is worth, like, 15 3rd authorships. Do it!

I totally agree with what has been said so far. A first Authorship on a publication is huge, I lost one to a co-worker for a second authorship and have regreted it since. When people site your paper it will be "Your Last Name Et Al 2006" which, aside from looking good on your curriculum vitae is pretty damn cool. :thumbup:

Got 4 topics that could relate to this thread (sorry I'm new so have a lot of pent up questions):

1) I've got 5 different abstracts/poster presentations at 5 different conferences on neural stem cells. Their titles are all pretty similar, and the background similar since they are all on the same project. I don't want to combine them because they are entirely different events and they also really increase the ummph of my strong research background. But I've run out of room with the new limit 15 experiences for the Application. I don't know if this is anything more than a tough choice between a new experience and combining two abstracts to make room or just ditch the new experience.

2) 4 of the abstracts I was not present for because my PI couldn't afford to send me and also I was not an employee at that Time, despite the fact that I was first author. Do I bother mentioning this fact in the description or just let them assume I was present at the conference?

3) when writting the descriptions of the experiences is it best to include the reference as if it were a in a bibliography? Is it also Good to include a more detailed explanation of the project (in lamens terms for the adcoms)?

4)I've also got a publication that has been conditionally accepted by a journal; Should I clarify that it is in press? Should I also include a project description/take away message for the adcoms?

I have a very similar question so I hope it is OK if I tack it on here.

I also have published abstracts and posters at three different conferences with very similar titles. At this point, my AMCAS application just lists the four different conferences I have been to under one single activity and then next to the three with abstracts, I just wrote 'published abstract and poster presentation'. Is this good enough? I didn't write any titles or anything bc I really don't know how much adcoms care about mass spec method development of environmental contaminants. I don't know.

Thanks for any responses.

Bump. Anyone please!

I have a very similar question so I hope it is OK if I tack it on here.

I also have published abstracts and posters at three different conferences with very similar titles. At this point, my AMCAS application just lists the four different conferences I have been to under one single activity and then next to the three with abstracts, I just wrote 'published abstract and poster presentation'. Is this good enough? I didn't write any titles or anything bc I really don't know how much adcoms care about mass spec method development of environmental contaminants. I don't know.

Thanks for any responses.
I would list published abstracts separately, unless you're running up against your limit of ECs, in which you may wish to group them (never show depth at the expense of breadth).

If you have a poster, abstract, whatever, that later became a journal article, then take the "highest level of pub" and list the content as that only. For example, if the abstract of a poster presented at a conference was later published in the conference proceedings, I would list it as one item: a published abstract. If your PI and you wrote it up later as part of a full-fledged journal article, then I would list it as a journal article. As always, if there's a Pubmed reference or similar, PUT THAT IN AMCAS.

With similar titles, I didn't have trouble with that, mainly because each item covered different material. If you can't in good conscience say that the different articles were different, then group them.

Most of my thoughts on research ECs can be found here.

Thank you. I didn't really realize it mattered how many different types of ECS there are in terms of how they are viewd. I'm struggling right now to get down to fifteen so I kind of have to lump the abstracts and posters presentations in with conferences. I guess I should go look up the actual titles and other info though if I'm reading correctly what you have said.

Ya know this is an interesting topic. I will definitely run out of room on the AMCAS application in terms of pubs. However my PI's letter of rec actually attaches my pubs to the back. I wonder how that would be handled? Our pre-health committee here seems to be OK with it. Has anyone had this done before where a letter writer essentially attaches your CV to their letter?

Ya know this is an interesting topic. I will definitely run out of room on the AMCAS application in terms of pubs. However my PI's letter of rec actually attaches my pubs to the back. I wonder how that would be handled? Our pre-health committee here seems to be OK with it. Has anyone had this done before where a letter writer essentially attaches your CV to their letter?
No. I don't understand why they would do that. :confused: I did give my recommenders a copy of my CV, but it was to help them write the letter, not to send along with the letter.

For those of you asking how to document pubs/posters/etc., what I did was to group them based by project. I did an UG honors thesis, a Masters, a research tech job, a PhD, and a side clinical research project with a physician. So I used the honors thesis (and everything associated with it) as one EC, the MS research (and everything with it) as a second, and my PhD research as a third. I had one paper accepted from my dissertation but not yet published when I applied, and like someone already said, you can just say "in press" or "accepted for publication" along with the journal name. I didn't put the clinical research project as an EC because I talked quite a bit about it in my PS; it was one of the things that convinced me that I should go to med school. So I had three research ECs from school plus a fourth for my research job. That was a very cool EC because of the things I had to do and the places I had to go to get the data; I *always* got asked about this one at interviews. :p

relentless, if space for ECs is a problem, you might want to write about some of your research in the PS and/or organize your work by projects to free up some EC space. Just a thought.

Yeh thnks for All the input. I think that i'll be combining my hobbies into a single catagory titled: Hobbies; and I'll be combining my teaching experiences together to keep room for my abstracts.

Ya know I really like having a separate forum for the Non-trads. The vibe in here is more mellow and less frantic as in the other Pre-allo forum, there is alot less fluff, and the types of questions over here tend to be more, yup you guessed it: geared for Nontrad.

huh, go figure:smuggrin::smuggrin::D:D

...I didn't really realize it mattered how many different types of ECS there are in terms of how they are viewd...
When you open up your AMCAS, you'll see the pull-down menu for category of EC, and you'll see there's a bunch. Even ones for musical composition :confused:
...I'm struggling right now to get down to fifteen so I kind of have to lump the abstracts and posters presentations in with conferences. I guess I should go look up the actual titles and other info though if I'm reading correctly what you have said.
If you have one, having a reference you can look up on pubmed is great. It is a no-brainer to put the ref at the end of the essay when you describe the project. It only takes a couple of sentences to say:

"This work was published as: Doe, Jane, et al, Properties of Stuff That Does Things, Amer J Doohick, 1:1;200."

The reviewer (after whatever GPA/MCAT screen they use) can look it up in <30 sec from their desk. No-brainer.