Non trad (family of 4) do loans cover expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIGATT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IF my husband is accepted then financially I'm just not sure how it'll work. How do other non-trads with families do it? What is the total loan amount you were able to get?

We're hoping for Davis, praying for Davis and waiting for Davis to show us some looooove. :0) At the same time, i'm afraid of what will happen financially- i just need to know that our needs (not wants) will be covered. I"m focusing purly on this budget.

Tuition/school expenses: whatever it is at Davis
Rent: 1,400/mo
food: 600/month
health insurance: hopefully!!!

Did your loans cover this amount???

I'm not worried about budgeting. We're not the kind to overspend-we live within our means always and actaully, for the past 6 years we've been able to survive off of 12k a year...of course, we didn't have health insurance or ability to go to the Dr either!...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to sound rude, but how can you survive off $12k/yr when the costs that you are projecting are $24k/yr, double that?

I don't mean to sound rude, but how can you survive off $12k/yr when the costs that you are projecting are $24k/yr, double that?

Thats a valid question but what i meant was that in the past (before medical school was a consideration) we were both in school and we supported our family off of the remants of our student loans which amounted to 12 thousand dollars. My point in mentioning that was simply to illustrate our ability to live with very little monetary support.

My question at this time is: Will loans give us the ability to pay for medical school and enable us to cover our living expenses? How much of the loan money is left over after school expenses are paid?

:0)

Thats a valid question but what i meant was that in the past (before medical school was a consideration) we were both in school and we supported our family off of the remants of our student loans which amounted to 12 thousand dollars. My point in mentioning that was simply to illustrate our ability to live with very little monetary support.

My question at this time is: Will loans give us the ability to pay for medical school and enable us to cover our living expenses? How much of the loan money is left over after school expenses are paid?

:0)

You can only take federal loans up to the cost of attendance, as determined by the school. The website below has the cost of attendance.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/finaid/MD-SEB-0708.pdf

It looks like they budget about $16500 a year for house/food/personal/transportation expenses. So, you can cover that much in federal loans. If you need more than that, there are private loans, but those are going to have higher interest rates. The loans are out there, the only question is how costly they'll be. Good luck