***The Official Rules of the Pre-Dental Forum***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEAR YE HEAR YE. FROM THIS DATE FORWARD, THESE WILL BE FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES THE MOST OFFICIAL OF RULES OF YE DENTAL FORUM.
0. Above all else, this is an anonymous internet forum. Anonymity brings out the worst in people, even pre-dents, so don't expect anyone to be anything but a bastard coated bastard with a creamy bastard center. DO NOT MAKE "Why can't we all just get along?!?" posts, or you will be flamed off of the board.
0a. In the future, when someone points out that all we do is popintlessly argue, bicker and make fun of each other, simply reply "Rule 0 n00b" and leave it at that.

1. Stars = Official. More stars = more official.

2. I don't care what your question is, it has been asked before.

2a. If you ask the difference between a DDS and a DMD, you deserve what you get. I don't care if you've never heard of the internet before today.

3. You're not as special as you think. Your 3.7 and 22aa are just as good as the guy who posted the same stats 3 minutes ago, even though you have 7 more shadowing hours then him.

4. NYU vs. USC and NYU vs. BU are functionally the exact same thread.
4a. Actually, don't post vs. threads in the first place. If you can't make a decision as important as this on your own, maybe you shouldn't be a dentist.

5. I don't care if someone misspells things constantly,doesn't like playing the flute, doesn't like ochem or whatever, don't try to tell them because of that they shouldn't become a dentist.

6. Pre-dents know more then actual dents. It's a proven fact.

7. Statistics are worthless when you can just wildly conjecture.

8. You can't specialize if you don't go to an Ivy league school.

9. Everyone wants to do ortho. Not everyone can. You probably won't.

10. Everyone wants to do OS. Not everyone can. You probably won't.

11. No one wants to do endo. They probably should.

12. It's all about the money.

13. It's never about the money.

14. Go to the cheapest school or you will be derided.

15. Go to the Ivy league school or you will be derided.

16. If the title or first post of your thread involves any non-whit, non-asian nationality, the thread will degenerate into a discussion about affirmative action. No exceptions

17. you can always expect me to link to something interesting

18. people don't answer 'why dentistry?' questions because they are so competitive they think their answer will give someone else the edge

19. your scores are meaningless and acceptances are based on random dart throws to a wall of applicants on 3 x 5 cards. so when you go to class on the first day and think your sweet for having a 23, remember the guy next to you probably got a 17 and will most likely end up becoming the orthodontist you wanted to be. (see rule 9)

20. If your avatar isn't cool, your post will probably suck.

22. Who ever wins the "oldest and/or the most untraditional applicant" of each cycle gets a cookie and a pat on the bum.

23. SDN is 100% anonymous, so go ahead and pick that fight!

24. If you complain about something, don't expect sympathy. This is especially true for disgruntled dental students.

25. Despite what logic might tell you, all schools are equal and the only factor that matters is their cost.

26. If you have a GPA above 3.5 and DAT above 22, you are owed a spot in dental school and if you didn't get in it must be because someone else stole your spot through affirmative action or family connections.

27. realize that people with stats like this do get into dental school

28. You're insecure, we know. Take it to a therapist, not a pre-health forum

#28. Everyone wants to be a moderator.

#29 Respect is not gained through intellect and logic; it is gained through sarcasm, smugness, and blanket-statements.

31. Don't overplay your intelligence when you have a 2.99 GPA from a community college, even if you had a lucky day on the DAT

30) Since you have a 4.89 GPA as a high school senior, you're a shoo-in for not only dental school but ortho residency as well. Its not a matter of IF, but rather WHEN

31. If thou claims that thou has performed a search for thou question and the result is "nary a thread that is relevent," thou hast not truly performed a search because thou question has already been asked. Guaranteed.

32. Intelligent questions pondering the future of dentistry may only be asked in the predent forum because dents are idiots and sound way too cynical anyway

33. If someone has not fallen for a prank or taken a sarcastic comment literally 5 posts after it has happened, the 6th poster must fall for it, even though everyone else got it already. If that is you, take the fall.

34. Anecdotal evidence = proof beyond a reasonable doubt
34a. "A guy I know" is a statistically significant sample size.
34b. It is well known that 74.2% of statistics on this form are made up on the spot.

35. If you've been lurking out there for a while, you should join SDN now just because this thread is so awesome!!

36. If you tell people that you plan on modelling to put yourself through dental school, know that pictures WILL BE requested.

37. If you want to have a chance of getting an interview somewhere, you MUST take the DAT BEFORE August 16 at 3:19pm and 52 seconds, Eastern Daylight Time. If the DAT has not been completed and your unofficial score report printed by exactly that time, dental schools cannot finish reviewing your application in time for first round interviews and will throw your file in the garbage.

38. The "official" dental school ranking is as follows:

1) Harvard
2) Columbia
3) Penn

Who cares about the rest, they are not ivy and cannot possibly be worth your time and money.

39. If you are a freshmen and have a poor GPA, you have time to bring it up, asking people on SDN does not make everything better. Heres a hint; hard work.

40. The key to a succesful and fun undergrad exerience is as follows, 1 part hard work, 1 part family, 1 part beer and friends.

41. I really don't care if you are 15 and really want to be an orthodontist, because you have been in braces for the past 3 years.

42. 42 is always the answer.

43. Everyone and their mothers that got into dental school went to a community college at some point and they got in. So go ahead and go to a CC, you can still get in. Even though you have more fun at a 4 year college.

44. Dentists ARE much cooler than MDs, it's a proven fact. Sorry if you made the wrong decision

45. Never question the Cheerio King.

46. If you get through dental school and make less than 500K per year, you absolutely suck at life.

47. You won't get a 27/27/27 on the DAT unless you use DAT destroyer.
47a. DAT DESTROYER IS THE GREATEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN BY A MORTAL MAN. I REALIZE THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THE FORUM BUT I PROMISE YOU CAN REALLY TRUST THAT THIS IS NOT AN ACCOUNT MADE BY DR. ROMANO. WWW.ORGOMAN.COM YOU WILL BE IN DENTAL SCHOOL IN NO TIME CHECK OUT MY REFERR...er DR. ROMANOS REFERRALS SECTION YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED!!!

48. Sarcasm doesn't fit through intertubes.

49. Don't ask questions and expect them to be answered by the OP if the thread is a year old or older

50. Dental schools admit students on a first come, first served basis. If you aren't one of the first 4,600 applicants to click submit, you won't get in no matter what your grades, DAT scores or volunteer experiences are.

51. Just because a class has -ology at the end of it does not make it a part of your BCP or science GPA.

52. The dental school website with a cool layout means they're well funded. Therefore, those schools are better than schools with crappy websites.

53.Your dental school is cool ONLY if there is a facebook group for it.

That's all I have for now, feel free to add more

Members don't see this ad.

this should be a sticky

Don't listen to anyone without at least 1,000 posts.

Posts on SDN and intelligence are directly proportional.

Oh, and there are mormons at every dental school, don't ask which schools have mormons because they all do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one!

- I don't know what your chances are of getting in to X, Y, Z school.

Your chance of getting into dental school is 38.309673±0.2487236%

I seconded the sticky motion.

16. If the title or first post of your thread involves any non-whit, non-asian nationality, the thread will degenerate into a discussion about affirmative action. No exceptions.

Silly mormons. They're everywhere.

Just because you're 0.05% of some type of ethnic minority doesn't make you a minority...or does it?

If you are international, you have NO chance of getting into a state school.
If you're waitlisted, better luck next year :(
"Write the DAT" = "Take the DAT"
PBL is the worst thing in the world
If you don't get > 25 on reading comprehension, you cannot read
GPA and DAT scores are the most important things in the world
If you ask SDN'ers to post their stats instead of looking up http://predents.com, you are lazy and should not be a dentist

16. don't ever question the cheerio king
17. you can always expect me to link to something interesting
18. people don't answer 'why dentistry?' questions because they are so competitive they think their answer will give someone else the edge
19. your scores are meaningless and acceptances are based on random dart throws to a wall of applicants on 3 x 5 cards. so when you go to class on the first day and think your sweet for having a 23, remember the guy next to you probably got a 17 and will most likely end up becoming the orthodontist you wanted to be. (see rule 9)

20. If your avatar isn't cool, your post will probably suck.

21. Applying for admission to dental schools with only 3 years undergrad is a good plan.
22. Who ever wins the "oldest and/or the most untraditional applicant" of each cycle gets a cookie and a pat on the bum.

Members don't see this ad :)
23. SDN is 100% anonymous, so go ahead and pick that fight!
24. If you complain about something, don't expect sympathy. This is especially true for disgruntled dental students.
25. Despite what logic might tell you, all schools are equal and the only factor that matters is their cost.
26. If you have a GPA above 3.5 and DAT above 22, you are owed a spot in dental school and if you didn't get in it must be because someone else stole your spot through affirmative action or family connections.

1) Don't overplay your intelligence when you have a 2.99 GPA from a community college, even if you had a lucky day on the DAT.

Is that true for each school, or does only the oldest and/or most untraditional applicant among all 4500 of us get the cookie and pat on the bum? Are there 56 cookies or just one?

1) Don't overplay your intelligence when you have a 2.99 GPA from a community college, even if you had a lucky day on the DAT.

because it's dental school. Where it's okay to not be able to get into to a 4th tier college, to have a 900 SAT, to not be able to do middle school algebra, to have a C in Orgo, to not have a college degree, and to be acknowledged by the ADA as sucking in physics (so they don't bother to test it on the DAT). And after all that, he can still have hopes to get into the prestigious Columbia University in the City of New York or even Harvard. Few other field gives less intelligent people the opportunity for success.

Dentistry, the Affirmative Action of Medicine.

For someone who thinks so highly of dentistry, you sure hang out in the pre-dent forum a lot!

because it's dental school. Where it's okay to not be able to get into to a 4th tier college, to have a 900 SAT, to not be able to do middle school algebra, to have a C in Orgo, to not have a college degree, and to be acknowledged by the ADA as sucking in physics (so they don't bother to test it on the DAT). And after all that, he can still have hopes to get into the prestigious Columbia University in the City of New York or even Harvard. Few other field gives less intelligent people the opportunity for success.

Dentistry, the Affirmative Action of Medicine.

I could quote you figures showing the average gpa to get accepted to dental school, I could even try and tell you about my situation. But I'm content with quoting this post, making sure you can't edit yours, ensuring you get the IP ban you deserve.

Later dude.

Is that true for each school, or does only the oldest and/or most untraditional applicant among all 4500 of us get the cookie and pat on the bum? Are there 56 cookies or just one?
Good question. The winner of all applicants will get a large cookie cake whereas each school's winner will get a Cookie Crisp cookie.

Co-Ooookie Crisp!:D

If you are international, you have NO chance of getting into a state school.
If you're waitlisted, better luck next year :(
"Write the DAT" = "Take the DAT"
PBL is the worst thing in the world
If you don't get > 25 on reading comprehension, you cannot read
GPA and DAT scores are the most important things in the world
If you ask SDN'ers to post their stats instead of looking up http://predents.com, you are lazy and should not be a dentist

Not true. My friend who is an international student will be attending UCSF in the fall.

Somehow, I have a feeling that you meant that sarcastically... but just in case, there's my point anyway. :)

#28. Everyone wants to be a moderator.

#29) Respect is not gained through intellect and logic; it is gained through sarcasm, smugness, and blanket-statements.

If you don't get in, reapplying is cheap and easy. Plus, you'll already know the people who interview you. Nothing could be as fun as reapplying.

If you did get in then you should turn down your acceptance to your backup school and reapply to your number one choice.

You know you're black, brown, or yellow. At least on the inside. Go ahead and check the box.

30) Since you have a 4.89 GPA as a high school senior, you're a shoo-in for not only dental school but ortho residency as well. Its not a matter of IF, but rather WHEN

Not true. My friend who is an international student will be attending UCSF in the fall.

Somehow, I have a feeling that you meant that sarcastically... but just in case, there's my point anyway. :)
Yup, definitely meant it sarcastically... as I was admitted to a state school applying from Canada :)

31. If thou claims that thou has performed a search for thou question and the result is "nary a thread that is relevent," thou hast not truly performed a search because thou question has already been asked. Guaranteed.

32. Intelligent questions pondering the future of dentistry may only be asked in the predent forum because dents are idiots and sound way too cynical anyway

33. If someone has not fallen for a prank or taken a sarcastic comment literally 5 posts after it has happened, the 6th poster must fall for it, even though everyone else got it already. If that is you, take the fall.

34. Anecdotal evidence = proof beyond a reasonable doubt

35. If you've been lurking out there for a while, you should join SDN now just because this thread is so awesome!! :bow:

36. If you tell people that you plan on modelling to put yourself through dental school, know that pictures WILL BE requested.

28. You're insecure, we know. Take it to a therapist, not a pre-health forum :thumbup:

Hahahaha!! But it's so much cheaper on here. I'm already on a steady diet of ramen and canned green beans....

37. If you want to have a chance of getting an interview somewhere, you MUST take the DAT BEFORE August 16 at 3:19pm and 52 seconds, Eastern Daylight Time. If the DAT has not been completed and your unofficial score report printed by exactly that time, dental schools cannot finish reviewing your application in time for first round interviews and will throw your file in the garbage.

38. The "official" dental school ranking is as follows:

1) Harvard
2) Columbia
3) Penn

Who cares about the rest, they are not ivy and cannot possibly be worth your time and money.

39. If you are a freshmen and have a poor GPA, you have time to bring it up, asking people on SDN does not make everything better. Heres a hint; hard work.

40. The key to a succesful and fun undergrad exerience is as follows, 1 part hard work, 1 part family, 1 part beer and friends.

41. I really don't care if you are 15 and really want to be an orthodontist, because you have been in braces for the past 3 years.

I almost forgot, rule 0:

0. Above all else, this is an anonymous internet forum. Anonymity brings out the worst in people, even pre-dents, so don't expect anyone to be anything but a bastard coated bastard with a creamy bastard center. DO NOT MAKE "Why can't we all just get along?!?" posts, or you will be flamed off of the board.

0a. In the future, when someone points out that all we do is popintlessly argue, bicker and make fun of each other, simply reply "Rule 0 n00b" and leave it at that.

a 2.9 GPA in a community college and they got in?? Who the hell did that?
I guess they are letting any joe schmoes in dental school now. What the hell was the point of getting A's then....either this person discovered the cure for cancer or daddy wrote a nice check and wipes the dean's ass at night:confused:

I guess they are letting any joe schmoes in dental school now. What the hell was the point of getting A's then....either this person discovered the cure for cancer or daddy wrote a nice check and wipes the dean's ass at night:confused:

cry me a river *insert nonexistent crying smiley*

This is awfully close to validating rule #26.