NYCOM or NOVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sister-in-law was accepted to both NYCOM and NOVA, but knows absolutely nothing about the schools (she applied to schools based on "location"....go figure).

So, in short, which is the better school? I'd imagine NYCOM, but I need to throw some facts her way, because now she cares...

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I analyzed the schools and decided to decline my NYCOM interview after I got my Nova acceptance. Thats a personal decision though and I have never visited the NYCOM campus. But I would say that if money is not a factor at all AND she wants to practice somewhere in the Northeast then I would probably choose NYCOM.

My sister-in-law was accepted to both NYCOM and NOVA, but knows absolutely nothing about the schools (she applied to schools based on "location"....go figure).

So, in short, which is the better school? I'd imagine NYCOM, but I need to throw some facts her way, because now she cares...

thanks guys

I'd tell her to compare the match lists/rotation sites between the two and see which matches her interests more. The first 2 years are the same pretty much everywhere (although you may want to see if there are different kinds of curriculum - for instance, NYCOM has a PBL program)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kuba would you still go to UMDNJ if they pulled you off of the waitlist?

I am impressed with how much you have gotten enthused about your Nova acceptance...

Have you gotten housing down there yet?

I analyzed the schools and decided to decline my NYCOM interview after I got my Nova acceptance.

lol...at Kuba.
Do you have to mention that every time you see the word "NYCOM" on SDN?
just j/k. Good luck with UMDNJ! :thumbup:

Anyway, I visited NYCOM and really liked it. With its great hospital affiliations and superb match list, NYCOM was the choice for me. The school is pretty expensive though.

As for NSU, I have no idea. Never visited there, but I've heard great things on SDN.
I would have had no problem attending NSU, but I have to stay in NY. :D

Kuba would you still go to UMDNJ if they pulled you off of the waitlist?

I am impressed with how much you have gotten enthused about your Nova acceptance...

Have you gotten housing down there yet?

Yea, im real excited about. I went for a second look and have being tons of research. As far as UMDNJ, I think its a great school. I am hopefully going to open house this Friday if I can get off work. If not, I will visit next week and then decide if I want to stay on the waitlist(and go there if I get off of it) or finalize NSU plans.

But I would say that if money is not a factor at all AND she wants to practice somewhere in the Northeast then I would probably choose NYCOM.

If you are in your 20's, the money difference between these two schools should not really be a deciding factor. You will be in practice for MANY years and have plenty of time to pay for your education. :luck:

If you are in your 20's, the money difference between these two schools should not really be a deciding factor. You will be in practice for MANY years and have plenty of time to pay for your education. :luck:

Although I would love to believe that, it is the exact opposite advice that the physicians I work with give.

Although I would love to believe that, it is the exact opposite advice that the physicians I work with give.

Well that makes a lot of sense - so you're saying that they tell you that if you are OLDER you shouldn't worry about debt but if you're younger you should?? :rolleyes:

Here's the deal that you will figure out when you are older: no matter what you go into, you are very likely to always be in debt (things like owning a house does that to you). Get used to living with it, learn how to manage it, just don't get into more than you can handle.

If you are in your 20's, you can handle the debt of medical school - you will be earning enough for long enough, to be able to not worry about the differences in prices of attending different medical schools. You are not comparing a $10k per year school vs. a $60k per year school.

i don't know about you, but 20-40k, then with interest on top of it....is a pretty big deal.

If you think it's not, you're either:

a) spoiled and never earned a penny in your life

b) Have an IQ below 80

c) :banana:

----------------------

anyways, I can't find a link for either schools match list, any help?

i don't know about you, but 20-40k, then with interest on top of it....is a pretty big deal.

b) Have an IQ below 80

----------------------

Orthodoc40 kindly gave his/her opinion and you insulted him/her just like that.
If you know so much , then why ask the question "Nova vs NYCOM" in the first place!

Think about it. If tuition cost is so important to you, then you've already made up your mind. But the fact that you started the thread and then insulted someone who offered his/her opinion is a disgrace.

Edit: his --> his/her. fixed! big deal!! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthodoc40 kindly gave his opinion and you insulted him just like that.
If you know so much , then why ask the question "Nova vs NYCOM" in the first place!

Think about it. If tuition cost is so important to you, then you've already made up your mind. But the fact that you started the thread and then insulted someone who offered his/her opinion is a disgrace.

ahem *cough* orthodoc does not have a penis *cough*

addressing the money issue... sure we CAN pay off the loans, whatever they are. But the question is: is it worth it? for then nycom vs nova case, personally I think the answer is no.

Orthodoc40 kindly gave his opinion and you insulted him just like that.

Man, I can't wait until ortho returns from her private gifted class at her family estate and eats a banana!

b) Have an IQ below 80

Man, I can't wait until ortho returns from her private gifted class at her family estate and eats a banana!

I was accepted to both, and dropped my Nova acceptance and picked NYCOM. For me, it was because I can't really stand the Florida heat. But besides that, I wasn't too enthused with the mandatory attendance at Nova, and also the dress code. It's not that big a deal, the dress code, but with all things being equal, a dress code would be a deal breaker for me. I know you can wear scrubs at NSU, but with scrubs, it's very easy to not notice you're gaining weight, so I'm not such a fan to wear them.

It really is a very personal decision, nobody else can make it for you. Both have nice campuses, and comparable match lists. Actually, another downside for me at NSU was that you have to do a rural medicine rotation, which NYCOM doesn't require. Sure ti's only one month, but it's not something I would look foward to, being a city girl.

addressing the money issue... sure we CAN pay off the loans, whatever they are.

The problem is that so many people who have never really been in debt before (two car payments, a mortgage, etc.) don't tend to look at all the variables. There are a lot of new physicians who get into a financial bind because they don't have experience managing debt before med school. Imagine this:

You're a new physician with $200,000 in school loans. You get married, buy a couple of $100,000 cars and a $500,000 house. People will be dying to give you these loans! The next thing you know, you are a million dollars in debt-- a million dollars! That's hard to pay off no matter what you make. And, you are going to want to go out and buy these things because everybody else has them.

You might be tempted to think that when the debt is that big that paying$40,000 more for a particular school isn't a big deal...but it is. That cafe latte that you bought for 5 bucks today with your school loan money is going to cost you 10 bucks (if not more) by the time you pay it back. Just don't forget about all the other long-term expenses you will incur. Including them in your thoughts today will benefit you tomorrow.

I chosed NYCOM over Nova because I live with my parents (<30 mins away from NYCOM). Nova will cost me much more. Since I also have insurance, the cost for NYCOM for me is 40 k or even less. ;)
So, it really depends on your situation.

I was not saying a few extra k is insignificant for the long run.
Just the OP's comment irritated me.

To all those people that picked NYCOM...can you tell me your reasons? I am on the waitlist for UMDNJ-SOM and got into NYCOM a while ago. Friendly advice people. Nothing really matters (money..etc). Just want to know what you think is better :)

To all those people that picked NYCOM...can you tell me your reasons? I am on the waitlist for UMDNJ-SOM and got into NYCOM a while ago. Friendly advice people. Nothing really matters (money..etc). Just want to know what you think is better :)

Besides what I mentioned above (location, 4 seasons) I also liked where they let you do rotations. I want to work in NYC when I graduate, so I figured I'd have somewhat of an advantage being able to rotate through NYC hospitals. I don't have much info on UMDNJ since I kinda forgot about their secondary and never filled it out :oops: But I liked the match list, rotation sites, location. Also, the curriculum is pretty good IMO. I kind of like the idea of systems based curriculum because it shows you how everything relates within a system. Granted, I don't have any experience with any kind of curriculum, but systems based sems like a logical way to learn medicine.

This might help you. I copided this from Huntergather's post:

"1)streamed videos
2)LOTS of opportunity for summer research and also some research available during the year.
3)academic fellows if that is your thing
4)NYCOM grads match well into specialties
5)simulated patient encounters - gets you prepared for 3rd year.
6)3rd year clerkships
7)Great anatomy and pathology department
8)It's in NYC baby!!!!!!!
9)NYCOM is actively expanding research opportunites, academic fellowships, clerkship sites, etc. every year. They also are working on a project to get NYCOM its very own teaching hospital which means more clerkships, clinical research, and residencies. I'm very excited to see what NYCOM will grow into by the time I graduate.
10)technology - NYCOM loves technology. streamed video. STAN and baby STAN
http://www.meti.com/Product_HPS.html "

you can do PBL path if you want to as well.

I am not sure about UMDNJ and Nova.

The problem is that so many people who have never really been in debt before (two car payments, a mortgage, etc.) don't tend to look at all the variables. There are a lot of new physicians who get into a financial bind because they don't have experience managing debt before med school. Imagine this:

You're a new physician with $200,000 in school loans. You get married, buy a couple of $100,000 cars and a $500,000 house. People will be dying to give you these loans! The next thing you know, you are a million dollars in debt-- a million dollars! That's hard to pay off no matter what you make. And, you are going to want to go out and buy these things because everybody else has them.

You might be tempted to think that when the debt is that big that paying$40,000 more for a particular school isn't a big deal...but it is. That cafe latte that you bought for 5 bucks today with your school loan money is going to cost you 10 bucks (if not more) by the time you pay it back. Just don't forget about all the other long-term expenses you will incur. Including them in your thoughts today will benefit you tomorrow.

anyone with $200,000 in debt and then buys 4 couple of $100,000 cars and a $500,000 house is just plain stupid. This is why most Americans ARE in debt. Pay off your bills before incurring additional major debts. You can have a $20,000 car and a starter house and do just fine. Once the bills are paid, trade up in an affordable range.

You can have a $20,000 car and a starter house and do just fine. Once the bills are paid, trade up in an affordable range.

Yeah, but it doesn't happen that way. This is America. We see what everyone else has and we want the same. When all your other colleagues have it, you'll want it. Will you have the common sense to do the right thing, or not? For far too many people the answer is "not".

This might help you. I copided this from Huntergather's post:

"1)streamed videos
2)LOTS of opportunity for summer research and also some research available during the year.
3)academic fellows if that is your thing
4)NYCOM grads match well into specialties
5)simulated patient encounters - gets you prepared for 3rd year.
6)3rd year clerkships
7)Great anatomy and pathology department
8)It's in NYC baby!!!!!!!
9)NYCOM is actively expanding research opportunites, academic fellowships, clerkship sites, etc. every year. They also are working on a project to get NYCOM its very own teaching hospital which means more clerkships, clinical research, and residencies. I'm very excited to see what NYCOM will grow into by the time I graduate.
10)technology - NYCOM loves technology. streamed video. STAN and baby STAN
http://www.meti.com/Product_HPS.html "

you can do PBL path if you want to as well.

I am not sure about UMDNJ and Nova.

Haha. LOVE it!!! Especially stan! Thanks for the input!!!:)

That's the price of a car, which most people pay off with interest in about 5 years. It isn't nothing, but it isn't worth deciding on my school choice. Maybe it is for you. There you go. You've decided where to go.

b) Have an IQ below 80

It couldn't possibly be that they might:

a) have been there before, and been very good at managing their debt so can speak from experience

b) have been there before, and been very bad at managing their debt so they figure "What's a little more?"

c) be at least as intelligent as your great wise self, be older & more experienced with debt & life than your all knowing, judgmental self, with better money management skills and different priorities & values than yours, and therefore not as worried about that difference as you are

Not any more. :smuggrin:
But clearly, someone with your IQ should be able to find them without any help, after all...

Can I bump this? Anyone with more recent experiences choosing between the two schools? I want to practice in the North East ultimately, but I fell in LOVE with Nova when I interviewed.