***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Hopefully the AACOMAS will come out early next month. It's time to start cracking out those personal statments and getting your applications ready. Let the good times roll.

(I'm really not this cheery in real life)

I am making my list of schools right, who else is having fun tonight?

Members don't see this ad.

quick question, when is considered the latest (not that it would be good but out of curiosity) for submitting an AACOMAS app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting ready to start applying this summer too! It's scary and exciting at the same time. I'll be taking the MCAT in about a month :eek:

I'll be shadowing a D.O. (surgeon) several times this summer, which I'm really excited about. I'll also be volunteering at a local hospital.

I hope to get my application done by late June/early July. I definitely want to apply early :)

I hear ya on that personal statement. I cracked out a "rough draft" this week and am going to have my advisor take a looksi. Does anybody know the character limit?

Hey everyone!

Hopefully the AACOMAS will come out early next month. It's time to start cracking out those personal statments and getting your applications ready. Let the good times roll.

Good luck on the next cycle.

I believe the length limit for the personal statement is within 5300 characters.

I heard it was less for AACOMAS... I know AMCAS is 5300 how about for DO schools?

I don't know if they changed it for this cycle but last year it was around 4700 or so characters for the personal essay. Man it's already been nearly a year since I was in the midst of the application process. Good luck with everything to everyone preparing for this cycle.

Personal Statement instructions:

Please enter a personal statement of 100 to 4500 characters on this page. You may use a text editor or word processor to write your statement but note that the character count may not exactly match the count if entered directly into the box.

Click the SAVE button to save the statement and return to the Application Checklist.

Not all colleges require the personal statement – however if you anticipate applying to any colleges that do require the personal statement, you are encouraged to complete it before submitting you application. Once an application is submitted to AACOMAS it is not possible to add a personal statement

Please enter a personal statement of 100 to 4500 characters on this page. You may use a text editor or word processor to write your statement but note that the character count may not exactly match the count if entered directly into the box.

Click the SAVE button to save the statement and return to the Application Checklist.

Not all colleges require the personal statement – however if you anticipate applying to any colleges that do require the personal statement, you are encouraged to complete it before submitting you application. Once an application is submitted to AACOMAS it is not possible to add a personal statement

Thanks for the info :)

I'm joining the thread too...lets hope this is the year for you DVN...and for all of us applying too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a year ago when all of us 2007 applicants were getting started. We had a good group with a lot of support. Hope you guys have a great group too! Good Luck:luck:

It was a year ago when all of us 2007 applicants were getting started. We had a good group with a lot of support. Hope you guys have a great group too! Good Luck:luck:

Thanks Kuba:) Maybe you could drop in time to time and give drops some wisdom on us.

Hey everyone!

It's all you this year, man. Best of luck and holla if you have questions.

It was a year ago when all of us 2007 applicants were getting started. We had a good group with a lot of support. Hope you guys have a great group too!

Wow, has it really been a year? A lot has happened since that time...

Anyway, I agree with what Kuba said. Let me know how I can help you, those of you who are just now beginning this new application cycle, and I'll see if I am able to do so and/or refer you to the right resource. I wish you all the best of luck. Remember to occasionally take yourself away from the process, go for a walk outside, do something fun, and to just take a breather. This can do a lot to renew and get the creative juices flowing again.

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Hey Everyone!!! I'm so happy to see a thread already started for 2007-2008 applicants. :)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I already feel like I'm scrambling to get all of the application pieces of the puzzle together, i.e. working on personal statement and asking for letters of recommendation. Also, I'm shadowing a D.O. for the 1st time tomorrow! I'm super excited!! I've shadowed M.D.s but never a D.O..

I have a question about personal statements: Should one talk about their motivation to go DO specifically or is it okay to just talk about motivations to go into medicine in general?

Good luck to everyone!! :luck:

I have a question about personal statements: Should one talk about their motivation to go DO specifically or is it okay to just talk about motivations to go into medicine in general?

In my experience, two of the most often asked questions in secondary essays and in interviews are:

1) Why medicine?

2) Why DO?

Therefore, I think you would do well to address both points in your PS.

Hey Everyone!!! I'm so happy to see a thread already started for 2007-2008 applicants. :)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I already feel like I'm scrambling to get all of the application pieces of the puzzle together, i.e. working on personal statement and asking for letters of recommendation. Also, I'm shadowing a D.O. for the 1st time tomorrow! I'm super excited!! I've shadowed M.D.s but never a D.O..

Good luck to everyone!! :luck:
Most DO schools will send you a secondary application if you designate the school on the AACOMAS. Although it is important to incorporate your motivation to pursue medicine and a do degree into your personal statement, you will probably be asked those specific questions in your secondary application. Because of that, I think it is prudent that you paint a picture of yourself in your personal statement that the admissions can not see based on your grades, MCAT score, extracurricular activities, etc. You will be able to elaborate your motivation during the secondary and the interview, just put enough in your PS to let them know that you're highly interested without making it sound like a run-of-the-mill personal statement to medical school.

I will be applying this cycle as well. It is going to be a long summer as I am taking physics, completing the Kaplan prep and taking the august 6th test. I've also met a great family practice DO in town who I will be shadowing this summer. I'm not too happy about my relatively late application, but I will submit before I take the MCAT so that when scores are reported I will be complete. I have been thinking about what angle I am going to take on my personal statement for a long time. I suppose I need to go ahead and knock out a draft. Anyways, just wanted to announce that I will be throwing my hat in the ring with you guys and hopefully this will turn out to be our year! good luck to all in the same boat.

I will be applying this cycle as well. It is going to be a long summer as I am taking physics, completing the Kaplan prep and taking the august 6th test. I've also met a great family practice DO in town who I will be shadowing this summer. I'm not too happy about my relatively late application, but I will submit before I take the MCAT so that when scores are reported I will be complete. I have been thinking about what angle I am going to take on my personal statement for a long time. I suppose I need to go ahead and knock out a draft. Anyways, just wanted to announce that I will be throwing my hat in the ring with you guys and hopefully this will turn out to be our year! good luck to all in the same boat.
Best of luck. Good idea getting the primary application out before you take the MCAT.

From the AACOMAS website:

The application that is currently available online is only for the entering class of 2007 (2007 application cycle). If you are applying for the entering class of 2008 (2008 application cycle), please revisit this page in June 2007. Applications completed for the entering class of 2007 cannot be used for the entering class of 2008.

From the AACOMAS website:

The application that is currently available online is only for the entering class of 2007 (2007 application cycle). If you are applying for the entering class of 2008 (2008 application cycle), please revisit this page in June 2007. Applications completed for the entering class of 2007 cannot be used for the entering class of 2008.

I didn't realize it wasn't coming out in May. How early was it released last year? According to this site, the exact release date is on Monday, June 4th:
http://prehealth.buffalo.edu/bulletin/aacomas-do-medical-school-2008-applicant-information/

I'm in too!! Starting to get really excited about the application cycle!!

I've already got my degree, the MCATs and my personal statement out of the way. My goal is to have my primaries complete within 3 days of them opening!

Now, if only I could get that DO I was gonna shadow to return my phone calls...I suppose I should probably find a new DO since I've been trying to get ahold of this guy for two months now with no luck. :(

Good luck everyone!!

Nate.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it:)

You should become one of the pre-osteo advisors:)

Oh, I should be around. I need my infusion of SDN weekly.

Great find, goblue.

From what I remember, I thought it came out around Mid May Last year:

So here it is everyone:

TMDSAS: May 1
AMCAS: On or Around May 3
AACOMAS: June 4

I believe it was available in May last year, but you were unable to submit it until the first week of June. I checked my mdapps page, I was working on both the AMCAS and AACOMAS in May and finished them to submit both of them early June. I knew there was a reason why I kept my mdapps page.

I'm in too!! Starting to get really excited about the application cycle!!

I've already got my degree, the MCATs and my personal statement out of the way. My goal is to have my primaries complete within 3 days of them opening!

Now, if only I could get that DO I was gonna shadow to return my phone calls...I suppose I should probably find a new DO since I've been trying to get ahold of this guy for two months now with no luck. :(

Good luck everyone!!

Nate.

I remember your posts from before. Good luck this cycle.

can someone provide:
the exact wording of the essay topic?

can someone provide:
the exact wording of the essay topic?

For the primary application, it is a generalized personal statement, there is no topic per se:

For the primary application, it is a generalized personal statement, there is no topic per se:

You beat me to it.... For my '07 personal statement I basically used a similar one I used for AMCAS app, with some small changes/edits, but it was fairly general, mainly touching on some of the major reasons I wanted to go into medicine and then touching on some past academic difficulties I had.

For my secondary essay I got into more specifics of DO influences and that philosophy.

Good luck this year though! Will definitely check back on here from time to time.

Definitely apply early though, due to some other life circumstances I didn't apply until around late February, THANKFULLY it all worked out but with some added stress. : )

I'm not gonna lie... it's not a fun process.

On the upside, if you do it right, you never have to do it again :)

Plus, after a lot of nail-biting you'll probably come out knowing you're going to be a doctor :cool:

Best of luck to all of you guys and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process...

Good luck to everyone. I'll be doing the same thing this time next year, so I'll be seeking your advice!

I wish you guys all the best and good luck. :thumbup:

I'm not gonna lie... it's not a fun process.

On the upside, if you do it right, you never have to do it again :)

Plus, after a lot of nail-biting you'll probably come out knowing you're going to be a doctor :cool:

Best of luck to all of you guys and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process...

Good luck to everyone. I'll be doing the same thing this time next year, so I'll be seeking your advice!

Thanks for the luck, most of us will need it :p

For those of you already accepted, you MUST give advice this summer. You already know that there will be an infinite amount of questions this summer (again). Thanks!

Oh, I should be around. I need my infusion of SDN weekly.

I believe it was available in May last year, but you were unable to submit it until the first week of June. I checked my mdapps page, I was working on both the AMCAS and AACOMAS in May and finished them to submit both of them early June. I knew there was a reason why I kept my mdapps page.

I remember your posts from before. Good luck this cycle.

I will be on the AACOM website daily checking to see if it is posted. I need a daily dose of SDN....:oops:

I will be on the AACOM website daily checking to see if it is posted. I need a daily dose of SDN....:oops:
I remember when I first started, I was getting the hourly infusion, but it dwindles from there. You've amassed a lot of information already, so I doubt you'll be on quite as much as I did. Go for it buddy.

Sorry to break the news guys, but the character limit for DO applications is 3000! I know, it's awful.....:eek:

Just to clarify, AMCAS gives 5300 characters. :)

Sorry to break the news guys, but the character limit for DO applications is 3000! I know, it's awful.....:eek:

Unless something has changed from last year the character limit is 4500 for AACOMAS.

Wow that's short; I'd better start figuring how to cut my essay in half! :confused:

Thanks for the info, ilovelucy. :)

Hey, how's everyone doing on letters of recommendation? I've got confirmation from everyone that they will write me one and have my fingers crossed about it. Unfortunately, I'm stressing like crazy!! :eek:

What do you guys think about this:
  • 3 professors: (1. physiology, 2. epidemiology, and 3. health care management) (unfortunately 2 of the 3 professors don't really know me that well, but I don't feel like I have any other professors to ask who have taught me)
  • D.O. - I shadowed him for 8 hours, and hopefully within the next month, I will be shadowing him another shift or two.
  • Chief of the EMS squad where I volunteer
  • M.D. who led an emergency department research program I volunteered at for 1.5 years
That's 6 letters. How many letters did or are you guys going to send?

This is DIRECTLY from the AACOMAS, unless they changed it from last year, its should be still 4500 characters:

sorry --- I didn't mean to scare anyone. My Pre-health committee just published the new guidlines for all of the pre-meds and it highlights that is is only 3000 characters for AACOMAS. Maybe they are mistaken?? I will check with the office on Monday and see where they got their information. I just assumed they would have the accurate numbers since AACOMAS has not published the info on the web yet.

sorry --- I didn't mean to scare anyone. My Pre-health committee just published the new guidlines for all of the pre-meds and it highlights that is is only 3000 characters for AACOMAS. Maybe they are mistaken?? I will check with the office on Monday and see where they got their information. I just assumed they would have the accurate numbers since AACOMAS has not published the info on the web yet.

They might mean roughly 3000 charachters without spaces. For as long as I can remember its been around 4500 charachters.

The ambiguities of the premed world, you have got to love em :p

Good luck to ya all, i can't believe 2007 cycle's almost over. I made it at the end..so will you guyies:)

Welcome and Good Luck everyone!!!!

After researching and watching everyone go through the process that is applying to med school on SDN for 2 years now... its just really weird to be the one going through the process now... Let the madness/work/stress begin!

So whose applying just DO? Are most people applying to MD+DO's... Having a tough time deciding if I should go ahead and apply to my MD in-state (NY) schools... gpa is alright but a 26 mcat prob. wont make the cut for most...

Welcome and Good Luck everyone!!!!

After researching and watching everyone go through the process that is applying to med school on SDN for 2 years now... its just really weird to be the one going through the process now... Let the madness/work/stress begin!

So whose applying just DO? Are most people applying to MD+DO's... Having a tough time deciding if I should go ahead and apply to my MD in-state (NY) schools... gpa is alright but a 26 mcat prob. wont make the cut for most...

Hey there! Just took a look at your mdapplicants and your numbers look really good!! GOOD LUCK!!! :)

I too am trying to decide about applying to MD schools along with DO. My heart is really into DO, but I'm probably going to give 2 of my in-state MD schools a try just to open up my options a little.

I have a quick question.

I'm retaking the MCAT in June and I don't want schools to just see my first MCAT (it was really bad). Should I just wait to submit my application until my new scores come in? Do adcom’s really wait for new MCAT scores to come in before evaluating your application?

Thanks and good luck everyone!!! :D :luck:

Hey there! Just took a look at your mdapplicants and your numbers look really good!! GOOD LUCK!!! :)

I too am trying to decide about applying to MD schools along with DO. My heart is really into DO, but I'm probably going to give 2 of my in-state MD schools a try just to open up my options a little.

thanx... you don't look too bad yourself, with the post bac and whatnot... at least NC isn't as competitive as NY, just see how you improved when u get your new mcats back, although a 24 is fine for the DO's you applied to

Status
Not open for further replies.