changing resideny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samer333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am about to become a 3rd year medical resident. I am interested in ophthomology as a career after medicine. My scores are 86 step 1 and 78 step 2. I am studying for step 3. I know my scores are not great. How much does it help to get into ophthomology after doing internal medicine residency? Will a 1-yr research help?

Thanks!
Samer

Heres some advice from a humble 3rd year student:

1) Make up your mind. You've posted the same question in almost every residency forum on SDN (Derm, Ophtho, Rads, Rad Onc, etc).

2) Learn how to spell OPHTHALMOLOGY (or look it up). You're a 3rd year Medicine resident, you're smart enough to do that.

3) Ophtho is a competitive field. FMGs do land spots every year but they usually have exceptional stats/research. Obviously, doing research for a year will help. The question remains, is it enough to land you a spot with an 86 on Step 1?

Since I'm still in med school, I'll defer that answer to the helpful residents/fellows on SDN...:)