The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay new thread! :)

First thread of the new cycle! Whoo hoo! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

wow, so it's officially two cycles ago that I applied.... *feeling SDN-old*

Members don't see this ad :)
wow..... we've come so far so fast!

I get my MCAT scores back wednesday, my LORs in this week, my spring grades back in two weeks, and then I'll be ready to submit my first and (hopefully, knock on wood) last Texas application. So far so good.

...who am I kidding? This is terrifying.

Someone needs to erect the flag once again. :)

Someone needs to erect the flag once again. :)

Let's see whether I do this image tag right...
So, how long has it been since 7th grade history class? I don't remember which battle that lower one's from. *hides head in shame*
cometakeit.jpg

I get my MCAT scores back wednesday, my LORs in this week, my spring grades back in two weeks, and then I'll be ready to submit my first and (hopefully, knock on wood) last Texas application. So far so good.

...who am I kidding? This is terrifying.
Oooooo a new cycle person besides Armybound! Sweet!

Good luck to you! :luck:

Is that a t-shirt in your avatar? If so, you must post a link because I really really want that shirt! :)

Dangit... cycle has started already. This semester went by fast. Cursed finals.

Do any of yall know if it is okay to use 2 science rec letters from last year's cycle for this year's app cycle and just add a new letter? Or should they all be updated? Thanks!

Let's see whether I do this image tag right...
So, how long has it been since 7th grade history class? I don't remember which battle that lower one's from. *hides head in shame*

Battle of Gonzales... :rolleyes:
I prefer that flag to any other. If l had my way I would fly that at our capital.

Do any of yall know if it is okay to use 2 science rec letters from last year's cycle for this year's app cycle and just add a new letter? Or should they all be updated? Thanks!
you can reuse recs. I'm apparently reusing my entire pre-med committee rec, but they're adding an addendum on to it. which would be ok if the first rec didn't suck, but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can reuse recs. I'm apparently reusing my entire pre-med committee rec, but they're adding an addendum on to it. which would be ok if the first rec didn't suck, but whatever.

At Baylor it's always better to use the committee. Of the people that I know that didn't get in this year...none of them used the committee (which is very stupid, IMHO).

Just be sure they are dated this year, because from what I've been told letters expire one year after they are dated.

At Baylor it's always better to use the committee. Of the people that I know that didn't get in this year...none of them used the committee (which is very stupid, IMHO).

It is the same here at A&M. Our advisor has had schools call up and ask why someone didn't use the committee, because with such a big pre-med program they expect it.

that would suck. I submitted a letter that was written in 05

I don't really know whether that's true... many of my schools accepted a letter from '04 -- of course, each also got 2-3 others written within a couple of months of submission.

that would suck. I submitted a letter that was written in 05

I scanned the TMDSAS site and didn't find anything. It may just be an A&M rule that they can't be more than 1 year old

thanks for the help! ill contact my school to see if they require the rec letters to be the current/recent year.

just out of curiosity, did any of yall receive admission using both outdated and current rec letters? im really dreading asking my science profs AGAIN...

yhelothar

omghi2u a/s/l?

on a more serious note, i get to talk over the phone to filo tomorrow. not that i'm scared or anything, i just hope he doesn't tell me i'm at the bottom of the waitlist. any recent updates from college station (*ahem* aggiesarah, awesome bearer of precious tamu info) hahaha.

omghi2u a/s/l?

on a more serious note, i get to talk over the phone to filo tomorrow. not that i'm scared or anything, i just hope he doesn't tell me i'm at the bottom of the waitlist. any recent updates from college station (*ahem* aggiesarah, awesome bearer of precious tamu info) hahaha.

Heheheh I don't actually have any :( Sorry. They are all done with classes so I haven't heard anything. My friend that went to talk to him said he was really nice about it all, but she wasn't on the waitlist so there wasn't a lot he could do or say. I did see Filo at our AED banquet (he's the advisor) and he gently teased me about not going to tamu :)

Good luck with your phone call though! I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!

21/174.

filo to me: "if we had not had so many accepted prematch offers, you'd have been in the second round of acceptances." FREAKIN A.

i'm happy that i'm relatively high on the list but annoyed that this whole match fiasco kept me from getting my acceptance.

21/174.

filo to me: "if we had not had so many accepted prematch offers, you'd have been in the second round of acceptances." FREAKIN A.

i'm happy that i'm relatively high on the list but annoyed that this whole match fiasco kept me from getting my acceptance.
I'm pulling for you, man! Hang in there!

Got my application submitted today. All transcripts and recommendations are on their way. MCAT this Friday. Fingers are crossed. :D

21/174.

Oh you are so close! Here's to hoping 21 people will drop out! WHOOP!

Oh you are so close! Here's to hoping 21 people will drop out! WHOOP!

hahaha i know! i'm so close. do you know if they pull people off the waitlist in sequential order or do they review all or a portion of the waitlisters when a spot opens up?

EVERYONE DROP OUT OF TAMU PLZ! DADDY NEEDS AN MD DEGREE lol.

And I'm submitted :) Taking care of certification page/photos/money and transcripts tomorrow. I dread starting secondaries though...lol.

Geez, how are you guys so fast? I haven't even finished my finals, much less gotten my final grades on my transcript.

Geez, how are you guys so fast? I haven't even finished my finals, much less gotten my final grades on my transcript.

I graduated last December ;) Otherwise, I'd be in your boat.

And I'm submitted :) Taking care of certification page/photos/money and transcripts tomorrow. I dread starting secondaries though...lol.

Diana, did you write a new PS? I think I am just going to twink it up. I am only applying to UTH (Again) and TCOM anyways..

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hitting that submit button is so hard! :luck: :luck: :luck: I'll be looking for you at UTH interviews this fall :)

Diana, did you write a new PS? I think I am just going to twink it up. I am only applying to UTH (Again) and TCOM anyways..

No, however I did add 2 new paragraphs towards the end that better describe my goals for the year and my philosophies on becomming a doctor. And I reworded a couple things here and there throughout my paper.

EDIT: Oh, and I did write the 2nd optional essay on diversity which I didn't do last year.

can you submit secondaries before the TMDSAS?

I'm finished with the TTU secondary but am still waiting on grades to submit the TMDSAS.

can you submit secondaries before the TMDSAS?

I'm finished with the TTU secondary but am still waiting on grades to submit the TMDSAS.

You should wait until after you submit TMDSAS. They will give you a login website and all that jazz so you can't really submit anything just yet.

No, however I did add 2 new paragraphs towards the end that better describe my goals for the year and my philosophies on becomming a doctor. And I reworded a couple things here and there throughout my paper.

EDIT: Oh, and I did write the 2nd optional essay on diversity which I didn't do last year.

Thanks for the update Diana. I had the 2nd optional essay last year, so I am going to keep that and add a little more to it.

As for my essay, I hit the charachter limit the first time lol, so my task might be harder that i thought :oops: I hope to have it submitted by this Sunday :scared:

4690 characters is seriously impossible to work with. I feel like TMDSAS is asking me to write an essay on what I want to do with the rest of my life and why on the back of a napkin and then send it to them. :thumbdown:

4690 characters is seriously impossible to work with. I feel like TMDSAS is asking me to write an essay on what I want to do with the rest of my life and why on the back of a napkin and then send it to them. :thumbdown:
:laugh: I totally felt the same way! :laugh:

Because I'm done and I doubt anyone could really copy my PS, if anyone is searching for ideas, they're welcome to read my statement.

No joke. My rough draft was about twice that. After I condensed it and tried putting it into TMDSAS, it was still 14 lines too many. Being as I was close to the deadline, I sat there and chopped/rewrote it to fit. I left a few typos in just for good measure. Don't forget, if there is any blank space beneath your essay in the box, for the love of God delete it!

Keep rewriting. I typed mine in the text-box then cut/pasted into word to check for errors. You'll get it...

Crap I missed the birthing of this cycle's first thread...

submitted :)

I sure hope they don't judge us by the attractiveness of our photo.

the only stuff you mail to Tech for the secondary is the certification page and fee, right?

are you guys putting together real essays for the A&M secondary? I see they allow 3000 characters but I felt like the questions didn't necessarily need a very long essay to answer them. each of my responses is basically 1-2 short paragraphs.

submitted :)

I sure hope they don't judge us by the attractiveness of our photo.

the only stuff you mail to Tech for the secondary is the certification page and fee, right?

are you guys putting together real essays for the A&M secondary? I see they allow 3000 characters but I felt like the questions didn't necessarily need a very long essay to answer them. each of my responses is basically 1-2 short paragraphs.

Brevity is the key my friend.

l avoided writing any more essays then absolutely necessary. In fact essays are one reason l didn't finish some of my secondaries. No interviewer ever asked me why l didn't fill out the optional essays.
l just see essays as the second place for applicants to embellish the truth a bit.( resumes being the first place.) :D