DAT-To Retake Or Not To Retake-That is the ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A persistent question on SDN is advice on whether to retake or not to retake the DAT. Before a decision is reached, it might be helpful to look at the data that has recently been released by the ADA.

http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_users_manual.ashx

The data suggests that there is a considerable drop in the scores for the repeaters in all areas, except perhaps PA. Based on this evidence it should be clear that retaking the test is risky, at best. Unless there are solid reasons for repeating, the temptation to retake should be avoided. Good reasons would be: 1. you did not prepare adequately for the exam 2. you had a hangover the day of the exam. 3. Your mean DAT (AA) and PA scores are more than 1 point below the national mean or below the mean for the school(s) of your choice.

Unless your plan is to make some fundamental changes in the approach to the exam, such as, spending more time, and making substantial changes to the material used, the advice remains the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT-To retake or not to retake; that is the question.xls
    14 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I beleive this survey has some lurking variables. DAT "repeaters" possibly don't have the science background, hence lower scores on both attempts.

I would agree with Airsimon. As nice as these results are- a much more accurate comparison would be the results of retakers only and their original scores. By including the scores of those who never retake- it is evitable that the retakers scores will be lower on all 3 tests than the scores of those who never felt the need to retake.

I beleive this survey has some lurking variables. DAT "repeaters" possibly don't have the science background, hence lower scores on both attempts.

Nationally, 80% of applicants have a science background.

I would agree with Airsimon. As nice as these results are- a much more accurate comparison would be the results of retakers only and their original scores. By including the scores of those who never retake- it is evitable that the retakers scores will be lower on all 3 tests than the scores of those who never felt the need to retake.

Yes it would be nice to have, but it is not available. In any case, ultimately the scores are only compared to those of the general population. There are no bonus points for retakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um well im a retaker and my score increased in every catagory my biology went from a 16 to a 21 so idk but I did well on my 2nd attempt! I was so nervous the 1st time I couldn't really focus. IMO if you take a different approach to your study method you will do just fine. Good Luck to all the retakers out there if I can do it so can you. ;=)

Reactions: 2 users