New Colorado school has a website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine now has a website up!

www.rockyvistauniversity.com

Who else is gonna give this one a try this application cycle? I'm going to add it to my apply-to list, but I'm still a bit wary until I know more about it...

Members don't see this ad.

Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, LLC, is the newest of the 28 Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine currently established or in development in the United States of America.

LLC? Anybody know if you can have a non-profit LLC, or does the LLC mean the school is a for-profit entity?

Also, 28 schools? Am I forgetting any? Anybody have any ideas on 27 & 28?

1. ATSU
2. AZCOM
3. CCOM
4. DMU-COM
5. KCUMB
6. LECOM
7. LECOM -B
8. MSUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. NYCOM
11. OSUCOM
12. OUCOM
13. PCOM
14. PCOM-GA
15. PCSOM
16. TUCOM-MI
17. TUCOM- NV
18. UMDNJ
19.UNECOM
20. TCOM
21. VCOM
22. COMP
23. WVSOM
-------------
24. ATSU - Phoenix, AZ
25. LMU - Harrogate, TN
26. Touro - Harlem, NY
27. Rocky Vista University COM - Denver, CO
28. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences - Yakima, WA

lame name. for profit...

i wouldnt even apply there if i were applying.

Members don't see this ad :)

www.rockyvistauniversity.com

Who else is gonna give this one a try this application cycle? I'm going to add it to my apply-to list, but I'm still a bit wary until I know more about it...

i for sure will:D the area looks beautiful...at least on the web.

LLC? Anybody know if you can have a non-profit LLC, or does the LLC mean the school is a for-profit entity?

1. ATSU
2. AZCOM
3. CCOM
4. DMU-COM
5. KCUMB
6. LECOM
7. LECOM -B
8. MSUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. NYCOM
11. OSUCOM
12. OUCOM
13. PCOM
14. PCOM-GA
15. PCSOM
16. TUCOM-MI
17. TUCOM- NV
18. UMDNJ
17.UNECOM
18. TCOM
19. VCOM
20. COMP
21. WVSOM
-------------
22. ATSU - Phoenix, AZ
23. LMU - Harrogate, TN
24. Touro - Harlem, NY
25. Rocky Vista University COM - Denver, CO
26. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences - Yakima, WA
27.?
28.?

you not missing anything besides the fact that your numbers from 16-18 look funny LOL

you not missing anything besides the fact that your numbers from 16-18 look funny LOL

Very rarely do I actually "LOL" in response to SDN...
But boy did that give me a serious gut-buster!

:lol:

1. ATSU
2. AZCOM
3. CCOM
4. DMU-COM
5. KCUMB
6. LECOM
7. LECOM -B
8. MSUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. NYCOM
11. OSUCOM
12. OUCOM
13. PCOM
14. PCOM-GA
15. PCSOM
16. TUCOM-MI
17. TUCOM- NV
18. UMDNJ
17.UNECOM
18. TCOM
19. VCOM
20. COMP
21. WVSOM
-------------
22. ATSU - Phoenix, AZ
23. LMU - Harrogate, TN
24. Touro - Harlem, NY
25. Rocky Vista University COM - Denver, CO
26. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences - Yakima, WA
27.?
28.?

I have nothing against DOs, but this is getting irresponsible.

Until they start opening up equal amounts of GME programs, the DO stigma will continue.

Ill apply. Its 3.5 hours away from home :thumbup:

Until they start opening up equal amounts of GME programs, the DO stigma will continue.

I completely agree. Would be better to put resources into making the existing schools better (more research funding, technology..etc.) and opening more residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it bother anyone that it's a .com and not a .edu?

Very good point. I know the school is still in the process of being opened, but the website looks really cheesy. All these new schools opening up just doesn't do the profession any good.

I am a little uncomfortable with the idea of a ".com" instead of an ".edu"

Imagine telling a friend that your school email address is [email protected]

This for profit medical school sounds like a really bad idea for our profession. What loyalty will they have to the students? Not a whole lot, because as a for profit institution they will be responsible to the owners, or shareholders, etc. With this in mind, do you think they will invest in building OPTIs in Colorado? It takes a lot of funding to do that - and doing so would eat away at there bottom line profits.

Something tells me this is more of a company rather than a medical school. I have a feeling they will keep their operating cost low to turn a profit - and that's not a very good thing for a medical student.

However thena again it is still to early to tell.

I am a little uncomfortable with the idea of a ".com" instead of an ".edu"

Imagine telling a friend that your school email address is [email protected]

This for profit medical school sounds like a really bad idea for our profession. What loyalty will they have to the students? Not a whole lot, because as a for profit institution they will be responsible to the owners, or shareholders, etc. With this in mind, do you think they will invest in building OPTIs in Colorado? It takes a lot of funding to do that - and doing so would eat away at there bottom line profits.

Something tells me this is more of a company rather than a medical school. I have a feeling they will keep their operating cost low to turn a profit - and that's not a very good thing for a medical student.

However thena again it is still to early to tell.

Seems like a lot of us don't like the feeling of this. I wish the AOA would see the issue with all the new schools opening up (or is it AACOM?). We are in some serious trouble over the next 4-6 years. Not only are DO schools popping up like crazy, but quite a few DO schools will extend their student size. Also MD schools have agreed to increase their seats by about 20%. However you never hear anything about new residencies being formed.

I wish I had some numbers available to me. How many DO residency spots are there total? How many DO's graduate each year? How many go onto AMA programs? I realize that many DO spots go unfilled, so maybe the AOA things great, we can increase the number of schools. But as soon as you have more MDs graduating at the same time, I believe us DO students will have a harder time matching into MD programs. Now if there aren't enough DO spots to go around, then you have an unemployed physician with $200k+ in loans.

Yep, that .com rather than .edu is worrisome. Just doesn't seem right. Like I said earlier, I'll add it to my list of 15+ schools 'cause it's in Colorado and just see what happens over the coming months.

I wanted to try to shed some light on the Rocky Vista website being a .com site instead of a .edu. I remembered, at one point, reading that you need certain qualifications to have a .edu site. According to the Educause.edu site:

"Eligibility for a .edu domain name is limited to postsecondary institutions that are institutionally accredited, i.e., the entire institution and not just particular programs, by agencies on the U.S. Department of Education’s list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies...

Note that institutional accreditation is required for .edu eligibility; program accreditation is not sufficient."

Since Rocky Vista is still in the "pre-accreditation" phase, it can't have a .edu site just yet. LMU-DCOM and the upcoming RMU-SOM are both affiliated with accredited institutions and thus maintain web pages on those schools' websites.

Also:

"An institution’s profit-making status is not an element of eligibility."

Possibly when the school receives full accreditation status, it may opt for a .edu domain; that remains to be seen. Still, though, I'm sure that this is definitely raising some eyebrows - it raised mine. And according to the AACOM website, Rocky Vista is indeed a for-profit organization. We'll have to see how it all shakes out.

lame name. for profit...

i wouldnt even apply there if i were applying.

maybe the .com has to do with the fact that they're not accredited yet-- :confused: But clearly, this is just speculation, who knows... Also strange to have an LLC instead of a corporation, BUT in most states, an LLC can also be nonprofit... I'm not sure about Colorado though.

The LLC status isn't that big a deal. I have set up both LLC's and corporations (business background) and you can run an LLC in the same manner as a corporation, but avoid double taxation (similar to a Subchapter S corp). Net, net this isn't a big deal and probably just reflects that they are new (after LLC's were established) and not affiliated with an existing educational institution.

I think the .com is a temporary thing. You can file and receive a .com instantly, but as noted a .edu requires approval. They will probably have changed well before accepting students.

The "for profit" status? That one gives me a great deal of pause. It seems very suspect to run a medical school this way. Hell, it seems a little hinky to run ANY institution of higher learning this way.

After doing a review of RVUCOM's hospital list, if the school can get rotations at these system's larger hospitals I would say the students are set up well, there is a large level 1 and other large (400+ bed) hospitals plus some have residency programs (thus teaching hospitals), not bad considering the University of Colorado Hospital is A level 2 trauma.

Centura Health System of Colorado
HCA Health One System
Memorial Hospital System – Colorado Springs

As it stands now roughly 50% of funded osteopathic GME spots go unfilled.

I dont think opening more GME spots will make much of a difference.

People always like to point out that "there arent enough osteopathic residency spots for all the DOs"...yet they apply to allopathic programs. :confused:

I think the answer is allowing MDs to apply for osteopathic GME spots. Thats been talked about for YEARS now...and interestingly was just highlighting in The DO magazine.

The biggest reason that most of these places go unfilled is because of location.

Interesting thing about a program that is in the middle of nowhere...there is always someone looking to go somewhere that is considered nowhere to another. :thumbup:

Couldn't they find someone with decent Photoshop skills? The website design immediately turns me off. Then I notice the ".com".

Not to be a stickler, but what exactly is the University? It seems like a more appropriate name would be Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine. It's a redundancy to say Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It seems like a silly attempt to make it sound more prestigious or something.

Not to be a stickler, but what exactly is the University? It seems like a more appropriate name would be Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine. It's a redundancy to say Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It seems like a silly attempt to make it sound more prestigious or something.

every other school has that in their name.

Thanks, Stringerbell and others, for shedding light on the .com issue. I had no idea how all of that worked. It makes sense now. I noticed the hospitals that it was affiliated with, if all of that goes according to plan, the RVUCOM students will indeed be set up quite nicely for rotations.

It sure would be nice to stay in Colorado for med school. I don't anticipate that the University of Colorado will show me any love with my 3.1 undergrad GPA (despite the master's degree and several years of full time college level teaching experience).

every other school has that in their name.

Schools that are actually universities should, and do. Schools that are no more than the osteopathic college should pick one.

Technically, a college is one segment of the amalgamate University.

I.E Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine....
There is a Michigan State University with or without the College of osteopathic medicine..

Here, there is no "rocky vista university" just the "college of osteopathic medicine".

So I just think a more appropriate name would be "Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine".

P.S - Does it remind anyone else of "The Oaks at Mesa Vista" from You, Me and Dupree? haha

Eventually they will have a nursing school and (I think) PA school. So, I guess that's where they are coming from with the "university", but it does sound really dumb when all they have right now is the COM.

Eventually they will have a nursing school and (I think) PA school. So, I guess that's where they are coming from with the "university", but it does sound really dumb when all they have right now is the COM.

Yeah I agree. They shouldn't be a university until they have a nursing school and PA school next to a medical school.

As it stands now roughly 50% of funded osteopathic GME spots go unfilled.

I dont think opening more GME spots will make much of a difference.

People always like to point out that "there arent enough osteopathic residency spots for all the DOs"...yet they apply to allopathic programs. :confused:

I think the answer is allowing MDs to apply for osteopathic GME spots. Thats been talked about for YEARS now...and interestingly was just highlighting in The DO magazine.

The biggest reason that most of these places go unfilled is because of location.

Interesting thing about a program that is in the middle of nowhere...there is always someone looking to go somewhere that is considered nowhere to another. :thumbup:

Having more locations available would be a good reason to increase the number programs regardless of how many "spots' were added. I have an interest in PM&R and have two allopathic programs in town. Closest osteopathic residency? 1000 miles a way.

Since having more programs/locations will by it's nature increase the spots available, opening them to MD's would be a win/win.

a new school means more seats for applicants, so thats great....but the website looks like it's for devry or something. kind of cheesy - not too professional looking.

Is it normal for schools to include a drug test in their application process. I don't believe I read this on any pages for other schools.

"must undergo a background screening and a drug screen before acceptance into the COM is finalized and they begin attending class."

"must undergo a background screening and a drug screen before acceptance into the COM is finalized and they begin attending class."

Not during the application process, but very common after acceptance. After you receive your acceptance, you will find that matriculation is contingent upon things like a background check and drug testing, as well as other things such as having your immunizations up to date. It will be likely written into your acceptance agreement that failure of any one of these things may result in your acceptance being rescinded.

Not during the application process, but very common after acceptance. After you receive your acceptance, you will find that matriculation is contingent upon things like a background check and drug testing... failure of any one of these things may result in your acceptance being rescinded.

they do DRUG TESTING before matriculation?! damn...alright I have a year to detox ;)

Anybody notice this.... under "Requirements for Admission"

Three semester hours of each of the following courses:
- English literature
- English composition

Only curious because it suggests that you have to take an "interpretation of literature" class. Usually med schools just say 2 semester of English without a real clarification of what that means. For me, it was College Writing 1 and 2.

And

All applicants are required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) within the past two (2) years.

Two years instead of three.

And I know it's a bit of an odd comment, but the landscape architecture is a bit strange... in the "campus arial view", all the (pine?) trees are clustered on one half of a quad. I understand why they're doing this -- they want people to use the quad as a social space -- but it just looks odd. The trees should be more evenly spaced across the two quads. Weird statement. I know. Otherwise the place looks great.

EDIT: I found an article with some interesting info

The $120 million school, located in Parker, is set to open in August 2008 with a class of 150 medical students

Rocky Vista intends to recruit students from rural areas and send them to residency programs in underserved areas such as Trinidad and Pueblo.

Tuition will cost $38,000 a year, with a 10 percent discount for Colorado residents

(From http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/health_care/article/0,2808,DRMN_25396_5439218,00.html)

How many letters of rec are required? Couldn't find it on their website.

It does suck to be applying to what is effectively American University of the Carribean's sister school, but I'm pretty desparate.

Does it bother anyone that it's a .com and not a .edu?

YES!

Also, check out the "Application" information....There is no interview required.

Finnaly, check out the picture of the two students at the top of the home page. One of them looks like he had a stroke - they should look into that.

This is a joke school. The top end carib schools will be better than this joker.

Take a look at the CEO/founder, he's not even a doctor!

Mr. Yife Tien is the Founder and Chancellor of Rocky Vista University. With over 20 years of senior management experience in medical education, Mr. Tien has extensive expertise in strategic planning and organizational leadership, operations and administration, business development in competitive markets, regulatory affairs and revenue growth. He has served as the President of Medical Education Services, Inc. in Coral Gables since 1983 and as the General partner in Tien Family Limited Partnership since 2000. He is married to Lucy Chua, M.D., a Board certified Hematologist/Oncologist. They have one son, Christopher, who is 13.

What a freaking joke. Surely they plan on hiring a real doctor to be the dean of the med school right? Of course everything about this school is so laughable that it wouldnt surprise me if they dont.

I'll make a wild prediction here and predict that the vast majority of classes at this "school" will be taught by non-PhD/DO/MD faculty. They'll probably base their entire basic science corps on "masters" level faculty. For the clinical years my prediction is that most of it will be "taught" by NPs or PAs.

This school will quickly become the laughingstock of american medical education.

Everything about this just looks bad. I think it is horrible for Osteopathic Medicine. This seems like everything that we should want to stay away from in order to get the respect that our profession deserves. It just all seems too similar to those "online degree" places. Website design and CEO/Founder aside, there seems to be no real plan for the school even though it claims to be up and running in 2008. Please AOA, don't let this happen....

I wish more established colleges/universities would start getting osteopathic medical schools rather than these crazy type of upstart "universities"...

this...looks grim :scared: