COMLEX scores...and some other questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karine04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken the COMLEX relatively recently, how long was the wait before you got your scores? I took it a couple of days ago and am now busy studying for USMLE, but kind of nervous because I think I was ill prepared for COMLEX. I'm not trying to get a really high score on USMLE, just maybe something in the range of 85th-90th percentile, as I don't see myself applying to any uber competitive residencies (I just want to prove myself to the allopathic residency directors). I've been doing USMLERx all along (never did any COMLEX-style questions, save for the ones on NBOME's website and the ones in the back of the Savarese OMM review book), and just bought USMLE World and plan on doing at least 100-150 questions a day until the date of my test (June 5). Of course, the UW questions are difficult and my first block scores were 50%. Should I take USMLE in 9 days? I guess I'm the only one who can answer that, but if I raise my UW scores by about 15-20% over the next week, do I have a shot of maybe scoring in the 85th percentile on USMLE?

This is all complicated by the fact that we begin rotations on June 11 and I won't be able to study through all of June, as I'm doing a very intense ob/gyn rotation. July and August should be easier months as far as rotations go (psych and endocrine), so I might potentially be able to study a bit during those months. My USMLE scheduling permit is good through the end of August.

Thanks guys, sorry this is so vague and full of apprehension. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys might be able to provide.

PS: To those who haven't taken COMLEX yet, I really do advise that you do some COMLEX-style questions. Part of the reason I felt so crappy about the test was that I wasn't used to the format of their questions. The stems were SO short compared to what I was used to on USMLERx! The stupid cases at the end of each question block really killed me, though, because if you got part 1 of the case wrong, you'd inevitably get questions 2-3 wrong as well.

Members don't see this ad.

there is only one real way to tell if you're ready.....take an NBME diagnostic exam....form 3 is supposed to be pretty predictive of how you'll do on the USMLE....raising your UW % to around 70 in random/timed blocks should take you into that %'ile range that you mentioned (from my limited experience w/ the nbme exams)....but taking an NBME is really the answer in my opinion

congrats on being done w/ the COMLEX.....I'm sure you did fine

PS: To those who haven't taken COMLEX yet, I really do advise that you do some COMLEX-style questions. Part of the reason I felt so crappy about the test was that I wasn't used to the format of their questions. The stems were SO short compared to what I was used to on USMLERx! The stupid cases at the end of each question block really killed me, though, because if you got part 1 of the case wrong, you'd inevitably get questions 2-3 wrong as well.

trust me, if there were any questions out there that even remotely resembled the idiocy of the actual comlex questions, we'd be doing them. i don't think most self-respecting qbank question writers can stoop that low. . . .

agreed, though, that your best assessment tool would be an nbme exam. personally, i wouldn't recommend taking the usmle after you've started your rotations. the material is fresh right now, and you'd likely lose at least some of it during the next month. and, unless you have time off, can you really estimate how busy you'll be during your rotations later in the summer?

Are the COMLEX questions really that ridiculous? I took the USMLE on the 23rd and basically had to think on every single question. From what I've heard from my classmates that have taken COMLEX already, it's really straight forward, one step sort of questions. I've literally heard of people getting about 10 questions just on Metronidazole, I mean come on, metro is important and board relevant, but definitely not worth 10 questions. I'm having a tough time studying (reflected in the fact that I'm on here posting) knowing that this test is going to be nothing like the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the COMLEX questions really that ridiculous? I took the USMLE on the 23rd and basically had to think on every single question. From what I've heard from my classmates that have taken COMLEX already, it's really straight forward, one step sort of questions. I've literally heard of people getting about 10 questions just on Metronidazole, I mean come on, metro is important and board relevant, but definitely not worth 10 questions. I'm having a tough time studying (reflected in the fact that I'm on here posting) knowing that this test is going to be nothing like the USMLE.

Well, sure, a lot of COMLEX questions are straightforward. My test was particularly heavy on Neisseria gonorrhoeae! I had a few metronidazole questions, too :p But there were also a lot of weird path questions that seemed ambiguous (for path, they love pulm, female repro, and neuro! know your neuro in general, it was heavily represented on my test). Again, it's possible that I just wasn't very well prepared. I've never been that great at rote memorization of bugs and drugs, and COMLEX was really a regurgitation exam. Still, I've gotten through the first two years of med school w/mostly high Bs and some As because I'm good at reasoning and concepts - there was very little of that type of thinking on COMLEX, whereas your reasoning skills are tested heavily on the practice USMLE questions I've been doing. I guess I just didn't spend enough time memorizing. Whatever. I have a week and a bit to memorize as much as possible, bang out some more questions, solidify the concepts that I know and perhaps learn a few more concepts here and there. I think it can be done.

Those of you who recommended doing an NBME exam: are the exams on their site full-length? Do I need to dedicate a whole day or half-day to doing one? Thanks for your help, everyone.

The NBME exams are 200 questions long, so a half day would sufficient. You can do them timed or not. I did them timed and took forms 1 and 3. People say that the NBME's get harder as you go from 1 to 4. I got freaked out by the prospect that form 3 predicts your score and therefore chose to do form 1 first, about three weeks before the exam. I scored fairly decent on that one, a 226, despite being freaked out by the first 50 questions. I took form 3 a week later and scored a 232., so I'm not completely sure why people think that they get progressively harder. Also, I'm not sure if PCOM stresses biostatistics at all, but LECOM doesn't, I would suggest looking over that because the questions are generally pretty straight forward, so it's an easy way to pick up some points. And make sure you know your ethical issues, again, it's another way to pick up points the easy way. Overall I must say that USMLE was pretty much what I was expecting. If you've understood the course material throughout the first and second year, you should have no problem taking this exam. Good luck!!

yup...4 blocks of 50 so half a day would be fine.....but I would rec buying it in the un-timed version b/c if for some reason you run out of time on a block of 50 in timed version thats it...your done...and don't even have a chance to see the last few questions or spend time reviewing the questions you wanted to look up answers too.......but if you buy the un-timed version you can still see how you would do in 60 minutes....but have the option and time to review the questions at your own pace (they allow 4 hours per section)

....form 3 is supposed to be ....raising your UW % to around 70 should take you into ... from my limited experience

You know, Taus... As the leading board advice giver on this forum, you're pretty much expected to ace both exams in order to retrospectively validate all your recommendations. No pressure though :thumbup:

I bought the USMLE Q Bank and have finished about 75% of the questions. They seem to be solid questions that take some thinking. For those that just took the COMLEX, should I be looking for obvious answers when I take the exam this week or should I think into the questions? It all matters what the mindset of the exam and I have yet to get a real straight answer about this.

You know, Taus... As the leading board advice giver on this forum, you're pretty much expected to ace both exams in order to retrospectively validate all your recommendations. No pressure though :thumbup:
well if they let me just submit my NBME scores w/o ever taking the real test then I can back it up......but we'll see what happens in a few weeks

i also spent like a year researching the best ways to go about studying for this stuff.....so I definitely know how to prepare for it.....we'll see if that translates into taking the test itselt

trust me, if there were any questions out there that even remotely resembled the idiocy of the actual comlex questions, we'd be doing them. i don't think most self-respecting qbank question writers can stoop that low. . . .

agreed, though, that your best assessment tool would be an nbme exam. personally, i wouldn't recommend taking the usmle after you've started your rotations. the material is fresh right now, and you'd likely lose at least some of it during the next month. and, unless you have time off, can you really estimate how busy you'll be during your rotations later in the summer?[/

Hypothetically, what if an allo student purchased the Kaplan Qbank w/both USMLE and COMLEX questions? I think that if this were me and one day I felt like doing a block of Kaplan's COMLEX questions I'd think DO students wouldn't know there a$s from a hole in the ground. The Kaplan COMLEX ?'s are that bad. I took the COMLEX on Thurs and I thought that the 50 question released test from NBOME was a pretty comparable set of questions.

Also, I think I had pretty much the same COMLEX as the OP as mine was loaded with bugs and drugs (Neiseria, metronidazole, etc.). Also, a lot of stuff related to receptors. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. All in all I thought it was a fair test that was straightforward a.k.a. anti-Kaplan USMLE.

Is it true that Kaplan COMLEX Q Bank questions are nothing like the actual exam? The official nbome practice test isn't very similar. (not expecting the usmle bank questions to be representative).:cool:

Also, how does the interface look? I found usmleword's to be the closest to usmle, but heard comlex is supposed to be different. Is it true that there are no highlight and strike-out options?

Oh and yeah my dean of academics said that statisticaly the longer you wait after finishing second year to take both exams, the worse you do. He said folks who fail do best if they study for 1 week and retake it, so I wouldnt try and take usmle on rotations.

I thought the official NBOME practice exam was similar to the real deal. Also, the layout of the NBOME form is similar to the interface of the actual test. I thought Kaplan's COMLEX were pretty much useless. I don't think the actual test has a strikeout option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan comlex qbank worthless? usmleworld is way harder, not representative... so what the heck am I supposed to work on? Any advice on anything you wish you knew going in now that it is over? Congrats on getting through it, I just want to be done already...

BATiger said:
Kaplan comlex qbank worthless? usmleworld is way harder, not representative... so what the heck am I supposed to work on? Any advice on anything you wish you knew going in now that it is over? Congrats on getting through it, I just want to be done already...
I'm also curious. For those of you that already took it, what Qbank did you find most similar to the questions in terms of difficulty?

Thanks for all your advice on this thread, guys. I just took NBME form 2 (which took me nearly all day! I did untimed, finished each block in around 50-60 mins, but then went back and wrote down stuff to look up/try to memorize); scored a 430/201. Not stellar, but it's passing. It really helped me recognize my areas of greatest weakness (looks like I'm going to be doing a LOT of biochem and cell biology/injury over the next few days). I'm exhausted, but feeling like it's not insurmountable. Again, thank you for all your advice. Hopefully this will all be worth it when I apply to allopathic residencies and don't have to explain COMLEX.

Thanks for all your advice on this thread, guys. I just took NBME form 2 (which took me nearly all day! I did untimed, finished each block in around 50-60 mins, but then went back and wrote down stuff to look up/try to memorize); scored a 430/201. Not stellar, but it's passing. It really helped me recognize my areas of greatest weakness (looks like I'm going to be doing a LOT of biochem and cell biology/injury over the next few days). I'm exhausted, but feeling like it's not insurmountable. Again, thank you for all your advice. Hopefully this will all be worth it when I apply to allopathic residencies and don't have to explain COMLEX.
hey....thats a great starting point...you're definitely in a good position w/ the time you've got left and being aware of your weaknesses.....if you're looking for something thats short n sweet for molecular, the original version of HY cell & molec has been absolutely money for the UWorld and NBMEs....and for Biochem, I really haven't encountered more then a couple q's that couldn't be answered if you had a full understanding of the Biochem thats in First Aid...good luck

Hey guys,

For those of you that took COMLEX I was wondering if you could elab. on the test format itself. I know it is different than the USMLE. Specifically if you had any tips about the computers (contrast etc.), timing, blocks, optional breaks? Did you guys have any computer probs? Advice for those of us that are old fashioned and used to pencil and scantron!!!

Thanks,

BMW-

Hey guys,

For those of you that took COMLEX I was wondering if you could elab. on the test format itself. I know it is different than the USMLE. Specifically if you had any tips about the computers (contrast etc.), timing, blocks, optional breaks? Did you guys have any computer probs? Advice for those of us that are old fashioned and used to pencil and scantron!!!

Thanks,

BMW-

I had no problems with the computer/interface at all. The monitors at my Prometric site were large, clear, and well-calibrated for optimal contrast. It's *exactly* the same interface as the 50 practice questions on the NBOME website. You get a short tutorial at the beginning. After that, it starts your 4-hour morning block. Each 4-hr block consists of 4 blocks of 50 questions each. You can review your questions at any point throughout the block, and then at the end, it brings up your review screen and shows you which questions you've marked, which you've left blank, etc. Once you finish the 50 question block, you can't go back. After the second such block, it offers you a 10-minute break (this counts against your time). If you don't take the break, you can just click "next" and continue. I don't know how some people's bladders hold out, but I had to take all my breaks! After the 4th block of 50 questions, you get your optional lunch break (40 min, doesn't count against your time). The cycle is repeated during your afternoon session, w/a break after the first two sections. At the end, there's a little survey that you can answer about the test.

so where on the nbome.org website do we find these practice exams?

Am I correct that there is a pencil and paper one (200 questions) and a computer one (50 questions)?

When I hit practice exams I know how to get to the pencil and paper one that you send in for, but how do we get the 50 question computer based exam?

Thanks.

so where on the nbome.org website do we find these practice exams?

Am I correct that there is a pencil and paper one (200 questions) and a computer one (50 questions)?

When I hit practice exams I know how to get to the pencil and paper one that you send in for, but how do we get the 50 question computer based exam?

Thanks.

It's here: http://www.nbome.org/CBT2006/data/level1/index.htm

I had no problems with the computer/interface at all. The monitors at my Prometric site were large, clear, and well-calibrated for optimal contrast. It's *exactly* the same interface as the 50 practice questions on the NBOME website. You get a short tutorial at the beginning. After that, it starts your 4-hour morning block. Each 4-hr block consists of 4 blocks of 50 questions each. You can review your questions at any point throughout the block, and then at the end, it brings up your review screen and shows you which questions you've marked, which you've left blank, etc. Once you finish the 50 question block, you can't go back. After the second such block, it offers you a 10-minute break (this counts against your time). If you don't take the break, you can just click "next" and continue. I don't know how some people's bladders hold out, but I had to take all my breaks! After the 4th block of 50 questions, you get your optional lunch break (40 min, doesn't count against your time). The cycle is repeated during your afternoon session, w/a break after the first two sections. At the end, there's a little survey that you can answer about the test.

When you said the 10 min break counts against your time, does that mean if you take the break you have 1hour 50min left to finish the last 2 sections??

When you said the 10 min break counts against your time, does that mean if you take the break you have 1hour 50min left to finish the last 2 sections??

Depends on how long you took for your first two sections. I took almost an hour on my first section, but closer to 45 mins on my second section, so I had 2 hrs. 15 mins for my last two blocks (2 hrs 5 mins after my pee break). The morning and afternoon blocks are each out of 4 hrs; the 50-question blocks don't run out of time after an hour. You have to budget your time accordingly!

Do you think the content of those practice questions is similar to the level of difficulty of the real test? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect since I was told on here those paper practice Qs aren't very representative. :confused:
Anyway, thanks for pointing this resource out. It's nice to at least know what the format looks like!

Good luck with the USMLE! Since I havent taken it yet I can't offer much advice but I definitely think UW's qs have taught me a lot so far. :)

I thought it was a good reflection of the real deal.

I agree. One of those 50 questions was even on my exam! It may have just been experimental, but yeah - those questions are VERY similar to what's on the test. Also, I've heard that those old 200 questions *are* representative of the actual test. I don't know who to believe...

Karine,

Thanks so much for all of your advice. You said the 40 min lunch DOES NOT count against your time? On the NBOME it says it does. Have they changed that now?

So the blocks are just 4hrs and then 4hrs PM no time called after each 50Qs. Wow, so you really do have to keep good track of time

Thanks again for the link to the online Q's. It is kind of hidden

BMW-

I agree. One of those 50 questions was even on my exam! It may have just been experimental, but yeah - those questions are VERY similar to what's on the test. Also, I've heard that those old 200 questions *are* representative of the actual test. I don't know who to believe...

My friend took it last week and finished almost 2 hrs early, he says time is not a big issue... the questions are short and starightforward for the most part.

Well I took COMLEX today and let me tell you it is like night and day compared to the USMLE. The first 200 questions this morning were absolutely the easiest questions I have seen in a while. All of them were very straightforward, one step questions. A far cry from the USMLE. However, in the afternoon the question were absolutely horrible. The questions were poorly written to say the least. I've done questions on Kaplan's QBank (USMLE and COMLEX) and UW, and I have always been able to decipher what the test writer wanted for an answer. There were multiple questions I spent > 3 minutes reading and re-reading just to figure out what they wanted or were asking. Of course, there were the straight forward MOA and what bug is this questions mixed in, but otherwise I found the questions to be very vague. Fortunately as the afternoon went on the questions started to look more like the morning questions. I'm hoping that the majority of the questions I thought were "off the wall" are the experimental questions. Overall, I thought the UMSLE was "easier" because I thought the answers were at least deducible. Of course the emphasis on each is completely different, much more bug/drugs/neuro/anatomy on COMLEX versus the molecular/biochem/genetics on the USMLE. I didn't think the either had very difficult physiology or pathology. Oh and if you're taking COMLEX you should completely ignore histology/embryology/biostat/ethics as there were absolutely 0 questions on my exam. Very few biochemistry questions as well, maybe ten total. Anyway, it's time to go relax and enjoy my five day vacation before my surgery clerkship starts! woo hoo!!

Well I took COMLEX today and let me tell you it is like night and day compared to the USMLE. The first 200 questions this morning were absolutely the easiest questions I have seen in a while. All of them were very straightforward, one step questions. A far cry from the USMLE. However, in the afternoon the question were absolutely horrible. The questions were poorly written to say the least. I've done questions on Kaplan's QBank (USMLE and COMLEX) and UW, and I have always been able to decipher what the test writer wanted for an answer. There were multiple questions I spent > 3 minutes reading and re-reading just to figure out what they wanted or were asking. Of course, there were the straight forward MOA and what bug is this questions mixed in, but otherwise I found the questions to be very vague. Fortunately as the afternoon went on the questions started to look more like the morning questions. I'm hoping that the majority of the questions I thought were "off the wall" are the experimental questions. Overall, I thought the UMSLE was "easier" because I thought the answers were at least deducible. Of course the emphasis on each is completely different, much more bug/drugs/neuro/anatomy on COMLEX versus the molecular/biochem/genetics on the USMLE. I didn't think the either had very difficult physiology or pathology. Oh and if you're taking COMLEX you should completely ignore histology/embryology/biostat/ethics as there were absolutely 0 questions on my exam. Very few biochemistry questions as well, maybe ten total. Anyway, it's time to go relax and enjoy my five day vacation before my surgery clerkship starts! woo hoo!!

Today's COMLEX was interesting to say the least. I completed the morning session with an hour to spare and this was after going over each section twice. I walked back in for the afternoon and wondered what happened to my previous test as the second half began with actual paragraphed questions with necessary thinking involved. I think I hit about 10 in a row where I really said WTF (meanwhile some idiot next to me that obviously can't type is pounding on his keyboard). Funny how an exam can change so drastically. All in all, the 5th section made me nervous for the rest of the exam as I was scared to see what would come at me next. The exam was a bit overly clinical at times and seemed like a OB/GYN test to say the least. Meanwhile, you get to see where the loopholes in your education were. There were several points that I simply just had never seen before. Sometimes you are left wondering if the board is trying to trick you or if they just screwed up the question. Anyone know how many questions are experimental?

Today's COMLEX was interesting to say the least. I completed the morning session with an hour to spare and this was after going over each section twice. I walked back in for the afternoon and wondered what happened to my previous test as the second half began with actual paragraphed questions with necessary thinking involved. I think I hit about 10 in a row where I really said WTF (meanwhile some idiot next to me that obviously can't type is pounding on his keyboard). Funny how an exam can change so drastically. All in all, the 5th section made me nervous for the rest of the exam as I was scared to see what would come at me next. The exam was a bit overly clinical at times and seemed like a OB/GYN test to say the least. Meanwhile, you get to see where the loopholes in your education were. There were several points that I simply just had never seen before. Sometimes you are left wondering if the board is trying to trick you or if they just screwed up the question. Anyone know how many questions are experimental?

Did we take the same test?!?!?! WOW, I'm just glad someone else had the same experience as me. Why were they so freaking hung up on Female Repro?! Every other question had something to do with LH/FSH/Estrogen/Contraception. I'm glad it's over and I just hope I score well despite the off the wall questions in the afternoon.

It seems like the two people who took it today had the same form, did you guys take it at the same place/time?

I was wandering if anyone knows how the test is generated,
do people who take it the same day have the same form,
What about different times say someone takes it a 8am and someone at 10 am?
theres also rumors that the better you do the harder it gets.
just wandering?

agreed, though, that your best assessment tool would be an nbme exam. personally, i wouldn't recommend taking the usmle after you've started your rotations. the material is fresh right now, and you'd likely lose at least some of it during the next month. and, unless you have time off, can you really estimate how busy you'll be during your rotations later in the summer?

There are ,compiled post-exam Qbanks, AKA Master's/Kings guide to comlex 1 outhere, which are basically the same as the real deal.

for those that have taken the comlex exam recently...was the neuroanatomy very tough? what review book/books did you use that were good? also, have any of you used first aid for comlex/first aid 250 cases? thanks!

Man i am getting stressed now! 11 days left!! Where to focus!!!!???

Man i am getting stressed now! 11 days left!! Where to focus!!!!???

Relax! 11 days is a lot. If I had to do it over, I would've done a lot more memorization of bugs, drugs, and anatomy/neuro. Seriously, most of the other stuff is long-term memory of path and OMM that you've learned over the past two years. Know your bugs really well, know antibiotics, know as much neuro & anatomy as possible, definitely review endocrine and female repro (they LOVE female repro!), review upper and lower extremity anatomy (esp. functions of muscles and innervations), and...uh...that's about it. I spent so much time on cardio and renal; these subjects were barely represented on my exam (except a few questions on diuretics - definitely study those).

Good luck. Take some deep breaths, and maybe some Valerian root. ;)

Thanks Karine. You know its funny you can be an above average student in class but still be scared as h*ll about these boards.

Thank you all for posting your experiences!! It is truly appreciated. Did you get scratch paper or dry erase board ?

Friends,

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I took USMLE today and figured I'd share my opinion. Compared to COMLEX it was tougher in terms of a lot less one step questions, but at the same time was written much better. People aren't kidding when they say there is an as$load of of biochem/genetics. Know the path of the disease and ALSO its mode of inheritance. I also felt that there was quite a lot of Immuno. I thought that HY Immuno was a quick read and very beneficial. Hardly any anatomy, but a fair amount of Neuro - a decent amount more of MRI's of the head and brainstem compared to COMLEX. The micro and pharm questions were similar to those on COMLEX. Well dudes/dudettes, feel free to contact me w/any questions. I'll be boozing in Miami for several days, but will try to be in touch. Good luck to all and if I can do it anyone can.

Business

So what does, being at the top or bottom?

I think that being in the top 5% of the class (I am not - so this is purely unvalidated speculation) probably has a significance to your USMLE/CRAPLEX score.

I think everyone thats in the top half but not in the top 5% - its a wash - and doesnt carry much significance.

Relax! 11 days is a lot. If I had to do it over, I would've done a lot more memorization of bugs, drugs, and anatomy/neuro. Seriously, most of the other stuff is long-term memory of path and OMM that you've learned over the past two years. Know your bugs really well, know antibiotics, know as much neuro & anatomy as possible, definitely review endocrine and female repro (they LOVE female repro!), review upper and lower extremity anatomy (esp. functions of muscles and innervations), and...uh...that's about it. I spent so much time on cardio and renal; these subjects were barely represented on my exam (except a few questions on diuretics - definitely study those).

Good luck. Take some deep breaths, and maybe some Valerian root. ;)

Hey Karine, I'm wondering if the knowing of "bugs" includes knowing the virus specifics such as DNA vs RNA single strand double, which has capsid, all that genetic junk with them too? I've been concentrating on the bacteria and the fungus and very little on the parasites except the main ones. Do I need to memorize the details of viruses and parsites is what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

There are ,compiled post-exam Qbanks, AKA Master's/Kings guide to comlex 1 outhere, which are basically the same as the real deal.

This is the second time I've seen this mentioned...how hard is this to get ahold of? I can't find anything on google or ebay.

Bigdreamer, I had hardly any virology on my CRAPLEX (as Buckeye calls it), so memorizing that big intimidating chart in 1st Aid did jack squat for me. I'd concentrate on parasites and fungi though - a lot of that crap was asked. I had a trypanosoma question and a Leishmaniasis one too.

Anyone know what the pass rate on this exam is? Not indivual schools but overall? Just curious.....Not looking to specialize just primary care and I just want to pass.

BMW-