Should I take COMLEX 1 while it is still scored?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently scheduled to take COMLEX 1 May 20th, but the last day to take it scored is May 9th. My NBME'S have been 200->200->223->215. Just took COMSAE 1 and got a 596. I'm taking Step 1 on May 16th. Would a Pass on Step 1 and a high COMLEX score look better than just a P for both? I can change things up quickly or leave it the way that it is. Being a guinea pig class is not fun. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. I scored 50-100 points better on each comlex than the comsaes (so did everyone I know irl). A score above average is always better than a P
But what if say I took it and didn't do well (like a 400), wouldn't that be worse? I know that might be a low chance but still a chance. At least w/ a P it could have been a 700 and they would never know.

That’s true. It’s possible. And physicians are usually risk averse people. You have to decide that for yourself. However, I find it highly unlikely you would go from a comsae of 596 to 400 on comlex. Highly unlikely. Unless you were cheating on the thing (but let’s be real even if you tried with those questions it probably would lower your score lol). I used comquest for each step and it predicted my level score almost spot on for each exam.

Seeing an above average numerical value will 100% be advantageous to you above just a P. Especially if you can do the same on step/ level 2.
Do you think PD's would even know/care about a comlex score though? I always hear that's why we should take step if because they don't understand comlex scoring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on your field of choice . Ones with more DOs will care ones with less probably less so. Regardless, I can spend less than 20 seconds to look up my percentile from comlex 1. It’s always to your advantage to have as many positive aspects of your application as possible. Above average comlex > a P. Not only that but they can filter out those who don’t have a score. Or set their minimum to whatever they want to filter out apps

What are you interested in?
That’s a great question but I have no idea. EM is probably the most competitive thing I would consider or maybe academic peds. Just not surgery of any kind.