Pre-meds making green tea for studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot that green tea is really good when studying for a test, I heard that it increases concentration and focus. The problem is I don't know how to make it. Does anyone know a really cheap but effective way of making it? Any reccomendation on ingredients to increase its effectiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

...boil water
drop teabag in water
steep
mmm

If you add speed then you will not fall asleep either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drink black tea in the mornings to wake me up. Works like coffee but doesnt make you a nervous wreck.

...boil water
drop teabag in water
steep
mmm

Ha, seriously man. Here's directions on boiling if you're still confused.

But yah, actually I drink green tea quite a bit for a caffeine source. It makes me feel a lot better afterward than slamming a bunch of Mountain Dews.

...boil water
drop teabag in water
steep
mmm

What brand of tea bag should I buy? Any reccomendations?

I'd go with the cheapest off-brand. It's all the same-- no use in paying 50% more for Lipton when you could get Kroger brand.

I take the pills. I need my flavonoids.:hardy:

I tried Tapal Green Tea with Jasmine and it was the best tea I've ever had. You would probably have to find it at an Indian/Pakistani grocery store. Other than that, I think they all taste the same. Add some honey...mmm.

You could always go crazy and get some "white tea" at $14/packet.

Fit for an emperor!

mmm green tea

Green teas the stuff - drink it all day - but all that peeing might make you lose valuable study time :)

I like Stash brand green teas. You can get a sampler box with all sorts of different flavors, like chai green tea, mint green tea, original, green/white blend (my fave), etc. It's available at most grocery stores 'round here.

Members don't see this ad :)
...boil water
drop teabag in water
steep
mmm

The best thing about this is that the instructions work for other types of tea too.

I personally drink Japanese green tea that I buy at this little mom and pop store, and I doubt you can get the same brand if you're someplace else. Just go to your neighborhood Chinese, Korean, or Japanese grocery store, and they should have a variety of teas to choose from.

I like Stash brand green teas. You can get a sampler box with all sorts of different flavors, like chai green tea, mint green tea, original, green/white blend (my fave), etc. It's available at most grocery stores 'round here.

i agree! stash is the brand i use...the green/white tea blend is also my favorite :thumbup:

I have read a lot that green tea is really good when studying for a test, I heard that it increases concentration and focus. The problem is I don't know how to make it. Does anyone know a really cheap but effective way of making it? Any reccomendation on ingredients to increase its effectiveness?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Love the stuff. Drink it all the time.

At first I thought this thread was ridiculous and stupid, but I actually gained some good info. I have bought lipton green tea but i don't like it too much, so I'll try what you guys have suggested

Don't buy bagged tea; it's what's left over at the bottom of the truck after the good stuff is packed up. Buy a pound or so of loose leaf sencha from http://www.specialteas.com and it will end up costing less than the bagged while tasting a lot better.

Despite snark to the contrary, preparing it isn't as easy as it sounds. Let the water cool a few minutes before pouring, or you'll get a very bitter cup and hate the stuff. Also, don't brew a pot; everything after the first few cups will be swill...one cup at a time.

Good luck! Green tea got me through a lot of anatomy all-nighters during MS1.

adagio.com

when i have money i buy from adagio. every teeny little can is full of win.

also, when the tins are empty, you can make the coolest candles out of them :biglove:

when i have money i buy from adagio. every teeny little can is full of win.

also, when the tins are empty, you can make the coolest candles out of them :biglove:
Yeah most Adagio teas are winners. At $2-7 for a tin and $3 for 2-day shipping in Cali, it's happy times all around. It does get pricey in the winter months but in the summer, iced tea lasts a day or two.

My GF hates tea but she drinks it with me just to get the tins. I'll have to mention the candles idea to her before she mutinies and makes me go back to Starbucks.

http://www.modafinil.com/healthy.html

I use Modafinil. Its a nootropic drug, much better than caffeine or amphetamines, and amazing at boosting concentration, awareness, and eliminating the need to sleep or any drowsy feeling whatsoever.

Heck yeah. Modafinil's caffeine 2.0. $6-7 a pill, unfortunately, but if you buy Modalert from India you can get it for around $2. Also concentration-enhancing; it can (sometimes dramatically) slow or reverse dementia in the elderly. A triumph of modern medicine.

I have a hard time taking seriously anything that is called "stash" and consists of dried leaves. :laugh:

Heck yeah. Modafinil's caffeine 2.0. $6-7 a pill, unfortunately, but if you buy Modalert from India you can get it for around $2. Also concentration-enhancing; it can (sometimes dramatically) slow or reverse dementia in the elderly. A triumph of modern medicine.

I'm surprised anyone else has ever heard of the stuff. I buy from New Zealand, brand "Modavigil." I'd strongly recommend it, because it is made by Cephalon (rather than Sun Pharma), which is of much higher quality (although, sadly, much higher price). It has done wonders for me, I've been able to retain tiny things said in class, I never "Head bob" anymore, and I am a beast on tests. It's a beautiful wonder of modern medicine, you are correct.

I'd go with the cheapest off-brand. It's all the same-- no use in paying 50% more for Lipton when you could get Kroger brand.

Wrong. It is like comparing Folgers coffee to Celebes or Sumatra that you grind yourself. If you live in a city, you can find a specialty tea shop...just buy a pound of high quality green tea in bulk and steep the tea in one of those little metal tea brewers that let boiling water flow through....It is like comparing a great french pinot noir with a two dollar bottle of Gallo wine...You will spend an extra $10 a month, but well worth it. Women, wine, coffee and tea....if you go for the cheapest, you deserve what you get. Trust me on this.

Yeah most Adagio teas are winners. At $2-7 for a tin and $3 for 2-day shipping in Cali, it's happy times all around. It does get pricey in the winter months but in the summer, iced tea lasts a day or two.

My GF hates tea but she drinks it with me just to get the tins. I'll have to mention the candles idea to her before she mutinies and makes me go back to Starbucks.

:love::love::love:
There's this awesome little shop in Ft. Collins, CO that sells candle wax chips and anchored wicks. As long as you keep the tins on top of something that can tolerate heat (old non-vinyl mousepads work pretty well) they really rock.

...and considering how fast i go through green tea tins, i'm all set in the case of zombie/alien/etc. invasions that render me without electricity.