AAMC Practice Exam 10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone took this exam, would you please help me in understanding Question 54? I just do not get the solution. The question is, "Dort mentions sinkholes in order," and I said "to eliminate an alternative hypothesis regarding the formation of the crater," or answer choice A. Now, they say it's B, "to impress the reader with the uniqueness of the discovery," and they say A is wrong because: "The elimination of an alternative hypothesis is the reason for the reference to sinkholes, with the explanation that 'the rock formations aren't the sort to collapse and form sinkholes.'"

So I don't get it. The solution, and I again quote, says, "The elimination of an alternative hypothesis is the reason for the reference to sinkholes," so how the HELL is my answer choice wrong?! The question stem says, "Dort mentions sinkholes in order:" If Dort mentions sinkholes to show A, then A is the reason for reference to the sinkholes, where A means "to eliminate an alternative hypothesis regarding the formation of the crater."

Some VR guru please explain why the real answer is B. I do not see why that choice is plausible, and I CANNOT see why my choice is wrong. After all, THE AUTHOR, but not DORT, mentions sinkholes to impress the reader with the uniqueness of the discovery. Not to mention Dort was the one who was impressed, he wasn't the one trying to do all the impressing. Think about it.

To be honest, I think it's a error in the system, because the solution clearly supports A over B. I'd like to hear from anyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way. In answer to your question: "the MCAT gods are infallible". Wish I could give you something better, but AAMC explanations are about as useful as those supplied by EK.

I had the same issue. I just assumed it was an error on their part and moved on. Clearly either their answer choice or explanation was wrong because they didn't match. Don't worry about it too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, I did the exact same passage today and I thought the same exact thing when I went over my incorrect answers.

Ridiculous really...

that happened to me TOO! i'm glad everybody else thought that was wrong. i was annoyed about it.

I read there explanation today and I said, "I'm doomed because I don't understand their reasoning." At least I know I am not loosing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.