Your typical day on Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your typical day as an intern? I hear:

6am - 7am: Round on patients

7am-8am: Morning report - the intern that was on call the night prior will present an interesting patient and get grilled by the attendings no matter how well it was handled

8am-noon: New admits, work with the MSIII and IV

noon - 1:30: lecture

1:30 - 5:30PM: work, work, work

Members don't see this ad.

7am-8am: Morning report - the intern that was on call the night prior will present an interesting patient and get grilled by the attendings no matter how well it was handled

Sounds pretty reasonable only we don't do morning report. I get there at 6:30 to preround and then we work round with the resident around 7:30. Meet with the attending around 9:30 to discuss patients, do a little teaching, round until lunch, then lunch conference. 2 days a week we do intern report after lunch conference which is similar to morning report. then it's work work work until 5:30 or 6:00 when we sign out to night float. Call days work a little differently because one intern stays overnight while the rest of the team leaves probably around 9:30. (It's kind of a hybrid traditional call program/night float program).

Medicine:
6am - 7:30am: preround
7:30am - 8:30am: morning report
8:30am - noon: attending rounds (medicine rounds are often long)
noon - 1pm: noon conference/lunch
1pm - 3pm: afternoon/resident rounds (teaching rounds)
3pm - 6pm: catch up on work, sign out, go home

Surgery:
5am - 6:30am: preround
6:30am - 7am: run list with attending
7am - noon: OR
noon - 12:30pm: lunch
12:30pm - 4:30pm: OR
4:30pm - 6pm: attending/work rounds
6pm - 7pm: catch up on work, sign out, go home

Members don't see this ad :)
5:30- 7:30am: preround (I can't see 5-6 patients in less than 2 hours...maybe someday...)
7:30am - 9:00am: morning report
9:00am - 11:30am: attending rounds/work on the fly (ordering stuff, etc.)
noon - 1pm: noon conference/lunch
1pm - 3pm: work, admit (if you are carrying the ER call pager), work, work, try to read
3pm - 6pm: catch up on work, admit, sign out, go home

How nice to have 2 hours in the afternoon for learning...no such luck here.

How nice to have 2 hours in the afternoon for learning...no such luck here.

You bring up a good point.

Each service can be drastically different from another.

In fact, the service can be drastically different from week to week depending on which attending is rounding that week. Different hospitals, different services, different geographic locations and even the lunar cycle can affect the day to day details of a particular service.

What are the calls like at the programs y'all bring up? I hear q14 at some programs :eek:

What are the calls like at the programs y'all bring up? I hear q14 at some programs :eek:

We have 2 2-week stints of night float/year. Other than that, call is ER admit only during the week, ends at 5:30. Every other weekend you are on, which means 24 hour call from sat am-sun am. Floor call can be taken from home any time but obviously you have to come in for admits during the night on weekends when night float is off.

6am-9am pre round
9-9:30 round with attending till 11 am or so
11-12 pm - round with 2nd attending
noon-1 = noon conference (usually 12:15+ for me since 2nd attending never finishes anywhere near on time)
1-4 = scut, finish notes if need be, etc
responsible for any admissions between 7 am to 4 pm

during med months on call about 4-5 times a month
during non med months(except anest and er?) on call twice for ICU (I think)