physiatry vs physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a pre-med, possibly interested in physiatry and wanting to learn more. I am asking this question not to confuse a Doctor with a physical therapist (who I guess now in the age of DPT, is a 'doctor' too) but more because I don't nessesarily know the realms of each profession. Obviously the knowledge base in physiatry is going to be more expansive, but what does that come down to as far as procedural, clinical enviroment?

thanks
Laura

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a pre-med, possibly interested in physiatry and wanting to learn more. I am asking this question not to confuse a Doctor with a physical therapist (who I guess now in the age of DPT, is a 'doctor' too) but more because I don't nessesarily know the realms of each profession. Obviously the knowledge base in physiatry is going to be more expansive, but what does that come down to as far as procedural, clinical enviroment?

thanks
Laura

try to do a search in this forum on the topic - there have been many threads on that.

Just found some thansk

Members don't see this ad :)
also LauraDO, check out the AAPM&R website and possibly get a resident mentor that can give u some more personalized advice and information about PMR.

also LauraDO, check out the AAPM&R website and possibly get a resident mentor that can give u some more personalized advice and information about PMR.

Thanks so much I really appreciate it. I think that I could really enjoy PMR, when I decided to go into the medical field, I actually thought about physical therapy, but thought I would be frustrated with the limited knowledge base. I am especially interested in the neurological side of PMR, both from a clinical and research perspective- (not to mention that every single 'what is the best speciality for you' test I take ranks pmr and neurology as tied for first place)

The goals are the same (to increase mobility), however in reality, the day to day work of Physical Therapy has nothing in common with Physiatry.